Home Replacement Apps = Completely new phone experience.

dajakal

Reaction score
The only thing I like about GDE is that it has a "call" soft-button on the toolbar across all the home screens. Is there any way to add that to Pandahome?

slammed

Reaction score
Panda also had a dockbar that hides on the side of the screen that you can put aps in. then from any screen you can pull out the dockbar and have access to a call/phone app

Luxferro

Reaction score
Also, I found it pretty annoying that it often took 3 or 4 clicks to get the app list to come up because of how the slider works. It should ALWAYS bring you to the app list. The menu button should bring up the menu. That part is the worst thing about GDE.

I just installed a GDE update today, it fixes the soft menu button, allowing you to just make it go directly to the app draw. (there is a separate button customization for the soft menu, and the regular menu key.)

It also added an app dock bar.

denlem

Reaction score
I installed the release version of Panda Home yesterday. I was amazed with the changes and how quick it was. Today was a little different. I started seeing the black screens, especially when moving icons from the tray to the home screens, and going from one screen to another. It will go black for maybe 10-15 seconds then slowly go back to the home screen. For the most part there is very little lag, but there are times when it just bogs down. I like that is also runs Open Home themes. I find that the panda themes out there see to be geared to the younger crowd. There are many more Open Home themes that are more to my liking, and being able to run them on Panda is a plus.

This version was turned out pretty quick, so i'm sure in the upcoming weeks it's only going to improve. It's a keeper!

ironosity

Reaction score
Open Home updated! With the update you can take screen shots again. W00t!

ironosity

Reaction score
@DroidxRage...I uninstalled Open Home Full a couple days after I bought it for FCs. Then I read that it had gotten better after an update and reinstalled it. Since then (maybe 3 or 4 days) I've had maybe 2 FC so much better. As for the side dock I'm not sure what you mean. You mean like Panda home where it's a shelf that pulls out? It still just has that drawer thing you pull out from the side. At first I didn't like it but I gave it another try and now I like it. Wish they'd let you view all the apps by letter range like panda home...

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I had open home, panda and ahome. Tried all of them. I had system crashes or major slow downs. I am waiting for the 2.0 compatible. Has anyone heard of one yet.
pandahome is now droid compatible and it rocks!!

DroidxRage

Reaction score
I caved and bought GDE last night... Open home Force Closed for me about 70% of the time, Panda (although more features than OH) black screened on me about as much. So I decided to say "to hell" with reading reviews and just try it myself. GDE seems to be very stable. In playing around with it for a few hrs last night, I'd say less than 10% black screens and well under 5% force closes. Cube display is pretty slick looking, and the features like the application dock, and bottom soft keys are very useful. Again, I've only had it for about 12 hours, but from first impressions, this might be the most stable, and definitely one of the better featured home replacement apps that I've tried. Oh, I run 7 screens with application docks on each (10+ shortcuts in each) and about 2-3 widgets on each workspace. So I'm definitely pushing this thing. BTW - "Launcher Dock" is a free widget that lets you organize things like bookmarks, favorites, shortcuts, direct call/text shortcuts. Pretty cool and combined with the application dock of GDE or the Sidebar of Pandahome can really make your home screens nice

mad3963

Reaction score
I've been using Panda Home a while now. Works great, as long as I don't turn my phone off. Have it setup with 5 screens at the moment. 4 dockbars. Apps Organizer shortcuts on Main (center) screen, widgets on the other 4 screens. Layout is perfect (for me). BUT, when I turn the phone off and turn it back on, all my widgets stop working. I have to completely remove everything and completely rebuild my layout to get it working again. This is BS! And yes...there are occasions where I do need to turn off the phone. Also, I still get the occasional black screen with PH, as well as some occasional lag when swiping from one screen to the next.

Noticed someone mentioned that Open Home seemed to have improved, may give it another shot. Played with GDE a bit, may give it another try also.

Last edited:

Utzz

Reaction score
That 'Launcher Dock' widget works like a champ! Thanks for the heads up.

It seems with the recent improvements to Open Home & GDE, I may have to splurge. I'm currently using dxTop for two of its features though: the homescreen actually goes into landscape when the phone is rotated (like it should of been from the get-go) and it has a built in 'screen capture' utility (like the phone should have had...from the get-go).

Does Open Home and/or GDE accomplish both of these items?

sir

Reaction score
Home++ Beta just came out and it's free and it's AMAZING. Install it, and definitely read the help on it to give you tips on how to use and interact with it. I totally love it. I've submitted a bug to the developer and he already got back to me and said he's working on a new release that will incorporate the fix (once in a while the screen shifts down a few pixels, but can be fixed by hitting the home button).

Definitely give it a go. No skinning options, but the interaction redesign is killer.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I've been using Panda Home a while now. Works great, as long as I don't turn my phone off. Have it setup with 5 screens at the moment. 4 dockbars. Apps Organizer shortcuts on Main (center) screen, widgets on the other 4 screens. Layout is perfect (for me). BUT, when I turn the phone off and turn it back on, all my widgets stop working. I have to completely remove everything and completely rebuild my layout to get it working again. This is BS! And yes...there are occasions where I do need to turn off the phone. Also, I still get the occasional black screen with PH, as well as some occasional lag when swiping from one screen to the next.

Noticed someone mentioned that Open Home seemed to have improved, may give it another shot. Played with GDE a bit, may give it another try also.
What version of panda are you using? im using the Panda Home ~~~NEW~~~ and i have NO PROBLEMS....this new one is for the Droid :)

Reaction score
Bought OpenHome the day the Droid was released (friend got Eris, and I was REALLY jealous of the Sense UI) and wanted the aHome "Hero" theme. Worked very well, even before the updates. The only force close messages have been on boot-up, even after 2 updates since purchase. However, I have never opted to force close - I choose 'Wait" and the program immediately responds. Guess I lucked out on the HW/SW combo I picked up. But, I can definitely say I do like the Open Home app. :icon_ banana: