How to Deodex Droid 2 GB, no wipe required.

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
You need to be on the prerooted GB leak.

I used this guide here to figure this all out.

"Process:

1. Download xUltimate here.
  2. Unzip xUltimate, and launch "Main.exe"
  3. If everything goes well xUlt should recognize the phone and make a connection. You now should see a list of options.
  4. Run option 1. After option 1 is done, run option 2.
  5. !!!!ERASE FROM the origi_app folder: MediaGallery.apk, MediaGallery.odex, VideoPlayer.apk, VideoPlayer.odex !!!!
  6. Now these will take a while. Run option 3.
  7. Now run option 4, and wait.
  8. Exit xUltimate, and put the phone in USB mass storage.
  9. Go back into the xUltimate folder and copy "done_frame", and "done_app", and move them to the root of the sdcard.
  10. Put the phone in charge only mode
  11. Open a command prompt, and do the following:
  12. adb shell
    su
    stop
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    cp /sdcard/done_app/* /system/app/
    cp /sdcard/done_frame/* /system/framework/
    rm /system/app/*.odex
    rm /system/framework/*.odex
    mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    reboot
  13. Push MediaGallery.apk and VideoPlayer.apk that you have downloaded in this post to the /system/app/ folder (Will post these here later tonight)
Enjoy!

Last edited:

ahC_hED

Reaction score
Thanks for this, been waiting for a release of deodexed. With all the stuff I've done on my phone, deodexing is something I have never touched, so thanks for this.

Sent from my DROID2 of shame.

ahC_hED

Reaction score
i flashed that first, and got all kinds of force closes. On step 3 of xUltimate, i get an error, but cant seem to figure out why.

gammaxgoblin

Reaction score
Follow these directions carefully.

YOU CAN ONLY USE THIS FILE IF YOU HAVE ALREADY UPGRADED TO GINGERBREAD

1. [COLOR=#c80000 !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#c80000 !important][FONT=inherit !important]Download[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] the following file and place on the root of your sdcard.

File size = 142.0 MB (148916872 bytes)
md5sum = 6caa64a98c88ba717ace7b6b20573530

Direct Download 1 - Download Now

Rooted, Deodexed Droid 2 - Mirror 1
Rooted, Deodexed Droid 2 - Mirror 2
Rooted, Deodexed Droid 2 - Mirror 3
Rooted, Deodexed Droid 2 - Mirror 4
Rooted, Deodexed Droid 2 - Mirror 5

2. Put phone into bootstrap recovery

3. Install the file you downloaded above

4. Sit back and watch ([COLOR=#c80000 !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#c80000 !important][FONT=inherit !important]Your [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#c80000 !important][FONT=inherit !important]phone[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] will bootloop for approx 2 mins, if any longer than that, pull battery and restart your phone.

You should now have gingerbread and it should be rooted.

did you follow these instructions explicitly?

and it has to be on the root on the sd card

Last edited:

ahC_hED

Reaction score
Steps were done exactly as mentioned...i dont think im the only one with problems with force closing from that file.

Edit: Redownloaded from different mirror and that worked, not sure what was different.

Last edited:

gammaxgoblin

Reaction score
i installed it last night and no fc at all. i have been having some random reboots with gb overall but nothing linked to this so far. fyi quadrant and linpack scores for me with gb, root and imoseyon are the same i got from the froyo roms of rubix and liberty, actually the quadrant scores are much higher on gb. i been thinking about trying to learn how to compile apks and trying to mash up a blurless gb, but by the time i figure it out, im sure others are already doing it.

bigwilly90210

Reaction score
The first time I tried this the prerooted gingerbread worked great no problems whatsoever and super snappy at 1.1ghz ULV. However as soon as I flashed over it with the deodexed everything went to hell. Weatherbug and Wordpress would constantly force close. So I wiped data and reinstalled the deodexed gb.zip. Didn't boot, wiped, reinstalled. Nothing worked. Sbf'ed back to 2.2, reroot, installed prerooted gb again. Didn't install any apps, and went straight to deodexed one again. Yeah, booted and force closed everything like crazy. Idk what's going on or what steps I should take. Im sending this from stock 2.2 rooted, too scared to do anything else to it... I can prolly get back to the prerooted gb no problem, but after that idk man... anyone else having issues installing the deodexed? Idk what I'm doing wrong! :-S

Sent from my little blue astromech using DroidForums App

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
For some reason tweetdeck force closes for me. Everything else works fine.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

gammaxgoblin

Reaction score
The first time I tried this the prerooted gingerbread worked great no problems whatsoever and super snappy at 1.1ghz ULV. However as soon as I flashed over it with the deodexed everything went to hell. Weatherbug and Wordpress would constantly force close. So I wiped data and reinstalled the deodexed gb.zip. Didn't boot, wiped, reinstalled. Nothing worked. Sbf'ed back to 2.2, reroot, installed prerooted gb again. Didn't install any apps, and went straight to deodexed one again. Yeah, booted and force closed everything like crazy. Idk what's going on or what steps I should take. Im sending this from stock 2.2 rooted, too scared to do anything else to it... I can prolly get back to the prerooted gb no problem, but after that idk man... anyone else having issues installing the deodexed? Idk what I'm doing wrong! :-S

in your last statement....you have to be on 2.3 rooted to install the deodexed gb....cant go from 2.2 to deodexed 2.3

edit - nvm misread

gammaxgoblin

Reaction score

here is a guess - from reading the manual deodex process, i know some files must be on the ROOT of the sd card. i placed the 2.3 deodex file on the root of my sd card, moved from comp. im wondering if you dl it straight to the d2 and its in the download folder instead of the root of the sd card and if this isnt causing the problems....just a guess!

fishaholic

Reaction score
For some reason tweetdeck force closes for me. Everything else works fine.

what steps did you take to install??? I keep getting FC's or bootloops no matter how many times i wipe... :icon_evil:

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I downloaded the file. I didn't even put it on the root of my sd card, I forgot. Then I booted into the bootstrap recovery, flashed the file and rebooted. I didn't even wipe. Only problem is tweetdeck.

hond2

Reaction score
I emailed TBH but no reply, been having probs with deodexed version as well. Whatever you do, do not wipe data while installing or anytime after you have it running! Nothing but bootloops! Was able to get into clockwork and restore root gb version ok.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums