Rooting a Rezound on a Mac

rrweather

Reaction score
Hello All,

I originally posted in another thread looking for help. It was recommended that I start a new thread to get more help. I am trying to root my Rezound using my Mac. I am away from home right now and do not have access to a Windows computer, nor do I have a copy of windows installed on the mac. I am pretty much stuck using the Mac until I can borrow a PC from someone whenever I get home. So, if it's possible, I would like some help on doing this all from a Mac. I've read as many "How To" guides and watched every YouTube video I could find and nothing specifically deals with Macs. I know the process isn't too hugely different but I am stuck. Perhaps this will help some other Mac users.

My original intent was to simply root the phone so I could wifi tether. Then, eventually try a ROM. I don't mind the stock software if I could get rid of the annoying crap Verizon installs. If installing a ROM would make this process easier, I would try that. I've read as much as I can on S-OFF and S-ON and don't fully understand what ROMs need what. That stuff is over my head.

I have followed Mr. Smith's guide as much as possible with some success. Now I am stuck. Here are the specs from my phone:

Android Version: 4.0.3
HTC Sense Version: 3.6
Software number: 3.14....

I downloaded Android SDK and installed everything into a folder named 'Android-SDK' on my main HD. Within that folder, I have the 'platform-tools' folder. I signed up with HTC and found another forum post where a mac user walked you through unlocking the Rezound on a Mac. I was successful with the unlocking process. When I put my phone into HBOOT, it shows 'Unlocked.'

To Root, I downloaded Amon Ra (v3.15) and placed 'recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img' in my platform tools folder. I turned on USB debugging. If I go into terminal and type './adb devices' (no quotes) my phone's serial number pops up. I boot the phone into HBOOT and connect it to my computer. I am able to successfully get to the Android-SDK folder and/or the platform-tools folder. When I try giving the command 'Fastboot flash recovery recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img' I get the message "cannot load 'recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gmn.img'"

I am stuck at this point. From what I learned in other videos and/or threads, to send commands on a Mac, you use ./ at the beginning of the command. If I use ./adb, I get the list of adb commands. If I use ./adb devices, my device pops up. So I assume the command to fastboot would be ./Fastboot flash recovery recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img All I get when I do this is the message "cannot load 'recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gmn.img'"

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I assume the error is with something I am doing (or not doing). Thanks to Mr. Smith for the awesome guide. That has helped me more than anything else I've read. Thanks.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, you're doing great so far btw. Now what you need to do is give the proper path to recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img. So if you downloaded it to /users/you/desktop/recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img then you need to change the command to Fastboot flash recovery /users/you/desktop/recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img.

Or you could copy the recovery file into platform tools with the fastboot command. Whichever you find easier.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
I find it easiest and convenient to rename the file to recovery.img also I believe that Mr. Smiths instructions for rooting say the command is performed in HBOOT however I swear it had to be done in fastboot when I just rooted my replacement phone.

OP
R

rrweather

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I will try again renaming the file to something simpler. The file is already in the platform-tools folder so I have been trying to load it from there.I will also see if putting my phone in fastboot mode helps. I think I tried that last time but aren't positive so I will give it a shot. I will let you guys know. Thanks again.

OP
R

rrweather

Reaction score
Making progress...

Changing the name of the recovery file and putting my phone into fastboot worked. It sent the file, I then gave the reboot bootloader command. The phone rebooted. When I chose 'recovery' the phone instantly booted up. I never was never able to enter Amon Ra. Not sure what I should do at this point. Should I resend the recovery file or should I go into HBOOT and try 'recovery' again. Thanks again for the help.

OP
R

rrweather

Reaction score
Got into the recovery menu. I believe I have the SuperSu zip filed stored on my SD card. I am just not sure of which menus in AmonRa I should use to get it loaded. Thanks!

EDIT. Figured it out by looking at the AmonRa page. Looks like SuperSU installed from the SD card and Root Checker says the device is rooted. Thanks again for all the help. You guys are awesome.

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I find it easiest and convenient to rename the file to recovery.img also I believe that Mr. Smiths instructions for rooting say the command is performed in HBOOT however I swear it had to be done in fastboot when I just rooted my replacement phone.

HBoot is Fastboot ;-)

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Lol. I don't know why but I've always thought the two were different. Where HBOOT is the first screen you enter into with a volume down and power that searches for PH98IMG.zip files and fastboot is selected in HBOOT to enter commands lines. But if it's all the same then that's Koo.. Thx for clarification.