[HACKS] [HOW-TO] Install Safestrap and Create a Backup

lotzakritters

Reaction score
so when i go into to backup and restore, then go into backup and it says internal sd card or external sd card. That just means where it saves the backup correct? And also i just did a backup and i get a (no/sdcard.android_secure found.Skipping backup of applications on external storage.)

Should i be getting that error?

Correct, your save spot. And yes that error in normal. It doesn't affect anything. Hope that clears things up your you

Sent from my DROID3

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
so when i go into to backup and restore, then go into backup and it says internal sd card or external sd card. That just means where it saves the backup correct? And also i just did a backup and i get a (no/sdcard.android_secure found.Skipping backup of applications on external storage.)

Should i be getting that error?

Its just an error because you have not saved any apps2sd which is fine. That's what that folder is for.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
i ran safestrap backup and accidentally chose backup to internal. I re-ran and backed up to sd-ext. OK to manually delete the old backup on internal and will I need to do anything different than normal when attempting to flash stock after flashing a new rom?

Last edited:

lotzakritters

Reaction score
i ran safestrap backup and accidentally chose backup to internal. I re-ran and backed up to sd-ext. OK to manually delete the old backup on internal and will I need to do anything different than normal when attempting to flash stock after flashing a new rom?

I really doesn't matter if you safe internal or external. When you flash a new rom, your backups don't get touched. Yes you can delete it. As long as you are in safe mode, you can flash your heart away, without fear.

Sent from my DROID3

HOLDINtheACES

Reaction score
Fail to Install

I am having troubles getting the recovery to install. I have a successfully rooted Droid 3. I have never put any other backup on it.

When i first tried to get Safestrap working, the app installed perfectly fine, and I ran the Install Recovery. That appeared to work until I noticed that it said "Not Installed" at the top still. I didn't get any errors running the install. So i tried it again, same thing. I reflashed my phone, re-rooted it, reinstalled Safestrap (the app) and tried again. Same thing. It doesn't give me any errors, just doesn't install the recovery. Any ideas?

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Check the SU app. See if safestrap is listed.

Also, redownload the app if you haven't already.

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rebooted? Battery pull?

Its tough to say.

I've definitely gotten this issue and its something like clearing data or cache in the safestrap app or rebooting or closing it and trying again.

You are on system x.x.890 right?

HOLDINtheACES

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what my system is. I'm perplexed. I tried rebooting a few times. Its definitely getting superuser permission. I tried clearing the data and cache. Just pulled the battery and gonna wait a bit and try again. Do you think another program I have installed may be somehow messing with it or who knows. This is all just so frustrating. I'm usually good at this stuff.

It seems to be thinking its installing the recovery while its happening, but then it never gets installed.

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ugh, I wish I could help you more. I'm off to bed however, I'll see if I can't send someone in to help you further!

HOLDINtheACES

Reaction score
I'm glad someone else doesn't know whats going on. Feel a little better about being completely confused.

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm glad someone else doesn't know whats going on. Feel a little better about being completely confused.

Hey, gonna jump in here for Guidot. Which version of Safestrap did you download .08?

HOLDINtheACES

Reaction score
Yes, 1.08. I found a thread on xda of someone describing the same problem but no one offered fixes there either. I spent a little time looking for one of the older versions, but, alas, google and the internet can be unforgiving some times.

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yes, 1.08. I found a thread on xda of someone describing the same problem but no one offered fixes there either. I spent a little time looking for one of the older versions, but, alas, google and the internet can be unforgiving some times.

Kinda ironic. I'm still running .06 while Im testing for some devs, cause that's where my backups are. I just uploaded .06 here: Droid3Safestrap-1.0 - Minus.com

Uninstall .08, install this one (.06) and let me know what happens.

BTW, stay away from .07 it had a bug ;-)

HOLDINtheACES

Reaction score
I'm going to try rebooting, but it looks like the exact same thing happened using 1.06. So, obviously, its something with my phone, but I figured reflashing to factory would get rid of any problems from rooting incorrectly, or any other unknowns....