[Rumor] Verizon Plans to Throttle Some 4G LTE Users on Unlimited Data Plans

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I am sure the app gives you an option to download offline news stories via wifi only.

Sure it does. And just one example. I was only pointing out it's easier than ever to "legit" use gigs and gigs of data.

I don't really get why VZW is stressing or concerned with what must only be a few million users at this point. They reserve the right to cancel people's contract for any reason, so just go ahead and terminate the 5% of heavy users. It's like 200K people...do it over 1-2 years and it's a rounding error on revenues/profits.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
This is just a way to get rid of the abusers, and you know who you are.

Like I said, I download all my news for offline reading. So even if I did that on 3G/LTE, I'd be unlikely to notice throttling (until I tried to watch some videos). Same thing with market/stock data - got a bunch of widgets updating in the background throughout the day and when I glance at it, I know it's current data within an hour.

Really interesting idea in its own right....If you think about apps downloading/caching data in the background bandwidth needs spike, but then it's also an opportunity to give that background data different priority (oh nooo's, net neutrality, no no no!) to make much more efficient use of available bandwidth.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
In light of this and thinking about it for a few days I'm bailing on VZW... Kinda. My wife is keeping her plan and I'm placing a WiFi hotspot on the additional line with a massive data pool. My phone is moving to a TMo $30 5GB plan. When I need big amounts of data I'll just use the VZW hotspot. I'll be saving about 30% off of my cell bill AND I get to use Nexus devices, or maybe the Oppo Find7, or a OnePlus if I can get an invite.

Thanks VZW!

blacksoxing

Reaction score
In the month of May, I actually used roughly 50GB. It was the first time I broke 10GB willingly. Previously, I'd let TitaniumBackup run on 4G just for fun so I could justify the high price I pay.

House flooded and my temp house didn't have the internets, so we abused my tethering. It.felt.great!!!!!

Regardless, I guess I'd need to know how the slow down would work for me to be outraged. If it means it'll slow down to a max of let's say 5mbs.....I wouldn't shed a tear. That's still fast enough to stream in HD and while your download/upload rates might suffer, hypothetically you're still doing better than many folks who pay for DSL!

If it got slowed to like 2mb....I might wanna throw a fit.

Regardless, as long as it was still unlimited, I wouldn't be mad. I know though that now I gotta get my brother a new phone before OCT, as he still has an iPhone 4 that's on 3G. Time to plan the unlimited plan shuffle on the family line....

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Reactions: cr6

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
No one said they are ending unlimited data plans, just closing a few loopholes people used to circumvent around having to purchase a phone outright to stay on unlimited.
This all part of it first the closing of the loopholes what do you think will follow? You can not even purchase unlimited data anymore with Verizon.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
This all part of it first the closing of the loopholes what do you think will follow? You can not even purchase unlimited data anymore with Verizon.

As far as I know, they still allow the sale/transfer of grandfather unlimited plans. That would be the first to go if they actually intend to end unlimited.

People have been predicting the killing of unlimited data for 4 years. They continue to be wrong.

Pretty clear VZW has been chipping away at the margins, probably hoping to whittle it down to an acceptably small % of users. The big thing is throttling to drive off the heavy users. The people using <5gigs per month don't appear to be in any jeopardy of having their unlimited data affected in the near future.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They'll just keep restricting you until you don't have a choice. Technology is constantly changing. Unlimited data has been around since 2007 or so, and it's time for change.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
You have not been able to purchase unlimited data for years, since they stopped offering it, so what are you saying. This has NOTHING to do with people circumventing the system to stay on unlimited and not pay retail "may it be Amazon, Ebay, craigslist, swappa, or from their friend" for a phone.