[HOW TO] Install the leaked Android 4.0.4 ICS build on the Droid 4 (XT894)

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
quick noob question, if ive only done root and nothing else do i still need to do step one? I dont really want to download a gig file ~_~

(have little to no desire to go back to 2.3, and went through 25 pages and diddnt see an answer, sorry)

If all you've done is root you should only need to install the update from the stock recovery (have the update on your external sdcard).

kitex2

Reaction score
If all you've done is root you should only need to install the update from the stock recovery (have the update on your external sdcard).

thank you kindly, i thought so but always safe than sorry

{Edit} So it sorta worked...i forgot i had taken off slacker and had to do step one anyway, rerooted and then updated. Then i tried to use ota rootkeeper and that diddnt work i guess...

I then tried to use the root tools out there and it looked like it "worked" but Super user gets denied permissions when i look at ota rootkeeper it says its rooted but i cant change permissions... any ideas anyone?

Last edited:

supershot666

Reaction score
Will going from ICS .215 to .217 affect the non-safe side of my phone that I have CM9 running on? Will I need to re-flash that?

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Yes, you'll have to reflash it. 217 has a pre-215 radio which is supposedly more stable then the 215 radio. Also flashing 217 will bring you back to the update path since 217 is now the official ICS for the D4.

hashbaz83

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, but if i update to the leaked rom and leave it stock will it update in the future though the phone, or will i have to manually flash new versions?

kwyrt

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, but if i update to the leaked rom and leave it stock will it update in the future though the phone, or will i have to manually flash new versions?

It shouldn't matter how you get to .217 one you are there, since it is the current stock ROM, if you leave it stock you should get OTA updates pushed to your phone without any issues.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Just as long you're on 217 or the OTA then you are on the upgrade path. If you want to be sure then RSDLite ICS, but you have to be on GB 219 or the 217 ICS leak.

hashbaz83

Reaction score
Thanks kwyrt and orangechoochoo, i ended up using the recently posted fastboot file for .217 to upgrade from stock GB 219 and it's working great.

DSM4rill

Reaction score
flashed and everything is working...but im stuck in RSD with a "maually power up" and "in process" message. can i just snatch this cord out and keep it moving or did i miss something?

calvertdw

Reaction score
What are you trying to flash? What state was your phone in previously? More details.

DSM4rill

Reaction score
i went from GB 219 to ICSv217....its strange,yo...im actually using my phone now, everything is gravy. im just stuck at my desk 'cause i wont unplug this untill i see "PASS" in the result box...

and good lookin out to CALVERTDW on the rapid response tip.

calvertdw

Reaction score
If you are currently running the OS, you can disconnect the cable.

Once you are to the ROM loading screen (the red eye for MotoBLUR) you are safe from RSD Lite. It only does stuff in fastboot and recovery, also can reboot your device into different states.

Last edited:

DSM4rill

Reaction score
If you are currently running the OS, you can disconnect the cable.

Once you are to the ROM loading screen (the red eye for MotoBLUR) you are safe from RSD Lite. It only does stuff in fastboot and recovery, also can reboot your device into different states.

ok solid.
As i read your post i was already pulling the USB cord out like "ill just do it again later if anything goes sour..."

ive flashed before but never been left hanging at 'In Process'... that had me 'noid.

thanks for ya help!