[HOW TO] Unlock Rezound's Bootloader [HTCdev.com]

jrredho

Reaction score
I'm going to assume there's no way to try from a Windows PC? There's no good reason for it not to work from Ubuntu because that's how I originally unlocked and rooted my phone but just throwing it out there as an option. I can't really think of anything else other than trying to get an exchange(if you can)from Verizon.

Hey Mr Smith,

Thanks again for your response.

Unfortunately, at this time it's not possible for me to try things with a Windows PC.

Like you, I've unlocked and rooted this device using Ubuntu. Several times. I'm having a difficult time believing that is the os. I'm using an up to date version of the sdk as well. :-(

I cannot think of any reason to wait any longer to flash the global ruu. Maybe the updated hboot will remove the restriction I've placed on myself...

Cheers,
John

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey Mr Smith,

Thanks again for your response.

Unfortunately, at this time it's not possible for me to try things with a Windows PC.

Like you, I've unlocked and rooted this device using Ubuntu. Several times. I'm having a difficult time believing that is the os. I'm using an up to date version of the sdk as well. :-(

I cannot think of any reason to wait any longer to flash the global ruu. Maybe the updated hboot will remove the restriction I've placed on myself...

Cheers,
John

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Yeah go for it. Hopefully everything works out for you. Keep us posted on your progress(if any)

jrredho

Reaction score
Yeah go for it. Hopefully everything works out for you. Keep us posted on your progress(if any)
Well, I'm back from flashing the Global Update ROM (of course, per your instructions, I did it twice); and, well, I can only report that the situation with unlocking for me is exactly the same: A no-go. :( Like I speculated before, I must've done something to toggle a write permission on that partition in the boot.img (or where ever that partition resides). I simply get no response, it hangs, when I try to flash to the unlocktoken partition. All other fastboot commands that I've tried get the expected responses---on both ROMs. Thanks for your help! cheers, john

jrredho

Reaction score
On Formatting Posts...

While I'm thinking about it: I cannot figure out how to get the forum software to take my posts without reformatting them! I put paragraphs in my post, and they're merged into one running line. Can someone make this easy on me, and suggest where I can look to find this out? thanks, john

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
It's not the forum app, it's tapatalk. That app has never taken paragraphs for some ungodly reason. If anyone knows how to fix that please let us know.

On your flashing problem, I can't even begin to understand why it's not taking the flash command. Fastboot flash is actually how you're supposed to flash whole partitions. I do have one thought. Try this fastboot and if need be this driver as well. I know the driver is a pre-sync driver so you won't have to turn sync off.

http://mypcdominion.com/Files/android/ROM_Tools/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe
http://mypcdominion.com/Files/android/ROM_Tools/CarePackage.zip

Make sure you don't have fastboot running. Check your task manager before starting the one in my zip file.

jrredho

Reaction score
Egad, I'm High Overhead...

Thanks, again, Mr Smith for your kind persistence!

It's not the forum app, it's tapatalk. That app has never taken paragraphs for some ungodly reason. If anyone knows how to fix that please let us know.

Actually, no, I'm using the web forum interface using firefox. So, while Tapatalk might also be a problem, the web interface was re-formatting my replies too. This is even after I made some changes to my Profile Settings. But, after I logged out and back in, voila! No more auto-formatting. :)

Now, back to the topic at hand...

On your flashing problem, I can't even begin to understand why it's not taking the flash command. Fastboot flash is actually how you're supposed to flash whole partitions. I do have one thought. Try this fastboot and if need be this driver as well. I know the driver is a pre-sync driver so you won't have to turn sync off.

http://mypcdominion.com/Files/android/ROM_Tools/CarePackage.zip

Make sure you don't have fastboot running. Check your task manager before starting the one in my zip file.

...I know what you mean. Am I correct in assuming this the unlocktoken partition is in the bootloader firmware section? If so, and if I'm S-on, can I actually flash that whole partition?

Thanks for the pointers, too.

(I'll try to find a Windows PC to try them with. I'll also have to look at some of the Windows-oriented tutorials to understand what you mean by "Task Manager" and "sync"!)

cheers,
john

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks, again, Mr Smith for your kind persistence!

Actually, no, I'm using the web forum interface using firefox. So, while Tapatalk might also be a problem, the web interface was re-formatting my replies too. This is even after I made some changes to my Profile Settings. But, after I logged out and back in, voila! No more auto-formatting. :)

Now, back to the topic at hand...

...I know what you mean. Am I correct in assuming this the unlocktoken partition is in the bootloader firmware section? If so, and if I'm S-on, can I actually flash that whole partition?

Thanks for the pointers, too.

(I'll try to find a Windows PC to try them with. I'll also have to look at some of the Windows-oriented tutorials to understand what you mean by "Task Manager" and "sync"!)

cheers,
john

Crap, I forgot you were using a Linux box.

jrredho

Reaction score
Yes, although it hasn't really been a problem before. I'll see what I can do about borrowing a windows pc; I'll keep you posted as I learn more... :)

Thanks!

Cheers,
John

amschmid

Reaction score
Mr Smith,
Do you have any other ideas for me? I've completely started over but am having the same problem. Here's what I've done now:
• I deleted/uninstalled everything I had downloaded in previous attempts to root my phone.
• I re-installed HTC Sync for the sake of the drivers, then exited it and checked to make sure that the process was not still running.
• I downloaded the ADT bundle from Google and, per their instructions, ran Eclipse to install the SDK.
• With the phone in USB debugging mode, I opened a command prompt in the "platform tools" folder that includes adb and fastboot.
• I typed "adb devices" and it displayed the serial number of the phone.

I then followed the directions on the HTC development page to unlock the bootloader.
• I copied adb, fastboot, and AdbWinApi.dll into a new folder C:\android
• I pulled and re-inserted the battery, restarted it in bootloader mode, and selected fastboot.
• I opened a command prompt in the “android” folder created above and entered “fastboot oem get_identifier_token”
• It got stuck on “waiting for device”
• I opened a new command prompt in the “platform tools” folder where all three were copied from, and entered the command again with the same results.
• In both places, I tried “fastboot devices” and it just brought up a new command line underneath the original.

I’m following the directions to the letter, and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. What should I do next?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Mr Smith,
Do you have any other ideas for me? I've completely started over but am having the same problem. Here's what I've done now:

I then followed the directions on the HTC development page to unlock the bootloader.
• I copied adb, fastboot, and AdbWinApi.dll into a new folder C:\android
• I pulled and re-inserted the battery, restarted it in bootloader mode, and selected fastboot.
• I opened a command prompt in the “android” folder created above and entered “fastboot oem get_identifier_token”
• It got stuck on “waiting for device”
• I opened a new command prompt in the “platform tools” folder where all three were copied from, and entered the command again with the same results.
• In both places, I tried “fastboot devices” and it just brought up a new command line underneath the original.

Fastboot is a sticking point sometimes. Unplugging and re-plugging the phone(USB cable) in sometimes helps. Some people have to select "Fastboot USB" on their phone. You also want to make sure that it's being recognized by Windows, so go into your device manager and make sure you see the phone listed. I believe it would show up as "HTC Android device"

jrredho

Reaction score
I do have one thought. Try this fastboot and if need be this driver as well. I know the driver is a pre-sync driver so you won't have to turn sync off.

http://mypcdominion.com/Files/android/ROM_Tools/CarePackage.zip.

Hey Mr. Smith,

An update:

I finally tracked down a windows-based machine and, despite my complete ignorance of how to use it, was able to download your care packages above, install the htc device drivers, and *finally* unlock my blasted bootloader. :)

I wish you gadzilion thanks!

I just wish I could figure out a way to return your kind favor...

cheers,
john (although I'm still totally perplexed about why this no longer works on my linux machines)

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey Mr. Smith,

An update:

I finally tracked down a windows-based machine and, despite my complete ignorance of how to use it, was able to download your care packages above, install the htc device drivers, and *finally* unlock my blasted bootloader. :)

I wish you gadzilion thanks!

I just wish I could figure out a way to return your kind favor...

cheers,
john (although I'm still totally perplexed about why this no longer works on my linux machines)

Good to hear. When I get my new PC I'll put my old one back on Ubuntu and see if I have any issues. I do remember that I initially unlocked etc on Ubuntu.

jrredho

Reaction score
I do remember that I initially unlocked etc on Ubuntu.

Yeah, I did too!

And I relocked and re-unlocked when then the August ICS OTA update hit as well. Every time on that same computer, running that same version of Ubuntu.

I would really like to understand why it wouldn't work this time; I'm not that keen on scaring up a Windows computer every time I need to relock and re-unlock.

Thanks again. I've been stewing over this for 5 weeks now, so it's nice to be back where I was in the first place... With the exception that I've now updated to the Global OTA and Amon Ra 3.16. Sigh.

cheers,
john

zmr333

Reaction score
Alrighty, I get to the HTC part where it asks for the ID Token. I put it in, I press "Submit," and it loads for an extremely long time until I get this error. I don't understand why it hangs like this.View attachment 62013
NEVERMIND
Apparently HTC's site was being a banana. It works now.
:happy3:

Last edited:

amschmid

Reaction score
Fastboot is a sticking point sometimes. Unplugging and re-plugging the phone(USB cable) in sometimes helps. Some people have to select "Fastboot USB" on their phone. You also want to make sure that it's being recognized by Windows, so go into your device manager and make sure you see the phone listed. I believe it would show up as "HTC Android device"

Mr Smith,
I got distracted by other things, but I'm back to try this again.

When the phone is booted normally, it is recognized as "Android Phone" in Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Devices and Printers under the category of "devices," right next to the laptop itself. However, when I put it in bootloader, an error message pops up saying that it was not recognized and it shows up as "Android 1.0" under "unspecified" devices. Selecting Fastboot does not change this. I un-plugged the phone several times and got the same error message each time I plugged it back in. If I was getting that message before, either I didn't pay any attention or I just don't remember, but I'm getting it consistently now.

So, you're right, it's not being recognized. How do I fix that?