Jailbroken Iphone 4 vs Rooted andorid

Status
Not open for further replies.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
My suggestion is if u want it buy it uoir not going to get any of the morons in here to give u a positive answer. I had every model iphone and recently went to verizon just cause I wanted to see if the grass was greener on the other side and trust me its the same shade of green
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

it's the same shade of green and both sides have the annoying neighbors who swear their lawn looks better...

B

bigsapz

Even if he Googles "open source" the first definition of the phrase shows him to be wrong.

He thinks Android is closed because they don't follow the same process as Linux and Firefox.

Whatever. Czerdill has demonstrated the following... He ignores actual definitions of words and substitutes his own. He pretends that an entire website made by Google to allow community contributions to Android source code doesn't exist. And, then falls back to unrelated discussions to prove himself right in a totally different matter.

Not only that he brings up a discussion about speculating on the iPhone as proof that I'm wrong about this! Hey. I admitted I was wrong as far as the VZW iPhone went. So what.

But to say that Android is the opposite of "open source" is just plain foolish. I'm not hijacking the thread any longer.

He's just trying to get a rise out of you. You don't need to prove anything to him bro. A 3 yr old girl can google something and hide behind a pc screen pretending they are an expert. We all know Open Source is superior in more then one way. The iphone is just stuck too far up his fagina. Ignore him and eventually he'll go back to cleaning our schools toilets.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Even if he Googles "open source" the first definition of the phrase shows him to be wrong.

He thinks Android is closed because they don't follow the same process as Linux and Firefox.

Whatever. Czerdill has demonstrated the following... He ignores actual definitions of words and substitutes his own. He pretends that an entire website made by Google to allow community contributions to Android source code doesn't exist. And, then falls back to unrelated discussions to prove himself right in a totally different matter.

Not only that he brings up a discussion about speculating on the iPhone as proof that I'm wrong about this! Hey. I admitted I was wrong as far as the VZW iPhone went. So what.

But to say that Android is the opposite of "open source" is just plain foolish. I'm not hijacking the thread any longer.

He's just trying to get a rise out of you. You don't need to prove anything to him bro. A 3 yr old girl can google something and hide behind a pc screen pretending they are an expert. We all know Open Source is superior in more then one way. The iphone is just stuck too far up his fagina. Ignore him and eventually he'll go back to cleaning our schools toilets.

ok, sport. that's enough...you don't have to try to convince me that you're not mad...

cpjr

Reaction score
Wow....people calm down. Its a cell phone.

The FACT is...android or iphone, you are getting a fantastic device. Which is better, neither...it ALL depends on the user.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow....people calm down. Its a cell phone.

The FACT is...android or iphone, you are getting a fantastic device. Which is better, neither...it ALL depends on the user.

this should be obvious to everyone...except 12 year old android fanboys...

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Here's what I want to do with my device, you tell me if a jailbroken Iphone can do it:

1. Check my gmail with an app, not the website.
2. Have a widget for my google calendar.
3. Allow wireless tethering without being charged.
4. Backup/restore all Jailbreak apps without Itunes
5. Drag and drop Mp3's and MP4's without Itunes.
6. Backup/restore enitire phone without Itunes.
7. Open mp3's that are emailed to me.

Lets get this damn thread back on topic ok!

Those are pretty specific questions... I know you can drag and drop MP3s, and you can wirelessly tether.

Total backup and restoration like Nandroid on iPhone? Nope, I don't think that's possible.

You can set up a Gmail IMAP mailbox directlyt on the iPhone which would eliminate the need to go to the Gmail website.

The rest are really specific and I think asking the iPhone jailbreak community will give you far more precise answers than on a Droid forum. What I do know is that making all of that happen will take a lot of work and app hunting.

Last edited:
OP
T

tsitalon1

Reaction score
Posted the same set of questions over on the macforums site...

Get back on topic and take a look:

Jailbroken Iphone 4 vs rooted Android - MacRumors Forums

and would you look at that, no "android sucks!!!' iphone fanboys there. that community seems far more mature than this one i'd think.

and glad you got your questions answered, man

Yeah, there response was very mature.

I'll post their responses here for those that care.

8. Customize my Wallpaper/icons/theme apps.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. MyWi ($20) native tethering is coming to iOS 4.3 but most likely will be a monthly charge
4. PkgBackup or AptBackup I believe Cydia now allows you to back up within the app
5. I think so, not sure.
6. Not sure WiFi synch should allow you to back up, however restore? I'm not sure
7. Pretty sure
8. Definitely

Anyone have more firm answers on 5-8?

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL

PkgBackup or AptBackup both restore your iPhone apps but not anything else. If you use your iPhone as a personal storage device for anything else your file data will be lost if you have to restore. I think I mentioned earlier that anything file related that isn't an app, music, photo, etc. will be lost.

UNC

Reaction score
A rooted android can be anything you want it to be. You see that people are booting android on iPhone but you don't see anyone like man I wish I could boot ios.... hmmm

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Dude, you are WAY off here... the reason Android will run on iPhone is because Android is basically Java running on a virtual machine that is running on linux. iOS is a FULL OS that runs NATIVE CODE, so you can't run it through a linux-based VM.

That is also the reason why apps are always better on iOS with less specs... SF4 on iPhone 3gs destroys EVERY game on Android.

Don't believe me? Go install Windows XP on VM on a i7, then install it on a Pentium 4 PC... the XP that is installed on a Pentium 4 device will run better.

Native code FTW. If you don't understand what I'm saying, then please by all means, continue to bash iOS....

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

and would you look at that, no "android sucks!!!' iphone fanboys there. that community seems far more mature than this one i'd think.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. MyWi ($20) native tethering is coming to iOS 4.3 but most likely will be a monthly charge
4. PkgBackup or AptBackup I believe Cydia now allows you to back up within the app
5. I think so, not sure.
6. Not sure WiFi synch should allow you to back up, however restore? I'm not sure
7. Pretty sure
8. Definitely

as an aside, i believe PDANet would allow free wireless tethering just like it does for Droids once you jailbreak. That's if you didn't want to get charged. Again it would be a violation of the TOS though.

5, I'd say for sure. iPods let you mount the device as a disk drive and I've dragged mp3s in there I'm sure

6 I don't know much about that

7 I've gotta imagine that yes you should be able to open mp3s

8 and yes absolutely. I posted a link to a "post your homescreen" from the MacRumors forum in this thread. You can change everything you want, just like you can on your Droid once your jailbroken.

B

bigsapz

Here's what I want to do with my device, you tell me if a jailbroken Iphone can do it:

Lets get this damn thread back on topic ok!

Those are pretty specific questions... I know you can drag and drop MP3s, and you can wirelessly tether.

Total backup and restoration like Nandroid on iPhone? Nope, I don't think that's possible.

You can set up a Gmail IMAP mailbox directlyt on the iPhone which would eliminate the need to go to the Gmail website.

The rest are really specific and I think asking the iPhone jailbreak community will give you far more precise answers than on a Droid forum. What I do know is that making all of that happen will take a lot of work and app hunting.

Agreed. I've yet to see a backup app for the iphone that even comes close in capabilities to Titanium for android. That's a deal breaker itself in my eyes. I have seen the HTC incredible ROM on an iphone 3g so im sure widgets are supported. Basically an iphone has to be JB to even come close to a std droid when it comes to customizing.

Mp3 even with itunes is pretty straight fwd. Shouldn't b a prob.

OP
T

tsitalon1

Reaction score

1. Yes
2. Yes
5. I think so, not sure.
7. Pretty sure
8. Definitely

as an aside, i believe PDANet would allow free wireless tethering just like it does for Droids once you jailbreak. That's if you didn't want to get charged. Again it would be a violation of the TOS though.

5, I'd say for sure. iPods let you mount the device as a disk drive and I've dragged mp3s in there I'm sure

6 I don't know much about that

7 I've gotta imagine that yes you should be able to open mp3s

8 and yes absolutely. I posted a link to a "post your homescreen" from the MacRumors forum in this thread. You can change everything you want, just like you can on your Droid once your jailbroken.

Ok, here's what I got so far:

1. Yes
2. Yes
5. I think so, not sure. YES see --> DiskAid transfers Files to iPhone, iPad & iPod touch, USB External Drive
7. Pretty sure
8. Definitely

So it looks like the only real thing in the air is backing up/restoring the jailbreak apps and backing up/restoring the entire phone.

B

bigsapz

So it looks like the only real thing in the air is backing up/restoring the jailbreak apps and backing up/restoring the entire phone.

That's a pretty big deal. Your gonna b up a creek wit out a paddle when your iphone freezes...

Status
Not open for further replies.