How To Keep Your Unthrottled Unlimited Verizon Data

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

So tomorrow marks the beginning of throttled data for us grandfathered unlimited data users on Verizon. As mentioned yesterday in order to be throttled you must meet 4 requirements. You must be on an unlimited data plan, you must be out of contract, you must be in the top 5% of data users, and you must be on a congested tower.

You can actually avoid throttling for the next two years if you act right now (after midnight tonight throttling begins)! There is a little known loophole which allows you to upgrade your device and keep unlimited data. With this method you will extend your contract by 2 years which means you won't be throttled for another two years. There is a slight risk that you can lose your unlimited data for good if you don't follow directions to a T. You will need to upgrade your cellphone online through bestbuy, choose to have the phone shipped (won't work if you chose in store pickup), once the phone arrives DO NOT POWER ON, take the sim that it shipped with out of the phone and insert your current sim, then power up the phone. The swap order with the 2GB per month plan is on the new sim card. If you discard the new sim card the swap never occurs and you will keep unlimited, and your plan will be extended for 2 years. Head to the link below for full instructions. Also know that DroidForums accepts no liability for your actions. If you somehow mess it up and lose your UDP that will be on you so beware.

via SlickDeals

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't bank on this. If VZW is going to throttle unlimited users, then there's no reason to expect they won't strip these people of their unlimited data because I'm quite certain they have that ability in their TOS.

Not to mention this is more of a glitch than a loophole, one which VZW would be fully in their rights to correct retroactively. Of course, once they process your first monthly payment you could argue that's acceptance of an alternative contract you offered. Would never be worth pursuing unless you had thousands of others to join you in a class action, though.

Also not sure why this loophole wouldn't work after tonight. You're on a contract either way, and that's either going to save you from throttling or not regardless of when you entered the contract.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hmm that would be a good question to ponder. Would this actually work after tonight.

Also Verizon has shown in the past that they will make good on their glitches. I purchased the Note 3 during the upgrade glitch which allowed users to upgrade their device and keep unlimited data.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
hmm that would be a good question to ponder. Would this actually work after tonight.

I question whether it would work at all. You don't have a limited plan, and in theory VZW can throttle anyone on unlimited data, contract or not. Not sure if they could throttle someone under contract on the LTE band, but I'm not sure they can do it to someone not on contract, either. Appears they will risk the ire of the FCC regardless.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I question whether it would work at all. You don't have a limited plan, and in theory VZW can throttle anyone on unlimited data, contract or not. Not sure if they could throttle someone under contract on the LTE band, but I'm not sure they can do it to someone not on contract, either. Appears they will risk the ire of the FCC regardless.

They specifically stated that you would need to be off contract, have unlimited data, be in the top 5% of data users, and be on a congested tower before you would be throttled

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I thought there was a thread a few months ago that said this Best Buy loophole was closed and if you did what you are saying you would instantly lose unlimited data? Maybe I mis-read what was in that thread though???

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
no this is actually more of a glitch. That was a loophole. It allowed you to upgrade a dumb phone line to a smart phone line, then place the new smartphone on the unlimited data plan, and then place a dumb phone back on that 9.99 extra line plan which would automatically remove the $35 per month data package from the line.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
no this is actually more of a glitch. That was a loophole. It allowed you to upgrade a dumb phone line to a smart phone line, then place the new smartphone on the unlimited data plan, and then place a dumb phone back on that 9.99 extra line plan which would automatically remove the $35 per month data package from the line.
OK...thanks. I definitely misunderstood. This all gets confusing sometimes.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
it does get confusing for sure. I just went to bestbuy and upgraded my line with the bestbuy method. I will report back here if it works.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'd be interested to see if this works. I'd buy another phone as a backup.

swc2001

Reaction score
WOW!! Pretty neat,.... But I dont have enough chest hair to be that Brave.

shockracer

Reaction score
I'll sit back and wait for the FCC to jump Verizons ish for this. I'm also wondering if the FCC will make them prove the tower is congested or let VZW just throttle everyone and claim the towers are congested when they are not?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'll be interested to know what device DMX "upgraded" to, being that he's already got most of the flagship models.

tap'n on my S5

Last edited: