I am wanting to go to the iPhone more an more...

sranger

Reaction score
I am getting more and more disappointed with the Android experience. The latest Froyo ROMs introduced a couple of bugs that are really annoying me lately:

1) Streaming on Pandora on 3G sux... ( Yes I have a ROM, SS 4.8, with the supposed Google patch and it does not solve the issue... ) My friend has an iPhone 4 and an iPad with 3G. Both sound significantly better streaming over 3G than my Droid does....( It sounds great if I put an Android 2.1 ROM on the phone )

2) I used to be able to connect with my companies infrastructure Wifi with 2.1. I WILL NOT work with Froyo... My friends iPhone 3G and 4 connect just fine. This cause the battery to drain quickly as the phone struggles to connect to 3G in my office building.

3) For some reason when I lay my phone flat the touch screen acts weird. It works fine as long as it is not flat. The touch screen on the iPhone has always been better than the droid, but this new twist is annoying...

Furthermore, it seems like every new app that I want is iPhone/iPad/iPod only.

1) In the last few years, I bought most of the magazine subscriptions through Zinio. They have a great iPhone/iPad app, but none for Android. It will not be on Android anytime soon.

2) Netfix works great on the iPhone 4 and the iPad. It does not look like we will see it anytime soon on Android.

*** Added ***

3) I forgot about the U-Verse app. I have U-Verse ( maine for the 24 down /2 up Mip service ) The new app let you add/change recordings and view recorded apps on your iPhone when on Wifi.... Kind of like a slingbox...

And finally there is the ease of purchasing and syncing movies/TV Shows with the iTune store. You buy it, it downloads to your computer and iTunes converts it and copies it to your phone. No DRM problems to deal with and it is completely legal. There is NO easy way to do this with Android. ( and yes I know how to do it, it is just a lot more annoying )

I guess Apple just commands more respect from developers and service providers. Maybe Apple bullies them into not releasing a similar Android App, who knows. However, The Android apps are always an after thought and usually a year behind if they ever come out....

I know that there are some advantages to open OS on the Android phones ( Why I bought it to start with ). But even this seem to be going away. Each new Android phone is locked down tighter than the previous one by teh manufacturer. Verizon seem to be on a mission to get rid of free Google services and replacing them with their VCrap stuff...

I am not quite there yet, but I just keep thinking that I would prefer an iPhone. All it would take is a few more major bugs and not have a few more good apps to make me break my contract and move to AT&T and the iPhone....

Last edited:

warrior21

Reaction score
I agree with manilaboy, you have to get what works best for you. I personally would never go back to At&t no matter what phone they offer but that's just my opinion.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am getting more and more disappointed with the Android experience. The latest Froyo ROMs introduced a couple of bugs that are really annoying me lately:

1) Streaming on Pandora on 3G sux... ( Yes I have a ROM, SS 4.8, with the supposed Google patch and it does not solve the issue... ) My friend has an iPhone 4 and an iPad with 3G. Both sound significantly better streaming over 3G than my Droid does....( It sounds great if I put an Android 2.1 ROM on the phone )

2) I used to be able to connect with my companies infrastructure Wifi with 2.1. I WILL NOT work with Froyo... My friends iPhone 3G and 4 connect just fine. This cause the battery to drain quickly as the phone struggles to connect to 3G in my office building.

3) For some reason when I lay my phone flat the touch screen acts weird. It works fine as long as it is not flat. The touch screen on the iPhone has always been better than the droid, but this new twist is annoying...

1) In the last few years, I bought most of the magazine subscriptions through Zinio. They have a great iPhone/iPad app, but none for Android. It will not be on Android anytime soon.

2) Netfix works great on the iPhone 4 and the iPad. It does not look like we will see it anytime soon on Android.

And finally there is the ease of purchasing and syncing movies/TV Shows with the iTune store. You buy it, it downloads to your computer and iTunes converts it and copies it to your phone. No DRM problems to deal with and it is completely legal. There is NO easy way to do this with Android. ( and yes I know how to do it, it is just a lot more annoying )

I guess Apple just commands more respect from developers and service providers. Maybe Apple bullies them into not releasing a similar Android App, who knows. However, The Android apps are always an after thought and usually a year behind if they ever come out....

I know that there are some advantages to open OS on the Android phones ( Why I bought it to start with ). But even this seem to be going away. Each new Android phone is locked down tighter than the previous one by teh manufacturer. Verizon seem to be on a mission to get rid of free Google services and replacing them with their VCrap stuff...

I am not quite there yet, but I just keep thinking that I would prefer an iPhone. All it would take is a few more major bugs and not have a few more good apps to make me break my contract and move to AT&T and the iPhone....

Good luck to you. If that's what you want, go for it.

OP
S

sranger

Reaction score
I agree with manilaboy, you have to get what works best for you. I personally would never go back to At&t no matter what phone they offer but that's just my opinion.

AT&T is the main reason why I don't have an iPhone now.....

I do not think Verizon will get an iPhone any time soon..... Maybe 2012 or 2013 after LTE is working and across most of the network.....

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sranger, I left VZW to get an iPhone. I had it for seven months. I dropped more calls in seven months than I did in the previous eight years that I had VZW. The iPhone is nice because of it's user interface.

When I first got my Droid I was not sure I made a good decision. It took me two or three days to get use to Android. Now, I would not consider an iPhone.

Let us know if you make the switch and how you like the iPhone.

Mike

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score

AT&T is the main reason why I don't have an iPhone now.....

I do not think Verizon will get an iPhone any time soon..... Maybe 2012 or 2013 after LTE is working and across most of the network.....

Verizon seems to agree with you, but others disagree.

Technolog - Despite Verizon denials, CDMA iPhone reports linger

BlueSami

Reaction score

*** Added ***

3) I forgot about the U-Verse app. I have U-Verse ( maine for the 24 down /2 up Mip service ) The new app let you add/change recordings and view recorded apps on your iPhone when on Wifi.... Kind of like a slingbox...

See ya later DOG!!
don't let the door it you on the way out!!! lol:icon_ banana:

GahhItsLee

Reaction score
I would kill to have an iphone but i also love verizon more the iphone... If you can deal with AT&T then switch over i dont think anyone will ever argue that the iphone really is just soo nice

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I have both an iPhone and a Droid and I can't stand the iPhone interface, having to setup it up with a computer, hate iTunes and basically the overall iPhone experience.

Work pays for me to carry the iPhone....otherwise I would distance myself far from it.

I still can't understand why so many think the iPhone interface is so great...to each his own but I can't stand it.

ryguy5254

Reaction score
Are we supposed to say "no please don't leave us, yada yada yada".

You can do whatever you want, personally, I don't have an issue with Verizon's service. If you want constant dropped calls, go ahead, switch.

I have the best of both worlds, I have a Droid X with 2.2/flash. And I have a 4th Gen iPod touch.

OP
S

sranger

Reaction score
Are we supposed to say "no please don't leave us, yada yada yada".

You can do whatever you want, personally, I don't have an issue with Verizon's service. If you want constant dropped calls, go ahead, switch.

I have the best of both worlds, I have a Droid X with 2.2/flash. And I have a 4th Gen iPod touch.

I am just frustrated with the annoying bugs that came to Android lately and the fact the Android does get some of the more desirable apps that the iPhone gets....

I know no one cares what I do.... I was wondering if others felt the same way...

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
I know no one cares what I do.... I was wondering if others felt the same way...

The only reason I got the Droid X was because I'd have to travel 30 miles to get reliable 3G coverage from AT&T. After three days I was wondering if 3G coverage was all that important. After three weeks I was mostly adjusted. I'd have still jump ship if I could get 3G locally on an iPhone and someone else would pay the huge fee to dump my contract.

Almost three months and the Froyo update later, its a toss up. I've become somewhat addicted to the widget thing. The UI has improved and I'm almost used to it's remaining quirks. Short of someone giving me an iPhone, paying my contract severance fee, and 3G becoming available I'll stick with my DX. I'd probably buy one of the new Android tablets coming out so I could keep an eye on the OS.

For what I want to do I dont' think either OS has a clear advantage right now. Android is more flexible and quickly changing, which also means more trouble to set up and full of minor annoyances. iOS is stable and well thought out, which also means slow to add new features and limited customization.

Being a bit greedy I want all the advantages and none of the disappointments. And being a realist I know that I'll never get it. Somethings are just mutually exclusive.

The limited number of apps for my Droid doesn't bother me too much. It keeps me in touch in multiple ways and gives me some useful reference and search tools. That's all I demand of my phone apps. Everything else is gravy.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Yeah go to an iPhone and within a year see how bogged down it gets with the "updates". Sure they might fix some of the problems but once a new phone comes out your pretty much SOL as your phone is now an after thought.

Android phones, on the other hand, are supported forever and can be updated without problems to infinity and beyond. Oh, wait, never mind.

I expect to be looking for a new phone when my contract is up. By then it will be bogged down with updates and nothing more than an after thought to the carriers and manufacturers. That is simply a fact of the fast moving mobil phone market. Two years is a long time.

The current Apple after though is the 3G, and it is more than two years old. These people are in exactly the same boat as those who bought the first generation of Android phones.