[HACKS] [HOW-TO] Install Safestrap and Create a Backup

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Gonna try to see if I can get Hashcode to stop by. I'm kinda stumped, but I'll keep thinking/looking.

Hashcode

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.hash-of-codes.blogspot.com
I'm glad someone else doesn't know whats going on. Feel a little better about being completely confused.

Sorry I'm late to the party!

Couple of the more obscur issues to check:
- Make sure you have a full sized busybox on the system. I try and include on in the Safestrap package, but if you already have one installed and it doesn't have the rar/zip applets, there can be issues. <<- this sounds like your issue.
- Root Keepers can cause some issues. Not really anything specific unfortunately on this one.
- Guidot already covered the su / Superuser oddity. But normally this shows up as the Safestrap Installer FCing out, and it doesn't sound like that's happening.
- There *might* be an install.txt file in the /data/com.hashcode.droid3safestrap folder or under one of it's subfolders. If you get that can you email it to me: [email protected]

Just some notes off the top of my head.

HOLDINtheACES

Reaction score
Well tickle my whiskers, I did a ittle snooping around my phone, found no busybox, put it on, and bang, the install worked. Thanks everyone.

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well tickle my whiskers, I did a ittle snooping around my phone, found no busybox, put it on, and bang, the install worked. Thanks everyone.

Glad you got it working!

And thanks for the help Hashcode!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Hashcode

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website

Awesome! Sorry for the frustration, I need to fix the installer to show the error messages like that if it comes back with a command failure, so this doesn't happen to future users. :/

HOLDINtheACES

Reaction score
Its perfectly fine. I've done my share of programing and I understand. Glad you helped. I now have your ICS/CM9 and here and I'm LOVING it! Can't wait for a fully functional one.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Please dont kill me, i havent read through this whole thread. I had a D1, rooted, then got the D3 on release day. I just took the plunge and finished rooting it and downloaded TB and RM. Whats the purpose of using Safestrap? I always created a backup using CW.
Is Safestrap better?

EDIT..Nevermind, i found the thread explaining everything. Thanks

Last edited:

richardawood

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your help (to everyone)... I just bought a D3 and I am trying to find Safestrap software to download, but it looks like all links on the net are disabled or erased. Thankfully vbhokiefan linked to a droid3safestrap-1.0.apk and I will be trying that one shortly. Can anyone lead me towards the link to the newest safestrap please?

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your help (to everyone)... I just bought a D3 and I am trying to find Safestrap software to download, but it looks like all links on the net are disabled or erased. Thankfully vbhokiefan linked to a droid3safestrap-1.0.apk and I will be trying that one shortly. Can anyone lead me towards the link to the newest safestrap please?

The link is in the downloads section of the link in the OP.

Just went there on my phone.

Sent from my XT862 + ICS

richardawood

Reaction score
thanks very much... I have an issue and I am not sure if I can post here... I have succesfully installed cyanogenmod 7 on my droid 3. my phone is flashed to the nTelos network and my SMS and MMS are working however I cannot access the internet from any app. I went to Settings->Wireless & Networks->Mobile Networks and there is no option to change or view APN settings. I went back to the stock partition and got an app to download the APN settings. I then downloaded the APN software on the new partition and attempted to port it over, but I did not have any luck. when i open the app, it says "No APN Activated"... I have already paid over $100 and I can't pay anymore. Please Help!!!

Last edited:

Hashcode

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
thanks very much... I have an issue and I am not sure if I can post here... I have succesfully installed cyanogenmod 7 on my droid 3. my phone is flashed to the nTelos network and my SMS and MMS are working however I cannot access the internet from any app. I went to Settings->Wireless & Networks->Mobile Networks and there is no option to change or view APN settings. I went back to the stock partition and got an app to download the APN settings. I then downloaded the APN software on the new partition and attempted to port it over, but I did not have any luck. when i open the app, it says "No APN Activated"... I have already paid over $100 and I can't pay anymore. Please Help!!!

Did you try the *#*#info#*#* menu and swap to GSM (auto)?

Also I believe you'll need to edit the build.prop for CM7 to hardcode the carrier APN info.

richardawood

Reaction score
Thanks for your response!... I am kinda new to alot of this, yet I've been rooting and flashing for a couple years. I am researching bothof your suggestions. FYI, I am on CDMA network. When I went to the store to flash my phone, the guy there said I will not find any information regarding my carrier because all of the phone techs for the carrier make sure no info gets posted anywhere... isn't that crap? Well, I have found it mainly true so far... no information :-s