Home Applications

ytwokc5

Reaction score
I tried Slidescreen.... definitely a different take on the UI, not my thing, uninstalled pretty quickly.

I was using Home++ for awhile and I really liked it. Swapped to Helix 1 after upgrading to 2.1 and so far it does what I need it to do.

papy72

Reaction score
1. STOCK HOME
Like many, I need more than 3 screens.

3. HOME ++
I used this for a while. I liked the bottom bar thing but it FC'd on my like 5 times a day, so I dumped it.

Went to this after Home++. I really like the free Hero theme on the market and the bottom bar support (just two icons but still very nice). Only real reason I got away from it was that I wanted to try the next one.

8. CLOCKWORK MOD
What can I say, I like the Nexus One look. Five screens, the quick screen switcher dots next to the app drawer, a long-press to show you thumbnails of your screens, etc. This combined with a rooted 2.1 is what I feel my Droid "should have" been out of the box.

I haven't tried any of the others.

PriestSyrinx

Reaction score
Been experimenting with FreedHome. I like the customization and themes. That being said, has anyone else been experiencing choppiness when scrolling through the App Drawer? The tray pulls up fine, but scrolling through the apps isn't as smooth as other home replacements for me.

OP
armeddroid

armeddroid

Reaction score
Been experimenting with FreedHome. I like the customization and themes. That being said, has anyone else been experiencing choppiness when scrolling through the App Drawer? The tray pulls up fine, but scrolling through the apps isn't as smooth as other home replacements for me.

Yeah same here...on the scrolling part.
Overall its a decent speed. Im off Freedhome until the DEV goes farther into it. then i will jump back on.
I am messing with SLIDESCREEN..this is not what i might call a HOME app, but more like an app that has alot of your information in one place.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Just installed Freedhome, and so far I'm impressed! I've been waiting for the grid size option since day ONE with my droid. 5x4 icons just makes SO MUCH MORE SENSE. You have to force it to be in Portrait mode, however, or the icons/widgets will overlap. Not a big deal - I prefer my homescreen to stay in portrait anyway.

I'd give it an A+ if it had the docked icons like Helix does. Here's hoping they combine resources and intellectual property to make one perfect launcher.

OP
armeddroid

armeddroid

Reaction score
I'm back on Zeam. It's very fast and stable for me. No landscape or LWP support but they just added Full Screen. Slidescreen was just a strange home app. Didn't like it. Tag Home is interesting and has a few neat features. But so far, If Zeam keeps going it will easily compete with Helix1. Still messing with them.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
helix 1
so far most stable and fast love the locked icons on the bottom (definitely makes things easier)and full lwp support which is a plus if im in the mood to use one

home++
my favorite by far but it needs to be updated big time personally dont like lazy load app drawer so rolled back to the one that supports lwp (no touch though-not a big deal) but wish you could rearrange power strip (kind of a downer) and FCs a lot other than that love everything about it

freedhome
just got it so not much to say about it but love the extra rows and columns (why dont we have this in anything else??) like the almost complete customization idea but needs work (understand its still beta)

zeam
also just got but its too simple for my liking

tried some of the others but either had issues (that might be fixed by now) too many FCs or too slow for me

ill use home++ again IF its ever updated again

wish i could have a mix of quite a few of these in one wish i could write my own home app but wouldnt even know where to begin

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
tag home - is what I use currently.

-the quick switch buttons on screens allow you to jump from screen 5 to 2 (or whatever) instantly and ability to categorize your menu is a plus.
-It's free....
-5 home screens
-FC about 3 times a day
-app shortcut for 4 apps beside the menu tray. you can change the transperancy of those shortcuts, as well as the menu button to fully clear, to completely solid. you can also change your page switching buttons on top transperencies too.
-very plain and similiar to helix launchers as far as homescreens go.

overall, out of the free ones I have found, I like this one the best.

if OP would be so kind, list out the prices of each home app as well, I think that would be helpful to droid newbies. Sometimes, any app comes down to a cost vs features tradeoff

Last edited:

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
tag home is what I use currently. the quick switch on screens and ability to categorize your menu is a plus. It's also free....

if OP would be so kind, list out the prices of each home app as well, I think that would be helpful to droid newbies. Sometimes, any app comes down to a cost vs features tradeoff

meant to add that to my post price is definitely a big issue with a lot of people although it is pretty simple to look yourself by searching it the market

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
tag home is what I use currently. the quick switch on screens and ability to categorize your menu is a plus. It's also free....

meant to add that to my post price is definitely a big issue with a lot of people although it is pretty simple to look yourself by searching it the market

oh yeah, very simple, I agree, but if you got it available.... (not that I'm not appreciative of the other features you give) lol

OP
armeddroid

armeddroid

Reaction score

-the quick switch buttons on screens allow you to jump from screen 5 to 2 (or whatever) instantly and ability to categorize your menu is a plus.
-It's free....
-5 home screens
-FC about 3 times a day
-app shortcut for 4 apps beside the menu tray. you can change the transperancy of those shortcuts, as well as the menu button to fully clear, to completely solid. you can also change your page switching buttons on top transperencies too.

Aight. Done. :]

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score

-It's free....
-5 home screens
-FC about 3 times a day

Aight. Done. :]

you da man

malstorme

Reaction score
Sigh..

Sooner or later I'll find a home app that I like, not sure what I am looking for(which makes it harder) but every one I try, I end up going back to the stock home and deleting the new app.

BUT, I love this thread and will check it often!

Rollingbones

Reaction score
This is an area I've been playing with for about 3+ months. Stock home is just that...stock!!!

First, Home Switcher is a must if you're experimenting with home apps.

Tried Home++. I really liked this one (my current 2d choice). I liked not having the Notification Bar at the top and with the customizeable permanent function bar at the bottom was nice (could use better widgets). I was getting 1-2 FC's/day and Live Wallpapers are not supported (no big deal since I don't use them anyway... unnecessary use of juice). I use Handcent as my texing program (really sweet) and the notification/quick response mode was disfunctional. You can use up to 7 screens and can opt for a continuous scroll (screws up the wallpaper though). The most screens I'll currently use is 5 with the home screen void of widgets except for time and date.

Next..Advanced Launcher. Can't remember why I didn't like it, but I didn't.

Next..dx Top. Very interesting home program. Has 4 screens that you can directly go from one to another using up/down or side/side finger sweeps. That bugged me. There were a couple of other reasons I didn't like it, but some people I know do. Overall it did function fairly well.

Finally: Helix 1. I like everthing about it except for the notification bar still being at the top, but I can live with it. I like the 4 permanent widgets at the bottom, though it will only allow a certain set of widgets to be used there (again, no big deal). It seems to support everything (yes, Live Wallpaper) that I've loaded.

Tried Freedhome. Didn't last long. couldn't ditch the notice at the top, no permanent bar at the bottom for wigets and couldn't find the notification bar... gone

I'll try some of the others, but to start with it has to work in landscape since I do use that mode a lot. Helix 1 will be hard to beat, but will keep looking (only at freebees at this time). I don't mind spending a buck or two if something looks promising. Some apps will issue you a refund if you decide you don't like it and uninstall.

Well... that's my $.02 worth of IMHO!!!

Last edited: