[HACKS] Safestrap Guide for Bionic

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Install Safestrap

First you want to go to hashcode's site, and download SafeStrap 1.0 (version is 1.07 on install as of 12.14.11 for Bionic).

1. Make sure "allow 3rd party apps" is checked so you can sideload SafeStrap
2. Find the apk in your download folder.
3. Install the SafeStrap app.
4. Open the app from your app drawer.
5. Allow root access.
6. Select 'Install Recovery.' This should take a moment; when it completes, 'Recovery State' should show 'Installed.'

Now, you are ready to reboot into recovery.

1. Power the phone off and power it on.
2. You will come to a splash screen that states, 'press menu for recovery access.' You have 10 seconds, otherwise the phone boots normally.
3. Once you press the menu softkey, it will boot into ClockworkMod Recovery
4. From the main CWR menu, select backup and restore from the menu using volume up and down and power button to select.
5. Select backup.

You now have created a backup in CWR of your stock+root!

Switch to safe mode and Flash a ROM

The rundown: Essentially, this 'strap separates your userdata (/data and /system) in non-safe mode (stock if you will), from the ROM you will flash in safe mode.

Steps to make a backup in non-safe mode and safe mode are the same, but they CAN NOT be restored interchangeably.

1. Reboot the phone (manually or via an app; ATM reboot to recovery is NOT supported.)
2. At splash screen press menu key. You are now in CWR.
3. Select backup and restore.
4. Select backup.
5. Should take about 1-3 minutes here. This backup is contained on your SDcard-ext (the physical card, unless you don't have one; I need verification that it works without an SD.
6. Done.

You'll notice in a file explorer, that the backups are separated in /sdcard-ext/safestrap/backup/non-safe-xxx-xxx and (once you make one) /sdcard-ext/safestrap/backup/safe-xxx-xxx as they cannot be flashed interchangeably.

To flash a ROM:
1. Make sure the ROM .zip file is on your SDcard
2. Reboot and access recovery as above.
3. Select Safe System
4. Turn on Safe System (this should take a few minutes as it is copying the userdata to an unused partition)
5. Power off and reboot into recovery (have not verified this is acutally necessary)
6. wipe data (in main menu)
7. wipe cache (in main menu)
8. Select mounts and storage
9. Format /system
10. Back to main menu
11. Select Advanced
12. Wipe Dalvik Cache
13. Main Menu
14. Install zip (your ROM) from SDcard
15. Reboot (should take a good while to boot, up to 5 minutes)

To restore your stock system:
1. Reboot into recovery.
2. select Safe System
3. Turn off Safe System
4. Reboot

At this time, the splash screen should show "Safe system: Disabled"

REMINDER:
The backups you create in Safestrap are not compatible with any other recovery.

Hints and tips:
If you are having trouble getting Safestrap to install, or trouble installing Recovery, open Superuser app and click update binary.
If you are having trouble getting Recovery installed, you may need to update BusyBox. You can do that with this app from the market.

Thanks to:
fishacura - For getting this started with the original guide for Bootstrapper!
hashcode
koush
ndoren
13th angel
clumsyninja21

josh.zechman

Reaction score
Thank you guidot for writing this up for the Bionic. I saw the one you had for the D3 and used that one. I would not have rooted without reading your post. You are very helpful to this community, you have been helping me since my D1 days.

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You are welcome!

Thank you for the compliment and I'm glad I could help you out!

Wish I had written this sooner to be honest. Some people didn't believe the D3 guide was the same ;)

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Your clear and concise safestrap procedures are always what I recommend to my DIY friends that want to learn how to flash ROM's safely!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Nedaroth

Reaction score
I install safestrap as directed on my bionic but when i reboot i press menu and it just reboots

Tcizzle

Reaction score
Thanks for the guide. Worked like a charm. I haven't backed up just yet. I just want to see the straight boot up first. I'll be honest, my heart sunk a little when it took a little bit to start the regular boot up, but all is good. Again thanks and keep up the awesome work.

mrgreennnn

Reaction score
Okay I need a little help. I uninstalled bootstrap and got safestrap (1.07), wiped data/cache, format/ system and then tried to install a ROM (Eclipse 2.2 Bionic)..I'm on .902 and am not sure where I went wrong. The error message is E:Can't open /emmc/Download/Bionic-Eclipse-v2.2.zip (bad) Installation aborted.

Any help is appreciated

/firsttimeprobz

Lownignitus

Reaction score
Okay I need a little help. I uninstalled bootstrap and got safestrap (1.07), wiped data/cache, format/ system and then tried to install a ROM (Eclipse 2.2 Bionic)..I'm on .902 and am not sure where I went wrong. The error message is E:Can't open /emmc/Download/Bionic-Eclipse-v2.2.zip (bad) Installation aborted.

Any help is appreciated

/firsttimeprobz

I gave you help in your thread

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

jickracer007

Reaction score
I am in disbelieve that I have had no much positive feed back when I had an issue with trying the new .902 update
I was running shift3r 2.3 and was on 5.7.893
and so I though that I had everything copacetic and bam I can get to the reboot know but iy just says a white scrren with the buttons lite

Lownignitus

Reaction score
I am in disbelieve that I have had no much positive feed back when I had an issue with trying the new .902 update
I was running shift3r 2.3 and was on 5.7.893
and so I though that I had everything copacetic and bam I can get to the reboot know but iy just says a white scrren with the buttons lite

Um... what? I think you have some words wrong in that...

And a white screen? Ive never even briefly seen a white screen ever on my phone. I have had a black screen with only the back light and hard keys back lite as well...

And how long does/did you let the screen go for? What exactly did you do and resulted in getting this screen?

Need details to provide any help

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

jickracer007

Reaction score
I am Stuck in safe-strap and suggestion or is rsd lite fzw my only option or is there a back end to it?

jickracer007

Reaction score
I would like to say that it was about 5 minutes, and yes you are correct it is black screen with lite command keys

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am Stuck in safe-strap and suggestion or is rsd lite fzw my only option or is there a back end to it?

There is an option to disable safestrap, in safestrap. I think it is in the advanced menu.

Not too sure if this will fix the problem, but hopefully it will bypass the hack and you can get a normal boot.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Lownignitus

Reaction score
So you dont see the safestrap splashscreen?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2