[HACKS] [HOW-TO] Install Safestrap and Create a Backup

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its my whole 3rd guide on this site, so bare with me.

Recently I got a Droid 3. It's a great phone, and for a few weeks it was stock. Being that I came from an OG Droid, without root and recovery I felt lost! So off I went.

Root has been covered ad nauseum, and you can use the thread here for info!

First you want to go to hashcode's site, and download SafeStrap 1.0 (version is 1.08 on install as of 12.16.11 for D3).

1. Make sure "allow 3rd party apps" is checked so you can sideload SafeStrap
2. Find the apk in your download folder.
3. Install the SafeStrap app.
4. Open the app from your app drawer.
5. Allow root access.
6. Select 'Install Recovery.' This should take a moment; when it completes, 'Recovery State' should show 'Installed.'

Now, you are ready to reboot into recovery.

1. Power the phone off and power it on.
2. You will come to a splash screen that states, 'press menu for recovery access.' You have 10 seconds, otherwise the phone boots normally.
3. Once you press the menu softkey, it will boot into ClockworkMod Recovery
4. From the main CWR menu, select backup and restore from the menu using volume up and down and power button to select.
5. Select backup.

You now have created a backup in CWR of your stock+root!

REMINDER:
The backups you create in Safestrap are not compatible with D3Bootstrap.

Hints and tips:
If you are having trouble getting Safestrap to install, or trouble installing Recovery, open Superuser app and click update binary.
If you are having trouble getting Recovery installed, you may need to update BusyBox. You can do that with this app from the market.

Thanks to:
fishacura - For creating the Droid3CWBootstrap guide here!
hashcode
koush

Last edited:

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Any chance of a layman's guide to flashing using the safe/non safe modes and/or the 1st and 2nd systems to flash a ROM?

ndoren

Reaction score
Any chance of a layman's guide to flashing using the safe/non safe modes and/or the 1st and 2nd systems to flash a ROM?

+1 for hokeifan's request. Hashcode's blog describing safestrap is a bit difficult to follow, and it evolves and changes almost daily. Safe or non-safe? What's saved in which mode, when and where? The latest discussion debates putting backups on SD card partitions. Can anyone make a sensible HOWTO for this bootstrap?

srgolub

Reaction score

Yes, this would be very helpful. I too find the instructions on Hash's site, if you could even call them that, a bit confusing.

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Whoa! Ok ok, I'm moving the date of tonight forward to lunchtime! Ha.

Thanks for your requests and I will doing this most likely tonight for you folks. Thanks for the interest, I hope some of this has been helpful.

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.

fishacura

Reaction score
Guidot you rock! Nice guides with easy to understand instructions! Kudos for taking the time!!! :hail:

fishacura

Reaction score
REMINDER:
The backups you created in D3CWBootstrap are NOT compatible with SafeStrap backups and vise versa.

According to Hash, "Sorry for the confusion: You can actually move the backups from /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup to /sdcard/safestrap/backup, and they should work just fine for when you have Safe System enabled."

Not sure if this is true as I have not tried it.

Also, anyone know where backups on bootstrap would be stored? In hash's email he says /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup but I don't have that in my /clockworkmod folder...I show:

.salted hash
.settings
.setting2
download

These are the only things in my clockworkmod folder...where would my backup be?

nu2droid

Reaction score
Check to see if you have ext-sdcard/clockwork...
That's where I keep mine.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Check to see if you have ext-sdcard/clockwork...
That's where I keep mine.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Both my clockwork and safestrap are on my sd-ext.

I'm starting my ROM flash guide using safestrap now.

fishacura

Reaction score
Yup that's it. Not sure of the difference between /sdcard and /sdcard-ext but that's where it was. ThankS!

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yup that's it. Not sure of the difference between /sdcard and /sdcard-ext but that's where it was. ThankS!

Sdcard is the sdcard internal and sdcard-ext is the physical removable one.

fishacura

Reaction score
Funny. I think of SD card, by definition, as a physical card therefore removable. Shows how much I know :)

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sdcard is the sdcard internal and sdcard-ext is the physical removable one.

I don't have a d3 but the bionic is similar. Isn't 8 gb of the SD card devoted to internal and another 8 gb devoted to external for a total of 16 gb?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

fishacura

Reaction score
So what does internal vs. external mean then? Isn't an add-on SD card by definition "external". Isn't internal storage something the phone comes with? How can a external card be part internal? Very confused...

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
So what does internal vs. external mean then? Isn't an add-on SD card by definition "external". Isn't internal storage something the phone comes with? How can a external card be part internal? Very confused...

Disregard my post, did some research and I might be wrong. Not sure yet though, it's actually confusing to me too, lol. I never had this problem on the d1. I think I do have a 16 gig ext SD card (removable) + an additional 8 gigs for apps on internal non-removable storage. The only reason I've come across for this is so that the device is ice cream sandwich ready.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk