ilwrath

Reaction score
Quick update:
All's not well;
When flashing back the old files I got an error

sending 'devtree' (512 KB)... OKAY [ 0.053s]
writing 'devtree'... INFOPreflash validation failure
FAILED (remote: )

I think devtree is supposed to fail. It did on mine, with no apparent ill-consequences. (You are basically flashing GB over ICS, and I think devtree failing is why that'll cause a brick.) You'll have a good devtree flash once the 215 update.zip processes at the end.

When I reboot the device it just dumps me back into fastboot mode.

You need to power down the device after done flashing the ICS 215 kernel, or do the fastboot reboot command. My phone wasn't real keen on fully rebooting, either. Vol-Dn + Power didn't seem to take well, and the phone would instantly pop back to fastboot. It took a few tries before actually registered right. I considered pulling the battery at this step to force it to power down, but it caught and worked before I got to it.

Last edited:

Giroux28

Reaction score
ur gonna have lots and lots of fails when going back to gb 219, u cant RLY go back to gb .219, ur just tricking the phone into thinking ur back to gb 219 because that is the only system these ota updates can update you from, if it doesnt think u are on gb 219 the whole thing will fail EVERY time

kenji91

Reaction score
Giroux28 said:
ur gonna have lots and lots of fails when going back to gb 219, u cant RLY go back to gb .219, ur just tricking the phone into thinking ur back to gb 219 because that is the only system these ota updates can update you from, if it doesnt think u are on gb 219 the whole thing will fail EVERY time

There should be a total of 5 fails - all the same error message - when you flash back to .219 to go from leak to leak.

Any more and you're doing something wrong.

Giroux28

Reaction score
u prob know better than me but it def seemed like it was more than that!!!

cnfordream

Reaction score
[*]Run "menu.bat" and enter "1", then read the prolific warnings and answer "y" to continue.

After flashing...

It shows
"writing 'mbmloader'... INFORCommcoud restristed
writing 'devtree' ... INFOPreflash validation failure"

and then when I flash the ICS 4.04 use the recovery
it show 'E:error ....
(Status 7)'

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
[*]Run "menu.bat" and enter "1", then read the prolific warnings and answer "y" to continue.

After flashing...

It shows

(Status 7)'

Hey there, I noticed you were still on and the OP is not. You should get INFO errors if you flash GB files over an ICS install. I don't recall the other error though. Be sure you flashed the boot.img for 215 or whatever ICS version you want to be on. Then flash the update zip from stock recovery.

Are you stuck in the bootloader? If so your phone will not charge, so you need to get it worked out before it dies.

olegfusion

Reaction score
Does anybody have good cdrom for moto-fastboot flashing over ics leak?

OP
siggma

siggma

Reaction score
I think devtree is supposed to fail. It did on mine, with no apparent ill-consequences. (You are basically flashing GB over ICS, and I think devtree failing is why that'll cause a brick.) You'll have a good devtree flash once the 215 update.zip processes at the end.

I believe devtree contains an empty copy of all necessary directories. When it's "flashed" or unpacked it creates a new empty file system directory structure ready for the update. It fails because it has a different security signature than the current version installed. Security certificates are stored in the CDT (Certificate Data Table) so it's normal for it to fail. It can probably be removed from the procedure. In fact the radio.img, webtop and a few others can probably be removed as well but I don't have time to test it so I left them in...

OP
siggma

siggma

Reaction score

After flashing...

It shows

(Status 7)'

You missed a stop somewhere. Double check you have all the files in the same directory as the tool and that it successfully flashed all the files. It's normal to see an error on devtree, ignore it.
Also make sure you fastboot flash the boot image with your phone on AP-FASTBOOT mode or you'll get the error 7.

Last edited:

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I believe devtree contains an empty copy of all necessary directories. When it's "flashed" or unpacked it creates a new empty file system directory structure ready for the update. It fails because it has a different security signature than the current version installed. Security certificates are stored in the CDT (Certificate Data Table) so it's normal for it to fail. It can probably be removed from the procedure. In fact the radio.img, webtop and a few others can probably be removed as well but I don't have time to test it so I left them in...

I picked up a tip from Rick#2 for the ICS jumping and have tested. You only need flash the GB system and preinstall, then the ICS boot and finally the ICS update zip. I tested this out a few days ago. Besides being shorter another advantage of this is that it doesn't wipe your cache. I took my 215 down to 213 by this method and flashing the 213 from the cache, then went back to 215 in just about an hour.

kenji91

Reaction score
was simply saying it SEEMED like it was more than that. I have the same exact set up you have and have everything working perfectly..

It sure did seem like ten errors, didn't it? I was surprised when I did the screenshot as well.

Side note - Youtube was crashing all the time on me, so I uninstalled it. I re-installed it from the Play Store and it works perfectly now.