Tomorrow Officially Brings An End To True Unlimited Data For Verizon Customers

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
cacd24b60655f58d77fc7e8cdd34bf6c.jpg

0a039c2e58a8628b1a14bca2f49eecbc.jpg

Guess the stars haven't aligned for me yet. Full speed ahead!

soulpatch

Reaction score
SWC2001 - Throttling is not a hit against your unlimited data. Speed is not guarenteed in any way otherwise people could argue when 4G goes down and sue them. Trottling is allowed viathe FCC "technically" though the FCC has pushed back somewhat in recent months.

The unlimited data states that you have no caps onhe amount of data you use. But no where does it state that you would have certain speeds available to you to pull a certain amountof data down. I guess it depends on how far they throttle. If they slow the person to a point that they are still able to pull down 40GB+ a month then one would not have much footingto stand on complaining about unlimited data. If however they throttle to the point that you obtain less then 30GB then you would have a standing in a court that they are pulling you further below what a tiered option woudl be even though you paid for unlimited.

Though for the above arguement you would still need to beunder contract and not month to month since TECHNICALLY month to month is no longer a contract by either party.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
oXnlMNP.png

Z97BQuZ.png
my speeds at work. Not great but certainly not slow enough to be a problem. I'll repost tonight when I get home. It'll be interesting to see exactly where they throttle me since I use just as much data at work streaming podcasts & music all day then I do at home. I believe the tower at home is the more congested tower though.

tap'n on my S5

Last edited:

swc2001

Reaction score
Soul patch- Well I am not sure of the Legal situation of what is and what isnt... Maybe you have a better grasp on it.
I dont know time will tell.....
as of yet my speeds seem unchanged.
However Mustang 02 seems to have been lowered. although I will be honest if I get 2.36 like he did I will be happy as clam. That is plenty to stream netflix or do whatever. I mean shoot that is what it was back in the day when all we had was 3G.... In fact that was pretty much top dog 3G speeds.

Again Brother I hope nothing I said offended you. If so I am sorry. It was not meant that way.

soulpatch

Reaction score
Not offended in any way though the fact still stands that Verizon has throttled some already and has been in front of the FCC already for their plans to throttle unlimited data users without any recourse. Your contract makes no stipulations on speed of the network but that they have to give you access.

Their throttling of your speeds do not run afoul with the contract. Now is it best practice or for the benefit of the customer? Not if you are the one being throttled. Now for those others on he tower that is slowed by one downloading everything under the sun? Sure. The issue is that no one trusts Verizon to slow only on congested towers and not try to make the lives of those on unlimited painful for them to switch.

swc2001

Reaction score
in your opinion how slow do you think they will slow us down to?
or is that just complete conjecture.... I mean will they slow us down below normal 3G speeds?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Vzw backed off... They're not going to throttle... Supposedly..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Nice! Bummer to those who left already, or jumped on a different plan before waiting for the actual outcome.

tap'n on my S5

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Interesting....So my service just stinks today then - back and forth all day between 3G and edge!

Any way, good news. And, once again, VZW gets heavy criticism for something they planned (or, usually, merely rumored) to do and never did.

Can't help but wonder if my service issue today is related to them setting this up to throttle and then trying to reverse it.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, now I suppose we sit and wait to see if VZW ends unlimited plans period (for those of us on month-to-month). If they backed off because of the FCC (presumably), then this is the first REAL and official indication we've had that VZW is ready to take action against unlimited users (normally I'd say abusers, but the limits quoted can't be considered abuse at this point).