[HOW TO] Root without using ADB

muad

Reaction score
Is there a way to root the new OTA 2.2 update like the original method in this thread, without using ADB?

I liked the simplicity of it, and only want to root for wifi tether and some of the other apps on the market for root users.

Thanks for any help!

-Will

Daali

Reaction score
Is there a way to root the new OTA 2.2 update like the original method in this thread, without using ADB?

I liked the simplicity of it, and only want to root for wifi tether and some of the other apps on the market for root users.

Thanks for any help!

-Will

Will,

I am almost positive you can. Granted I did not do it this way, I used ADB only to push the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin file. I had copied su and busybox to /system/xbin last night, so I only had to exploit, then copy out of /system/xbin to /system/bin and change permissions. I could have easily done this from terminal on the X instead of adb shell

High level view of what you need to do is this(THIS IS NOT A WALKTHRU):
-dload the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin, su, busybox, and SuperUser.apk to a directory on your sdcard
-move the file to /data/local/tmp
-change permission's on the rage file [chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin]
-run the file[./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin]
-Let the process run, and at some point it should kick you out of the terminal. Wait a few seconds and try to connect back, see if you get the # prompt

If you have the #prompt you are temporary root, take advantage of it now! =)
-Copy your Superuser.apk to /system/app
-Copy your su to /system/bin
-copy your busybox to /system/bin
-change permissions on su and busybox to 4755

Thanks to whomever wrote the Droid 2.2 root ADB walkthru and rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin exploit!!

Lifeiskilingme79

Reaction score
ADB isn't working on my computer. Any way we can get a walk through with this type of process in the next few days? My phone has slowed down dramatically now that I can't use Autostarts and bloatware is running at all times.

muad

Reaction score

Thanks for any help!

-Will

Will,

I am almost positive you can. Granted I did not do it this way, I used ADB only to push the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin file. I had copied su and busybox to /system/xbin last night, so I only had to exploit, then copy out of /system/xbin to /system/bin and change permissions. I could have easily done this from terminal on the X instead of adb shell

High level view of what you need to do is this(THIS IS NOT A WALKTHRU):
-dload the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin, su, busybox, and SuperUser.apk to a directory on your sdcard
-move the file to /data/local/tmp
-change permission's on the rage file [chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin]
-run the file[./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin]
-Let the process run, and at some point it should kick you out of the terminal. Wait a few seconds and try to connect back, see if you get the # prompt

If you have the #prompt you are temporary root, take advantage of it now! =)
-Copy your Superuser.apk to /system/app
-Copy your su to /system/bin
-copy your busybox to /system/bin
-change permissions on su and busybox to 4755

Thanks to whomever wrote the Droid 2.2 root ADB walkthru and rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin exploit!!

Thanks Daali!

One last question before I try this, where are you downloading this "rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin" file from. I'm sure I can google it, but if you have a trusted source for download already I'd rather use that.

Thanks again!

-Will

EDIT: ok, one more question. When I look in my system tray on the X, I still have SuperUser Permissions installed. Will that cause any issues?

Daali

Reaction score
See this post:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/82584-droid-2-root-dx-ota-2-2-a.html

You can get the files from that post and see the walk-thru with adb. I just overwrote mine, but again I did the above link method. I think where you might run into an issue, is getting the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin file into a location that you can run it from on the terminal. When we do the above link method, we copy into data/local/tmp, change permissions, and run it from there to exploit for temporary root permissions. Once you get that, it is just a matter of getting the su/busybox into /system/bin. The Superuser.apk remains. The files in the Droid2.2(su/busybox/Superuser.apk) link above were binary identical to the ones we used for 2.1, only the exploit file is different.

aw3sk3r

Reaction score
Hey superusers!!! I keep getting permission denied whenever I try to copy files (using ADB push or within terminal) Example:

push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk "Permission Denied"
push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin "Permission Denied"

using Terminal I tried to copy the rage file into the /data/local/tmp directory

cp /sdcard/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin "Permission Denied"

I was rooted "using the terminal method" on stock the stock android OS which came with the Droid X + the minor update they did about a month ago and then I did the OTA to Froyo yesterday. My SU apk is still there but no root access... :icon_eek: Any help???

muad

Reaction score
See this post:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/82584-droid-2-root-dx-ota-2-2-a.html

You can get the files from that post and see the walk-thru with adb. I just overwrote mine, but again I did the above link method. I think where you might run into an issue, is getting the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin file into a location that you can run it from on the terminal. When we do the above link method, we copy into data/local/tmp, change permissions, and run it from there to exploit for temporary root permissions. Once you get that, it is just a matter of getting the su/busybox into /system/bin. The Superuser.apk remains. The files in the Droid2.2(su/busybox/Superuser.apk) link above were binary identical to the ones we used for 2.1, only the exploit file is different.

You're awesome, thanks soo much!!

Hey superusers!!! I keep getting permission denied whenever I try to copy files (using ADB push or within terminal) Example:

push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin "Permission Denied"

cp /sdcard/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin "Permission Denied"

I was rooted "using the terminal method" on stock the stock android OS which came with the Droid X + the minor update they did about a month ago and then I did the OTA to Froyo yesterday. My SU apk is still there but no root access... :icon_eek: Any help???

You and I are in the same exact boat, so follow the advice I got from Daali in his quote above (at your own risk of course). I'll be trying this as soon as I have time.

Thanks DF.net! This forums rocks!

wnrussell

Reaction score
Easy Root DROID X Running Official Android 2.2

Here is a scripted batch file for easy rooting.

ALL CREDIT TO DARKONION AT XDA FORUMS FOR THIS!
Instructions:

1. Extract and Update Android SDK package to your computer. (Our instructions here.)
2. Next, extract the files from the DORoot zip file to the tools folder of Android SDK.
(Take them out of the folder they came zipped in and place in tools.)
Ex: C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
3. Install Motorola Drivers: (32-bit or 64-bit)
4. Enable USB Debugging on your phone and plug it into your PC. (Settings>Applications>Development)
5. Double-click and run doroot.bat
6. Let it run.
7. It will let you know if it has finished completely.
8. Reboot your phone and you are rooted!

How to: Root DROID X Running Official Android 2.2 - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

aw3sk3r

Reaction score
See this post:

You're awesome, thanks soo much!!

You and I are in the same exact boat, so follow the advice I got from Daali in his quote above (at your own risk of course). I'll be trying this as soon as I have time.

Thanks DF.net! This forums rocks!

Alright so I got it to work... I had to run adb from the c:/Android-SDK(folder/tools
and I had to use windows media sync in the USB choices... and still i had to run it twice with a reboot before the second go of it... but It worked
dancedroid

cruckus

Reaction score
I used this when tranquility 2.2.3 came out and I lost root just wanted to say thanks for the post

Mavix

Reaction score
Just a note of THANKS!

Had to download Moto USB 4.7.1 drivers and it's working like a charm.

Thanks again.

MNull

Reaction score
Is there any updated ROOT how-to's??? All I'm seeing is the old versions and nun for the new versions. My Friend has a X running 2.3 and was needing the know how on rooting it for him.

Y can't everything be as easy as rooting the MOTO DROID1...dancedroid