Help me not buy an iPhone 5

bnpdp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
God's Phone aka Pixel 3 XL
Why every time an Idevice comes out do we have to have these threads.

If you have to have a bunch of anonymous people convince you to stay with the best then you probably didn't really want to be here anyway.

If your going to compare the I5 to anything it should be the S3 not the OG or the R2.

I didn't buy the OG and join this site in its infancy to have to read about anything I.

Sorry for the rant but I hate seeing any thread that starts with Ianything.

Good luck with your locked down Idevice.

By the way there will always be something newer and possibly better right around the corner.

bnpdp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
God's Phone aka Pixel 3 XL
Tried to look at the iPhone 5 and that was a test of patience. Translated that means I stopped waiting and just walked out of the store. I did play with the D4 and S3 and liked them both. I have been so used to having my D2 that the S3 felt so light and flimsy. I hate to sound stupid about this, but with it being plastic backed and so thin, does the screen on the S3 crack easily?

I thought the same going from the OG to the GNex. GNex felt flimsy, couple of weeks later it felt great. I did like the weight of my droid. Still on my dresser as a clock, I pick up now and then.

Sorry to be off topic.

Reaction score
1-Limitations, limitations, and more limitations on the software
2-Most of the apps that we on Android don't pay, ex. Angry Birds, are NOT free on the apple store
3-Smaller screen than most of Android phones
4-Non removable storage, YOU NEED MORE STORAGE? SORRY BUT YOU NEED TO BUY ANOTHER IPHONE!!...With Android you have the option of removable micro Sd card
5-Non Removable Battery
6-No google maps anymore..Everywhere in the news and on the net, apple maps is being critized for how inaccurate is.
7-You need itunes for media file transfer, with Android as simple as Drag and Drop.
8-No keyboard options like swype, swiftkey etc etc
9-No home screen customizations
10-With Android, YOU own your phone, with Iphone, APPLE owns you and controls the phone they way THEY think is good for you, (See example 1, Limitations...)
At this moment this is what I remember, I've had Windows phones, Blackberries, Iphones and Android, and I would NEVER buy an iphone for those reasons and more that I can't remember at this moment! (Did I forget to mention they are an evil company as well?) Good day!

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
Just get the iPhone, join the sheeple and enjoy handcuffs, and apples way because that's the only way an iPhone works.. I don't blame you for not wanting to pull the hammer on an Android device, it will be outdated in 3 months, but then again that's better than the iPhone 5,it was outdated 6 months before it came out...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I held the I5 and felt that the phone feels tiny.

As did I, and yeah, it felt small...it seemed too tall for how wide it was...which made it seem too narrow. Just odd.
I didn't like it.
I also didn't like iOS...I poked around and I was like, "What the hell...I can't do anything." Just a big list of icons to click on...no settings or customization options...nothing. A big grid of boring icons. Ugh. Why do people like that? It's horrible.

Oh, and if the OP desides to get an iPhone...make sure you get a case or bumper for it, because the black finish chips off. But it's ok, Apple says this is "Normal." Normal??? Good lord. :icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes:
Apple's Schiller: iPhone 5 Scratching, Chipping Is 'Normal' | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

OP
Monshroud

Monshroud

Reaction score
A strange amount of bile being thrown around all of a sudden. I love the people who call iPhone people sheep though, seeing as how more people use Android than IOS, and the sheep are usually the people following the majority. Just sayin'... I am trying to make an intelligent decision for myself, and the name calling and fanboyism doesn't help. There are good and bad things about Android, IOS, Windows, etc. . .

I finally got around to updating to IOS6 on my iPad and I must say that the new Maps app might be the deal breaker for me. I mapped a route from my house to my office and this is a pretty simple route, and it added an extra mile and 6 turns through a neighborhood for some odd reason. Still need to get my hands on a iPhone 5 to play with, but right now a D4 or S3 are looking like the better option.

Reaction score
S3 would be the better choice honestly, and I believe i see your point on apple fans being called isheeps, but the difference between an Android user and an iphone one, is that 90% of the android users KNOW what they're getting, specs, hardware, software etc etc, but If you ask an iphone owner probably 20% know what's up and the 80% left if you ask them "why did you get an iphone?" they won't have any idea and their regular answer is "Cause it's an Iphone", and THAT for me is a Zombie, or a sheep.

No disrespect for any iPhone user, life is about choices, but when the pen is blue, THE PEN IS BLUE. so there are obvious good and bad, wrong or right, and the fact are there, iPhone is about marketing, Android is as clear as you can get! No BS involved...

Xander Crews

Reaction score
A strange amount of bile being thrown around all of a sudden. I love the people who call iPhone people sheep though, seeing as how more people use Android than IOS, and the sheep are usually the people following the majority. Just sayin'... I am trying to make an intelligent decision for myself, and the name calling and fanboyism doesn't help. There are good and bad things about Android, IOS, Windows, etc. . .

I finally got around to updating to IOS6 on my iPad and I must say that the new Maps app might be the deal breaker for me. I mapped a route from my house to my office and this is a pretty simple route, and it added an extra mile and 6 turns through a neighborhood for some odd reason. Still need to get my hands on a iPhone 5 to play with, but right now a D4 or S3 are looking like the better option.
Well, I don't see it that way. To me, being called a sheep has nothing to do with market share, never has. It has everything to do with how far they take brand loyalty, the apologist attitude and the "apple can do no wrong" mindset. It has nothing to do with the number of users, even though the product may be popular.

Sent from my HTC Android Rezound using Forum Runner.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Wait for the new nexus devices. To me those are the best android devices out there.
If you want an iPhone, go for it. I might get one or a windows 8 phone.

OP
Monshroud

Monshroud

Reaction score
S3 would be the better choice honestly, and I believe i see your point on apple fans being called isheeps, but the difference between an Android user and an iphone one, is that 90% of the android users KNOW what they're getting, specs, hardware, software etc etc, but If you ask an iphone owner probably 20% know what's up and the 80% left if you ask them "why did you get an iphone?" they won't have any idea and their regular answer is "Cause it's an Iphone", and THAT for me is a Zombie, or a sheep.

No disrespect for any iPhone user, life is about choices, but when the pen is blue, THE PEN IS BLUE. so there are obvious good and bad, wrong or right, and the fact are there, iPhone is about marketing, Android is as clear as you can get! No BS involved...

Fair assessment of the iPhone folk. I would argue that no where near 90% of Android users know the actual specs of their phone. That may have been the case when we were in the Donut revisions, certainly not know. And let's be honest, for most people, they don't care that their phone has dual or quad core, 1 or 2GB of RAM. They care that Angry Birds or NFL.com works well on it, that Netflix looks good. I promise you if you ask people in some Best Buy or VZW store and ask them if they prefer a Snapdragon or Tegra processor, they will look at you with glazed over eyes.

Although what you said reminded me of a comic from WAY back about Apple and PC users:

Apple User: Hey I just got a new computer!
PC User: Really? Me too! Mine is a Pentium III running at 800Mhz with 1GB of RAM and 80GB of HDD Space.
PC User: What is your computer?
Apple User: Mine's Grape.

Although we are going a bit off topic now.. Sorry about that. Going to try and hit a VZW store again tonight and try to play with some devices.

OP
Monshroud

Monshroud

Reaction score
Wait for the new nexus devices. To me those are the best android devices out there.
If you want an iPhone, go for it. I might get one or a windows 8 phone.

Yeah, I know a lot of people really like those. Where I am personally torn is that I really love having a physical keyboard. I don't have huge fingers or anything, I just have never really felt comfortable typing a bunch on a phone sized touchscreen. I have heard from many folk that this is something that you adapt and get used to and then becomes quite easy. That is also why I am considering things like the Razr Maxx HD, the GS3 and also the iPhone 5. Is there a release date set for the new Nexus line?

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Yeah, I know a lot of people really like those. Where I am personally torn is that I really love having a physical keyboard. I don't have huge fingers or anything, I just have never really felt comfortable typing a bunch on a phone sized touchscreen. I have heard from many folk that this is something that you adapt and get used to and then becomes quite easy. That is also why I am considering things like the Razr Maxx HD, the GS3 and also the iPhone 5. Is there a release date set for the new Nexus line?

I was in the exact same spot as you are in. Before i HAD to have a physical keyboard, but then when i tried out a galaxy nexus i loved it. But the best thing to do is to see how the phone feels in your hands, how you feel about typing on the screen.

There is no release date for the new nexus line of devices. But they usually come out in november. Sony, Lg, Samsung and Htc are rumored to be making the nexus devices

OP
Monshroud

Monshroud

Reaction score
I was in the exact same spot as you are in. Before i HAD to have a physical keyboard, but then when i tried out a galaxy nexus i loved it. But the best thing to do is to see how the phone feels in your hands, how you feel about typing on the screen.

There is no release date for the new nexus line of devices. But they usually come out in november. Sony, Lg, Samsung and Htc are rumored to be making the nexus devices

I was just talking with my wife about this over lunch and she agrees with this. I am itching for a new phone, but waiting a couple of months to see what new stuff is announced for the holiday season might be the best course of action. I mean, I don't need a new phone, I just WANT a new phone.

Xander Crews

Reaction score

Same here.
I originally had a G1 and then a D2 and loved the physical keyboard. I thought I'd always have one and made that known to people.
That is, of course, until I got my D2 wet, and it started malfunctioning. (well, the wife got it wet...I had left it on the windowsill on our porch while I played with my daughter in her pool, and my wife started spraying off the windows with the hose, and it got soaked.)

So back in June I did some mondo research and I considered a few different phones, including the D4 (because of the keyboard)...but I ended up going with the Rezound because of the camera, the excellent screen, removable battery which allows for an extended battery to be used, the price ($80 on sale at the time). The overall specs were just excellent (I had wondered why I hadn't really heard of this phone before)...so I grudgingly gave up the physical keyboard.

And now? I don't miss the slide out keyboard one bit. The Rezound is an excellent phone. The on screen keyboard only takes a couple days of getting used to. I actually quite like it.
I wouldn't be against going back to a physical keyboard in the future, but now I know I'm perfectly happy with either.

My opinion... get the phone that you like best (best specs, best feel in your hand, price, etc) and don't let the lack of a physical keyboard scare you off.