How I Payed $299 To PreOrder The Galaxy Note 3 And Kept Unlimited Data!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just to add my own opinion.. VZW is a multi million dollar company with what is most likely a big, if not huge IT team... i'm sure they are very aware that the "glitch" was there.. they would be able to see everyone who was taking advantage of this as it was happening, no doubt happening by the masses.. if big red didnt want this to happen, why wouldn't they have just shut the entire sales side of the site down? or at least the upgrade portion.. as far as the needing to try a couple times.. could be easily explained.. difference in browsers, how much traffic there was on the site etc etc

In times past their site has been down while they do updates, usually at oh dark thirty in the morning when I'm trying to use the thing.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notetoo

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
According to dlife VZW will honor the unlimited data let's see if that is the case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Scott B

Reaction score
i just forfeited my unlimited data about 2 weeks ago......wish this post was made back then! but after about 8 hours on the phone with Verizon, I received 2 credits plus a cheaper offer for a 6gb plan. I hate Verizon for forcing us out of our unlimited data, but I dislike the other carriers just as much! AT&T is the only company that I would consider changing to but the prices they offered me were actually more then what I am paying now plus they don't have unlimited data anymore either. I guess it is, what it is.......

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got my note 3 today. I will open it and activate it within the next few days. Has anyone else activated theirs? Still have unlim data?

ainzwurth

Reaction score
I activated mine about 11a.m. I didn't use the sim that came with it. I used my old one. No issues. Still show unlimited. The paperwork that came with it did show the 2gb data plan. I'll keep an eye on it.

Rayv

Reaction score
I got my note 3 today. I will open it and activate it within the next few days. Has anyone else activated theirs? Still have unlim data?
Sort of. It is activated. My paperwork said I was being moved to a tiered plan though. After a long call with verizon and having to email them a copy of my email stating that I signed up for unlimited, they said they would in fact put me back onto the unlimited data once we activated the phones, but that it would take up to 48 hours. As of right now my account shows that I am on a limited data plan and that I have gone over my monthly allowance. Not sure how they figure that given I was under the current allowance by far before activating these. I have a feeling I will have to call back when they try to charge me for these supposed overages they have emailed and texted me warnings about /facepalm.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I activated mine and currently have unlimited data. No real issue as long as you ordered on September 29th or 30th you're good.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk now Free

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon is changing data to 2GB on Preorders with Unlimited data, call 611 to restore - xda-developers

A lot of people are having trouble with this. If you use your old SIM, no issue; if you don't you're going over to tiered and having to call in to get it fixed. How much of a headache follows depends entirely on how knowledgeable the reps are and what access they have on hand.

It's also worth noting that someone in the thread was told that he would have Unlimited for the duration of his 2-year contract but that he would lose it once the contract period ends and would be moved to a tiered plan. Seems like this is a good indication that VZ plans to force everyone into limited data packages and if you live outside of major coverage areas for other carriers you may have little choice but to suck it up and go on WiFi as often as you can. Guess we'll see how it all turns out.

Definitely buying my new device off-contract, just curious as to what kind of problems I'll have to deal with myself as I don't currently have a SIM to swap in so I'll be using whatever comes with the phone.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I was put on the Max plan with 6GB. Probably would have been fine but I wanted my data for principles sake. No argument at all when I activated mine. When I tried activating my wife's on the other hand was more stressful. Acted like they knew nothing and could do nothing. Then asked how my experience with Verizon was. Told them it's going downhill as we speak, then I asked for a supervisor. He knew about the glitch and that it was being honored if you ordered on the 29th and 30th of September only. So if you think you got in on the glitch but did not order on those 2 days you're out of luck. As far as I know. I'm happy things worked out in my case. So if you know you're in the right press the issue is all I can say.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was put on the Max plan with 6GB. Probably would have been fine but I wanted my data for principles sake. No argument at all when I activated mine. When I tried activating my wife's on the other hand was more stressful. Acted like they knew nothing and could do nothing. Then asked how my experience with Verizon was. Told them it's going downhill as we speak, then I asked for a supervisor. He knew about the glitch and that it was being honored if you ordered on the 29th and 30th of September only. So if you think you got in on the glitch but did not order on those 2 days you're out of luck. As far as I know. I'm happy things worked out in my case. So if you know you're in the right press the issue is all I can say.

Well the receipts that people are getting with their orders are showing dates for the 1st and 2nd of October even if they ordered during the glitch window because of how the orders were processed, or at least that's the claim. It's all very shady =p Also had a rep in store trying to get me to go with Edge because he's basically saying that VZ's plan is to end Unlimited for everyone ASAP. The reps are also being told that 5% of users on the network with unlimited are using in the area of 70-80% of the bandwidth. It's all a little screwy behind big red's doors at the moment.

Willyammer

Reaction score
It took me 5 minutes on the phone for them to put my unlimited plan back. I'm not a big data user but it's the principle of it all.

Carol_in_FL

Reaction score
Verizon is changing data to 2GB on Preorders with Unlimited data, call 611 to restore - xda-developers

A lot of people are having trouble with this. If you use your old SIM, no issue; if you don't you're going over to tiered and having to call in to get it fixed. How much of a headache follows depends entirely on how knowledgeable the reps are and what access they have on hand.

It's also worth noting that someone in the thread was told that he would have Unlimited for the duration of his 2-year contract but that he would lose it once the contract period ends and would be moved to a tiered plan. Seems like this is a good indication that VZ plans to force everyone into limited data packages and if you live outside of major coverage areas for other carriers you may have little choice but to suck it up and go on WiFi as often as you can. Guess we'll see how it all turns out.

Definitely buying my new device off-contract, just curious as to what kind of problems I'll have to deal with myself as I don't currently have a SIM to swap in so I'll be using whatever comes with the phone.

I currently didn't have a sim card so I couldn't activate and went to the Verizon store. They said I couldn't keep my unlimited plan and both my son and I would each be put on the Max Plan -- 6 GB each for the same $29.99. I unhappily took it and went home.

Then I read your post and went to the xda developers forum. Someone there said just call Billing and tell them they made a mistake. You ordered during the "Glitch", had an order confirmation with Unlimited Data, etc. and they would change you back to unlimited in 5 minutes. Well it took longer than that but I got my Unlimited back for 2 more years. Maybe!!

Thanks for the reference to that other Forum!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I love it when the consumer strikes back. Good job guys!

They said I couldn't keep my unlimited plan and both my son and I would each be put on the Max Plan -- 6 GB each for the same $29.99. I unhappily took it and went home.

My wife just moved from unlimited to Max -- on the off chance that Verizon loses it in the next year or two and simply pulls everyone (without a contract) off unlimited. In her case it's really a moot point, but for me I'll hold on to unlimited until the clouds REALLY begin to roll in.

In the meantime, here's a reasonable (hypothetical) alternative for moderate data users like me: put unlimited users on Max (6GB) and GIVE US ROLLOVER MBs!!! I would easily accrue 48 extra GBs within 12 months, and that would more than keep me satisfied with a tiered plan. Of course, for anyone running a house off of their unlimited plan I'm sure 48GB is less than a week's worth. LOL What I'd give to be a fly on the wall at one of VZW's internal meetings that discuss actual data usage.

-Matt

Last edited:

Carol_in_FL

Reaction score
I currently didn't have a sim card so I couldn't activate and went to the Verizon store. They said I couldn't keep my unlimited plan and both my son and I would each be put on the Max Plan -- 6 GB each for the same $29.99. I unhappily took it and went home.

Then I read your post and went to the xda developers forum. Someone there said just call Billing and tell them they made a mistake. You ordered during the "Glitch", had an order confirmation with Unlimited Data, etc. and they would change you back to unlimited in 5 minutes. Well it took longer than that but I got my Unlimited back for 2 more years. Maybe!!

Thanks for the reference to that other Forum!
I just went on My Verizon and it's still showing the 6GB Max Plan for both me and my son, even though CS told me and sent me a text that they were changing it back to Unlimited (about 5PM on Friday). I think I'll wait until Monday and if it's still showing the 6GB I'm calling 611 again. (This is really starting to annoy me -- I've already spent several hours trying to get this straightened out. That Verizon store I went to is an hour from my house!)