[Rumor] Verizon Plans to Throttle Some 4G LTE Users on Unlimited Data Plans

IN AWE

Reaction score
So Verizon is trying to tell us all that 4.7GB of data use puts you in the top 5%? I call B#llSh!t, No way is this true. Maybe a few years ago it was true, but not now days.

hkwise01

Reaction score
With the recent quarterly profits you would think they would reinvest and make their network more capable of carrying the load. With my recent move to the city I'll drop them in a minute. 100$ these days buys Internet at home and a great pre-paid plan much less T-Mobile or sprint.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If this is true, it may be enough to push me away from Verizon. I use an average of 5GB a month just streaming Music while at work. And before anyone says to just switch to a Wifi network, let me say this: standing in the middle of a golf course, there is no Wifi.

And let's not get started on my average 2GB Web usage. Or my Twitch streams.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
The abusers know who they are, the ones that use their unlimited data for their home Internet and use upwards of 50-100 GB a month, did they actual think that Verizon would not notice, the unlimited data plan is only for your smartphone "not home Internet". I also have unlimited and never went over 5GB a month since inception, I would not feel one bit sorry for the hogers.

Last edited:

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
If this is true, it may be enough to push me away from Verizon. I use an average of 5GB a month just streaming Music while at work. And before anyone says to just switch to a Wifi network, let me say this: standing in the middle of a golf course, there is no Wifi.

And let's not get started on my average 2GB Web usage. Or my Twitch streams.
You will not be throttled, you are not considered an abuser, the ones that go to extremes will get hammered, and they know who they are.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You will not be throttled, you are not considered an abuser, the ones that go to extremes will get hammered, and they know who they are.
Sadly I doubt Verizon will see it that way. I routinely average about 30GB in the summer and about 12-14 when back in classes in the fall and winter.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I, all the sudden, don't regret getting rid of my unlimited line for a cheaper shared plan.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Was 2gb couple years ago, now it's 4.7, a couple years from now it will be 10gb. If they throttle me from 80mbps down to 40 I think I'll survive.

Red Droid

Reaction score
Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way.

3G users were "optimized" to encourage them to upgrade hardware and move to 4G LTE. Are the 4G users likewise being encouraged to upgrade to 4G XLTE?

Notice the commercials are touting XLTE. Is there a difference?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I thought that court case way back said they couldn't throttle LTE?

Network optimization would be something different, but if that were the case everyone would be affected during peak times. I also remember many complaints of VZW throttling back in the 3G days, but I don't think anyone was ever able to show proof.

I've never had issue with them cracking down on people using unlimited to replace their home broadband. 4.7gigs is way too low - weren't they just recently offering 6gigs to entice people off unlimited?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
And it is possible to burn massive amounts of data if you want. I have an app that downloads a bunch of news stories for offline reading, and it can easily burn 500megs by itself in a day. But I'm usually connected to wifi.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm interested to see how this plays out.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
And it is possible to burn massive amounts of data if you want. I have an app that downloads a bunch of news stories for offline reading, and it can easily burn 500megs by itself in a day. But I'm usually connected to wifi.
I am sure the app gives you an option to download offline news stories via wifi only.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I knew something would come about after the last of the unlimited folks were out of contract on June 29th. Love my $138 a month, Unlimited t&t, 10gb, 3 smartphone bill on AT&T. And I actually get better reception in some areas. And got almost $700 for my two grandfathered unlimited plans. I imagine their worth just went south. Glad I sold out when I did.