How's Gingerbread Coming

db306

Reaction score
Was wondering how Drod was making out with porting gingerbread to the x. I remember a while ago that he solicited for donations on twitter to go to Google I/O and said that he would work full time on the x if he got enough money for a ticket. Lately all I've seen is talk of the thunderbolt and work on a tb rom. Not trying to start anything here but it would be nice to see or here something. Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seems like a reasonable question to me, shouldn't and won't draw any flaming.

Have you tried twitter to reach him or does he have a web site?

OP
D

db306

Reaction score
Not sure. I've been following him on twitter but just have seen talk of the tbolt

Porkweasel

Reaction score
I hear you. It seems like a lot of developers have been jumping to work on the Thunderbolt...but I can't say I blame them. It is the hot item right now, but I don't think they (the developers) would just completely jump ship and abandon working on the DX. In fact I don't even think Drod has one...I remember reading that he has a Fascinate. I'm sure he'll get to working on Gingerbread for the DX at some point, if he hasn't already. I just wish Verizon and Moto would push an official GB update to really give the dev's something to work with. :)

For now, the money that we do donate does go a long way toward rewarding all these guys for the hard work and time they put in to make our devices work better than any company is allowing them to work from stock. I've been following some of the dev's on Twitter and I can sense a lot of frustration because people donate and immediately expect something in return (i'm not saying you're doing that by the way). All I can say is patience is a virtue a lot of people can practice and I think we'll all have something great from Drod and the other dev's in the near future.

:)

Was wondering how Drod was making out with porting gingerbread to the x. I remember a while ago that he solicited for donations on twitter to go to Google I/O and said that he would work full time on the x if he got enough money for a ticket. Lately all I've seen is talk of the thunderbolt and work on a tb rom. Not trying to start anything here but it would be nice to see or here something. Thanks

OP
D

db306

Reaction score
No I gotcha and understand that it not easy work and I'm certainly not trying to bash Drod because he has done some really amazing work. I just think they (all devs ) need to be a little careful about promising things that might not be able to be delivered. Not saying that's what he's doing but I think when people donate money for something they ought to be kept up to date regularly. If he is still working on it ( which would be great ) I just think it is only right to keep his followers/donators up to speed on progress or lack there of. Anyways like I said I'm not trying to bash but it would be nice to just get some regular news whether good or bad on how things are going.

pkbest

Reaction score
I hear you. It seems like a lot of developers have been jumping to work on the Thunderbolt...but I can't say I blame them. It is the hot item right now, but I don't think they (the developers) would just completely jump ship and abandon working on the DX. In fact I don't even think Drod has one...I remember reading that he has a Fascinate. I'm sure he'll get to working on Gingerbread for the DX at some point, if he hasn't already. I just wish Verizon and Moto would push an official GB update to really give the dev's something to work with. :)

[/QUOTE]

No, by talking to a few ppl on gtalk, and on twitter, DX is going to be dead man. I know of one developer that is working on GB release for DX. But Drod, amongst the many others have pretty much left for the Tbolt. Sad but true. I am learning to build rom's now so I can support DX, but it's not something you learn over night. I'll be posting on twitter status updates of when I have a working DX rom available.

Reaction score
I would expect that at some point if GB is officially released by Moto for the DX that you might see a revival...

But yes the DX is on it's way out and many devs are focusing on the latest and greatest devices.

Personally, I'm contemplating a jump to Sprint and the Nexus S 4G. The Nexus One is still getting some official love from Google and that makes me believe that the Nexus S will be on the latest and greatest versions for at least the next year, year and a half. And, not locked bootloader.

marcfogel

Reaction score
I would expect that at some point if GB is officially released by Moto for the DX that you might see a revival...

But yes the DX is on it's way out and many devs are focusing on the latest and greatest devices.

Personally, I'm contemplating a jump to Sprint and the Nexus S 4G. The Nexus One is still getting some official love from Google and that makes me believe that the Nexus S will be on the latest and greatest versions for at least the next year, year and a half. And, not locked bootloader.

I wish Verizon would get a Nexus. If not, I may jump to sprint as well.

OnMy2ndGP

Reaction score
Yeah, DRod had a TBolt now. Seen it on Twitter. Even had a pic of his new device. That's the way the balls bounces....old gets replaced by the new. Even if he never releases another rubiX I could live with that on my DX for the next year. I'm sure someone will have something for us...if not DRod himself. But......we will see. I'd be inclined to get my next device based off of what these devs that I know about have. Hacking *cough* rooting is such great fun....better yet, FREEDOM is grand. And the DX just doesn't seem like it'll ever cut the bootloader ball-n-chain. The new phrase is No-No-Moto! :icon_evil:

marcfogel

Reaction score
Yeah, DRod had a TBolt now. Seen it on Twitter. Even had a pic of his new device. That's the way the balls bounces....old gets replaced by the new. Even if he never releases another rubiX I could live with that on my DX for the next year. I'm sure someone will have something for us...if not DRod himself. But......we will see. I'd be inclined to get my next device based off of what these devs that I know about have. Hacking *cough* rooting is such great fun....better yet, FREEDOM is grand. And the DX just doesn't seem like it'll ever cut the bootloader ball-n-chain. The new phrase is No-No-Moto! :icon_evil:

I don't think he has had an X in a long time. He or someone from phoenix tweeted that they had no one to pick up the X.

pkbest

Reaction score

I don't think he has had an X in a long time. He or someone from phoenix tweeted that they had no one to pick up the X.

its still being supported. if it comes down to it. i might pick up some of it. i honestly dont have the time too though right now. 3 weeks of college left til i graduate and a wedding to plan for.. but we will see gingerbread "soonish". honestly guys, you are gonna see it and be like.. thats it? Its not like the phone gets revamped from a 2 to a 10 on the scale you know?

Smittys

Reaction score
Droid X last OS change (officially) will be to Gingerbread in April or May. It isn't abandoned. Plus, a Gingerbread ROM cant be made because the BL is locked.

marcfogel

Reaction score

its still being supported. if it comes down to it. i might pick up some of it. i honestly dont have the time too though right now. 3 weeks of college left til i graduate and a wedding to plan for.. but we will see gingerbread "soonish". honestly guys, you are gonna see it and be like.. thats it? Its not like the phone gets revamped from a 2 to a 10 on the scale you know?

Great. Thanks for the update

mcp770

Reaction score
My next phone will be whatever sprint has to offer in the unlocked boot loader category. Verizon has almost no customer incentive programs anymore and their pricing sucks. Sprint with my government discounts and unlimited mobile to mobile on any other carrier makes it a no brainer. Verizon kept me for years only with coverage and incentives like ret program. With those gone and calling cells still takes minutes from my plan I'm over them.

drod2169

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Droid X last OS change (officially) will be to Gingerbread in April or May. It isn't abandoned. Plus, a Gingerbread ROM cant be made because the BL is locked.

False information.