[ICS Leak/CRC] Droid 4 Build 6.16.215

siggma

Reaction score
There is a post available on XDA with links to the latest Droid 4 Leak. You can either follow that thread or use the tool I've written here to update to the latest leaked version.

[HOW TO] Install the leaked Android 4.0.4 ICS build on the Droid 4 (XT894) - xda-developers

I have created and tested an update utility that will pre-flash GB 219 files to your phone plus the 215 leaked kernel enabling you to update to this latest version using the recovery option on the phone. The tool is available below for windows only. However, you can easily read through the batch file and copy/paste the commands to a console in Linux provided you have the phone tools installed.

This assumes you have updated your phone before and know how to extract and copy the "blur...." file from the leak archive to your phone. It also assumes you know what CMD is and at least how to navigate the directory structure using a drive letter and/or the cd command.

• You'll need a copy of the latest DROID4 leak 6.16.215 available here:
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5YH1w-_H3yCRWNEMmJCeU9GX0U
    Unpack and copy the blur...zip file to your phone sdcard.
  • You'll need a copy of the 6.16.215 kernel ONLY at one of the links below:
    http://db.tt/TyJDblmf
    http://droid.trbailey.net/dropbox/215 kernel/boot-6-16-215.img
    This will be flashed to your phone, no need to copy it to the sdcard.
  • You'll need a copy of the Gingerbread 219 OTA update available at one of the links below if you don't already have one:
    FileFactory Premium
    http://sbf.droid-developers.org/cdma_maserati/VRZ_XT894_6.5.1-167_DR4-1_M1-219_1FF_01.xml.zip
    http://droid.trbailey.net/dropbox/VRZ_XT894_6.5.1-167_DR4-1_M1-219_1FF_01.xml.zip
  • You'll need a copy of the UPDATELEAK tool here:
    http://droid.trbailey.net/dropbox/UPDATELEAK.zip
  • Unpack the tool and read through the README.txt file.
  • Copy necessary files from GB 219 to the UPDATELEAK directory.
  • Copy the boot image for .215 to the UPDATELEAK directory unless you saved it there.
  • Double check you copied the leak update to your sdcard
  • Connect phone via USB, enable USB debugging, set USB mode to "camera".
  • Run "menu.bat" and enter "1", then read the prolific warnings and answer "y" to continue.

After flashing BEFORE REBOOTING with phone still in ap-fastboot mode...
  • Run CMD (windows command prompt) and enter final command to write boot image. (tool supplies the command or see below)
    NOTE you must navigate to the UPDATELEAK directory in cmd for the flash tool to find the boot image and work properly.
    This command writes the target boot image to the phone.
  • Reboot phone and wait while it updates (you will see animated android and progress bar). Wait some more...
  • Turn off phone (down vol and power buttons) then re-start in bootloader mode (both volumes plus power)
  • Select Recovery, Install from SDcard then select the 215 update file on phone and let it install/update.
    NOTE: If you see the red broken android animation and/or don't see the vertical menu with update from sd on it you may need to hit both volume keys to get it.
This tool requires you to enter and run a single command using CMD.
The final command is: fastboot flash boot boot-6-16-215.img (assuming you are installing ICS 215 leak)
After it finished and you observe the word "writing" either manually reboot or enter: fastboot reboot via CMD.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

kenji91

Reaction score
There is a post available on XDA with links to the latest Droid 4 Leak. You can either follow that thread or use the tool I've written here to update to the latest leaked version.

[HOW TO] Install the leaked Android 4.0.4 ICS build on the Droid 4 (XT894) - xda-developers

I have created and tested an update utility that will pre-flash GB 219 files to your phone plus the 215 leaked kernel enabling you to update to this latest version using the recovery option on the phone. The tool is available below for windows only. However, you can easily read through the batch file and copy/paste the commands to a console in Linux provided you have the phone tools installed.

This tool requires you to enter and run a single command using CMD.
The final command is: fastboot flash boot boot-6-16-215.img (assuming you are installing ICS 215 leak)
After it finished and you observe the word "writing" either manually reboot or enter: fastboot reboot via CMD.

Enjoy.

I didn't use this method and I'm on the ICS215 leak but well done, sir. This is very comprehensive and easy to follow. I'm assuming it works, too. :)

Technix2002

Reaction score
Awesome work on this, I went from 206 to 215! There were definitely a few heart stopping moments (please strictly adhere to the instructions), pretty exciting and somewhat scary !dancedroid

Reaction score
Using Flash and Reinstalling 215

I'm on ICS leak 215. My flash player isn't working, it freezes the browser (browser, chrome, opera, and dolphin HD).

I'm thinking about reinstalling 215, is that possible without messing anything up?

If that doesn't work, does anyone know a workaround? Is anyone else having problems?

Thanks.

rennert1

Reaction score
I'm on ICS leak 215. My flash player isn't working, it freezes the browser (browser, chrome, opera, and dolphin HD).

I'm thinking about reinstalling 215, is that possible without messing anything up?

If that doesn't work, does anyone know a workaround? Is anyone else having problems?

Thanks.

Flash works on my ics leak 215 with dolphin and opera.

...Tapatalk

viperwsu

Reaction score
I'm a little confused, in the README file it states that you need to download the kernel image (boot.img) for the leak version that you're going TO, and references SGMD1's post. But his page only has the leaked OTA zips, and I can't find a boot.img inside it, just boot.img.p. I'm probably just a moron this morning, but is that the same file, or is it a patch that brings the GB219 kernel up to date? If it's a different file, where is the boot.img for 215?

Technix2002

Reaction score
I'm a little confused, in the README file it states that you need to download the kernel image (boot.img) for the leak version that you're going TO, and references SGMD1's post. But his page only has the leaked OTA zips, and I can't find a boot.img inside it, just boot.img.p. I'm probably just a moron this morning, but is that the same file, or is it a patch that brings the GB219 kernel up to date? If it's a different file, where is the boot.img for 215?

Found this from one of the XDA threads: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwl0e6jx767aksb/boot-6-16-215.img

viperwsu

Reaction score
E:signature verification failed when trying to apply the 215.zip update. Thoughts?

viperwsu

Reaction score
you opened the zip of the zip

I'm having a mushy-brain day. Normally I can get this without help, today...dunno. Expired caffeine or something...

So, I downloaded D4.6.16.215.zip and put it on my SD Card. Looking inside it (now) I see Blur_Version.6.13.219.XT894.Verizon.en.US.zip. Did I need to pull out the Blur.zip, or leave everything in the D4.zip?

Technix2002

Reaction score
I'm having a mushy-brain day. Normally I can get this without help, today...dunno. Expired caffeine or something...

So, I downloaded D4.6.16.215.zip and put it on my SD Card. Looking inside it (now) I see Blur_Version.6.13.219.XT894.Verizon.en.US.zip. Did I need to pull out the Blur.zip, or leave everything in the D4.zip?

Pull out both Blur_Version.6.13.219.XT894.Verizon.en.US.zip and the CRC file, put those on the root of your SD card. You should be good from there!

viperwsu

Reaction score
Wow. I've done that before, just didn't compute this time. No more tinkering with my phone when I'm not awake.
Thanks for the help.

G3T_UR_0WN_W1F1

Reaction score
"This tool requires you to enter and run a single command using CMD.
After it finished and you observe the word "writing" either manually reboot or enter: fastboot reboot via CMD."

where can i find this thing called cmd? what IS it??? im a little bit of a noob bt @ the same time no, cuz ive already flashed my fone before... also, where can i find the CMD thing? is it already included?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
where can i find this thing called cmd? what IS it??? im a little bit of a noob bt @ the same time no, cuz ive already flashed my fone before... also, where can i find the CMD thing? is it already included?

CMD is the windows DOS prompt. Start, Run...type cmd and hit enter....or Windows logo, in search bar type cmd and hit enter.

ilwrath

Reaction score
Awesome how-to on this. I've flashed a lot of other devices, but I'm an Android noob, so mega-thanks.

The one thing I'd suggest adding is on the last step, once you pick 'Recovery', you'll be presented with a red dead Android screen. Hit both volume keys to bring up the menu with the option to recover from sdcard. Having not flashed Android much, I was rather alarmed to get a red dead Android when I was expecting to see an option to install from SDcard. Cue heart-skipping moment until I realized what was up.