[HOW TO] Root Your Droid X

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Okay this is the full method to root your Droid X using ADB. I know there are easy one click methods out there but people have problems with them so I figured I'd post this

EDIT: TO BE USED FOR 2.1 ONLY! for 2.2 rooting, see here
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...08-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html

CREDIT GOES TO RAINABBA AND BIRDMAN from alldroid.org

1. Download the attached archive on the bottom and expand it to a folder you can find (eg. c:\DroidXRoot_v2)
  2. Set up ADB (heres help using ADB)
  3. On the phone: Home, Menu Button, Settings, Applications, Development: Make sure the "USB debugging" option is enabled/checked.
  4. Status bar, USB connection: Make sure "PC Mode" is selected.
  5. Open a command prompt (Windows: Start, Run, "cmd", OK; Linux: Terminal)
  6. Run "adb devices". If you don't see your device listed under "List of devices attached", return to step 2 and follow the link to setup ADB (use that topic for support) and return here when "adb devices" lists your X.
  7. Run "CD c:\DroidXRoot" (or where ever you expanded the archive)
  8. Run "adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk"
  9. Run "adb push su /sdcard/su"
  10. Run "adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox"
  11. Run "adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals/exploid"
  12. Run "adb shell"
  13. Run "cd sqlite_stmt_journals"
  14. Run "chmod 755 exploid"
  15. On your phone, navigate to a screen where you can switch wifi/bluetooth on/off easily (settings, or a home screen with a widget)
  16. IMMEDIATELY after executing the next step, toggle wifi or bluetooth off and back on
  17. Run "./exploid" and follow directions on screen. Once this completes you'll be back at a shell prompt.
  18. Run "rootshell". You'll be prompted for a password.
  19. Type in password "secretlol" and press Enter then you are root! (You'll know because your prompt will now be a "#" instead of "$")
  20. Run "cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk"
  21. Run "cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su"
  22. Run "cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox"
  23. Run "chmod 4755 /system/bin/su"
  24. Run "chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox"
  25. Run "rm /system/bin/rootshell"
  26. Run "exit" to drop from root to a non-root user shell (on phone still)
  27. Run "exit" to drop back to your machine command prompt (instead of phone)

To Confirm root is established:

1. Run "adb shell"
  2. Run "su" (now you should see the # sign which indicates you are root)
  3. Watch your screen so you can allow Superuser root access.

You're done! feel free to kill the bloat apps and such.

NOTE: It might be a smart idea to do "rm /system/bin/rootshell" after you have su and superuser in place as ANY program will have access to your root if you leave it (cause everyone will know the password)

Birdmans video on Rooting the Droid X
YouTube - How to root Droid X using Birdman's method from http://AllDroid.org

Like always, I nor DroidForums take no responsibility for what you do to your phone. No one will be held responsible except you. Proceed at your own risk.

Last edited:
OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For those who have MACS

I have a Mac and I hope this helps, as I just rooted my Droid X Successfully.

ADB is part of the Android SDK.

Download the latest Android SDK Here: Android SDK | Android Developers

1. Extract the Kit to an Easy Location for you to access.

2. Once the kit is downloaded, you need to also download the DroidXRoot.Zip included in the "We Haz Rootz" thread and extract it to the "Tools" directory within the SDK kit that you downloaded and extracted above. (Some Zip extraction programs will create a folder called DroidXRoot. If so take the contents of folder and put them in the "Tools" folder.)

3. Alright once you have everything extracted and in place, plug your Droid X to your Mac Via USB.

4. Go into settings>Applications>Development on your Droid X and make sure USB debugging is Checked.

5. Once you verify that it's checked Drag down the Notification Bar on your Droid X tap USB Connection and make sure its Set to "Charge Only".

6(short). Now open up terminal on your Mac and CD to the "Tools" Directory that you extracted the DroidXRoot.Zip too.

6(extended).On the Finder Menu Bar up top, Click Go, then Click Utilities, and scroll down and open up "Terminal"

When Terminal Opens up type "ls" to list the folders available for you to select.
"Cd" is the command used to select a folder. For Example if you saved the AndroidSDK folder in your Downloads folder, then you would type "Cd Downloads", then "Cd AndroidSDK", then "Cd tools" then you can follow the directions in the original Root post using the Adb commands he listed in his instructions. To make things easier I would rename "android-sdk_r06-mac_86" folder that you get when you extract the zip file to simply "Android". That way in Terminal you can type "cd android" to make things shorter.

7. Once you CD there, just follow the directions as is, in the Original "We haz Rootz" thread and you should be fine. It's a pretty simple process. Hope this helps.

* When the instructions say to mount the SD card to your PC or Mac, simply drag down the notification bar on your Droid X tap USB connection and Select "USB Mass Storage" then your SD card will appear in Finder (Mac) usually as "No Name". From there just copy the "Su" and "Superuser.apk" files from your "Tools" folder and paste them onto the SD Card displayed in finder. Then to Unmount, simply drag down the notification bar again on your Droid X, tap USB Connection, and select "Charge Only"*

Last edited:
OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[HOW TO] DEODEX your DX

This guide will get you a deodexed phone

--helps with speed and loading deodexed themes :)

NOTE:
YOU MUST be ROOTED!

FILES
xUltimate (version 2.2)

GUIDE:

1. Unzip xUltimate (file attached above) v2.2, and launch "Main.exe"
  2. If everything goes well xUlt should recognize the phone and make a connection. You now should see a list of options.
  3. Run option 1. After option 1 is done, run option 2.
  4. Now these will take a while. Run option 3.
  5. IMPORTANT: After you have run option 3, you MUST navigate to the xUltimate folder and find "origi_frame" folder, and delete "guava.odex". It's a bad file, and interferes with deodexing process.
  6. Now run option 4, and wait.
  7. Exit xUltimate, and put the phone in USB mass storage.
  8. Go back into the xUltimate folder and copy "done_frame", and "done_app", and move them to the root of the sdcard.
  9. Open a command prompt, and do the following
CODE: enter each line manually and then press enter. please double check the command before pressing enter:

Code:
adb shell
su
stop 
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system 
cp /sdcard/done_app/* /system/app/ 
cp /sdcard/done_frame/* /system/framework/ 
rm /system/app/*.odex 
rm /system/framework/*.odex 
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system 
reboot
--credit to Webst3r, Rainabba, Mike919, Xeudoxus for this how-to

Last edited:

viper3773

Reaction score
thanks, bookmarked :)

would you recomend this way or the 1 click gui way?

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To make things easier I would rename "android-sdk_r06-mac_86" folder that you get when you extract the zip file to simply "Android". That way in Terminal you can type "cd android" to make things shorter.

or to make things really easy follow the SDK instructions and add the folder to your path. Then no CD needed ;)
Your-MacBook-Pro:~ youruser$ cat .bash_profile
export PATH=$PATH:/Users/youruser/android-sdk-mac_86/tools

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You're done! feel free to kill the bloat apps and such.

Please forgive my asking (Just got my X yesterday), but if I kill all the bloat such as blockbuster, amazon mp3, etc, will this affect my ability to do the OTA? Just want to know before I root.

kill as in remove, then yes, you wont get the OTA update

debacle

Reaction score
Ok, so use the rename technique, then I will have to rename them back upon notification of the OTA, correct?