Jailbroken Iphone 4 vs Rooted andorid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan m

Reaction score
Btw not bashing iPhone the iPhone is a great device as I said in an earlier post they are both great de however IMO more is capable with android than ios bash android all you want that's what apple fanboys do btw need I remind you this is Droid forum not iPhone forum you like iPhone good for you. you are entitled to your openion so have fun with that

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

B

bigsapz

A rooted android can be anything you want it to be. You see that people are booting android on iPhone but you don't see anyone like man I wish I could boot ios.... hmmm

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Dude, you are WAY off here... the reason Android will run on iPhone is because Android is basically Java running on a virtual machine that is running on linux. iOS is a FULL OS that runs NATIVE CODE, so you can't run it through a linux-based VM.

That is also the reason why apps are always better on iOS with less specs... SF4 on iPhone 3gs destroys EVERY game on Android.

Don't believe me? Go install Windows XP on VM on a i7, then install it on a Pentium 4 PC... the XP that is installed on a Pentium 4 device will run better.

Native code FTW. If you don't understand what I'm saying, then please by all means, continue to bash iOS....

I have to agree with you on this. The apps like Facebook, espn and def games are unparall to any other phone. Mac has ALWAYS held it down in graphics.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there response was very mature.

I'll post their responses here for those that care.

1. Check my gmail with an app, not the website.
2. Have a widget for my google calendar.
3. Allow wireless tethering without being charged.
4. Backup/restore all Jailbreak apps without Itunes
5. Drag and drop Mp3's and MP4's without Itunes.
6. Backup/restore enitire phone without Itunes.
7. Open mp3's that are emailed to me.
8. Customize my Wallpaper/icons/theme apps.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. MyWi ($20) native tethering is coming to iOS 4.3 but most likely will be a monthly charge
4. PkgBackup or AptBackup I believe Cydia now allows you to back up within the app
5. I think so, not sure.
6. Not sure WiFi synch should allow you to back up, however restore? I'm not sure
7. Pretty sure
8. Definitely

Anyone have more firm answers on 5-8?

as an aside, i believe PDANet would allow free wireless tethering just like it does for Droids once you jailbreak. That's if you didn't want to get charged. Again it would be a violation of the TOS though.

5, I'd say for sure. iPods let you mount the device as a disk drive and I've dragged mp3s in there I'm sure

6 I don't know much about that

7 I've gotta imagine that yes you should be able to open mp3s

8 and yes absolutely. I posted a link to a "post your homescreen" from the MacRumors forum in this thread. You can change everything you want, just like you can on your Droid once your jailbroken.

Ok, here's what I got so far:

1. Check my gmail with an app, not the website.
2. Have a widget for my google calendar.
3. Allow wireless tethering without being charged.
4. Backup/restore all Jailbreak apps without Itunes
5. Drag and drop Mp3's and MP4's without Itunes.
6. Backup/restore enitire phone without Itunes.
7. Open mp3's that are emailed to me.
8. Customize my Wallpaper/icons/theme apps.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. MyWi ($20) native tethering is coming to iOS 4.3 but most likely will be a monthly charge
4. PkgBackup or AptBackup I believe Cydia now allows you to back up within the app
5. I think so, not sure. YES see --> DiskAid transfers Files to iPhone, iPad & iPod touch, USB External Drive
6. Not sure WiFi synch should allow you to back up, however restore? I'm not sure
7. Pretty sure
8. Definitely

So it looks like the only real thing in the air is backing up/restoring the jailbreak apps and backing up/restoring the entire phone.

is there a reason you don't want to use itunes? itunes won't be able to tell if you're using a jailbroken phone (as far as i know)...the only thing is if you update your itunes you'll lose your jailbreak, but if you don't update it you should be able to use itunes as normal and that includes backing up and restoring...

Last edited:

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
Czerdrill, you haven't exactly been the mature forum member either. A quality shared by "mature" people is knowing when to not say something. People get passionate over their toys. This has been and will always be the case. And this needs to go both ways. If somebody says "a droid blows the iPhone out of the water" or "droid is better" without giving any Examples...this seems no different than having to listen to countless "it just works" responses. Either way, it is NOT worth two pages of bickering over.

A quick question though, are you implying Czerdrill that Apple users are more mature than Android users? That was a rather vague post and seemed to be a backhanded insult. Either way again, i must thank you for breaking up the monotony with that. Comparing two communities based on one thread should be criminal. You cannot draw any meaningul conclusions from that. I don't place any value on who you are as a person based on what phone or OS or gaming platform you prefer so there is no need to continously compare sizes. And that goes for everybody and not to anybody in particular.

Personally it would drive me crazy with not being able to male FULL backups of ALL my apps and dara. It's insulting for any company to approve or disapprove of what files I have on the phone that I own.

Besides that it seems like a jailbroke iPhone could meet most of my requirements as a smartphone. I hate that there is no removable storage and asan enthusiast, I enjoy mucking around with the hardware. There is no need to overclock my Droid as well but an extra performance boost will NEVER be a bad thing. The attitude of "my iPhone performs just fine, I don't need performance enhancements" is bizarre for me to comprehend. I've heard this from the iPhone 3 as well. I think maybe Apple started with this? I might be wrong but it seems like Apple has been telling it's users that as a way to pacify people from not being able to upgrade their hardware any faster than waiting for a new iPhone to be released, If this was truly the case, why would Apple even bother creating an iPhone 5 in the first place if performance wasn't an issue and that "everything just works".

I guess that illustrates another issue I have with the iPhone, I do not agree with their marketing strategies and just to be blunt, there is something in my gut telling me something isn't right with Apple and I trust my instincts. That"s ok though because nobody is forcing me into using any particular phone.

I just don't see anything compelling enough to switch back to an iPhone as of now. That may change in the future though, we'll see.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Czerdrill, you haven't exactly been the mature forum member either. A quality shared by "mature" people is knowing when to not say something. People get passionate over their toys. This has been and will always be the case. And this needs to go both ways. If somebody says "a droid blows the iPhone out of the water" or "droid is better" without giving any Examples...this seems no different than having to listen to countless "it just works" responses. Either way, it is NOT worth two pages of bickering over.

A quick question though, are you implying Czerdrill that Apple users are more mature than Android users? That was a rather vague post and seemed to be a backhanded insult. Either way again, i must thank you for breaking up the monotony with that. Comparing two communities based on one thread should be criminal. You cannot draw any meaningul conclusions from that. I don't place any value on who you are as a person based on what phone or OS or gaming platform you prefer so there is no need to continously compare sizes. And that goes for everybody and not to anybody in particular.

Personally it would drive me crazy with not being able to male FULL backups of ALL my apps and dara. It's insulting for any company to approve or disapprove of what files I have on the phone that I own.

Besides that it seems like a jailbroke iPhone could meet most of my requirements as a smartphone. I hate that there is no removable storage and asan enthusiast, I enjoy mucking around with the hardware. There is no need to overclock my Droid as well but an extra performance boost will NEVER be a bad thing. The attitude of "my iPhone performs just fine, I don't need performance enhancements" is bizarre for me to comprehend. I've heard this from the iPhone 3 as well. I think maybe Apple started with this? I might be wrong but it seems like Apple has been telling it's users that as a way to pacify people from not being able to upgrade their hardware any faster than waiting for a new iPhone to be released, If this was truly the case, why would Apple even bother creating an iPhone 5 in the first place if performance wasn't an issue and that "everything just works".

I guess that illustrates another issue I have with the iPhone, I do not agree with their marketing strategies and just to be blunt, there is something in my gut telling me something isn't right with Apple and I trust my instincts. That"s ok though because nobody is forcing me into using any particular phone.

I just don't see anything compelling enough to switch back to an iPhone as of now. That may change in the future though, we'll see.

my first post in this thread stated that you can do with a jailbroken iphone what you can do with a rooted droid. that's when the fanboys came out of the woodwork. if i get insulted, i insult back.

and yes. the apple community is FAR more mature then this one. if you take that as an insult, so be it. I'm a part of this community, and I try to help whoever I can with their android problems, I've created and released themes, I've written tutorials about theming, using the emulator, adb, editing xmls, everything. If I don't blindly agree with "Android is AMAZING!" and people attack me, I'm not going to cower in a corner.

removable storage is a moot point. i dont know of any phone that can accept a card higher than 32gb, in fact i dont know of a card higher than 32gb. so...you have the same amount of max storage in an iphone that you do in an android. unless you're saying you want the capability to lower your storage? ok...i guess.

secondly when i speak of performance enhancements i'm talking about in comparison to droid. you say your droid performs fine, ok, i obviously can't argue with that. I have a D1. I love my D1. Everyday I'll learn something new about it. But if I wasn't able to root and overclock it I would throw it against a wall. I could not fathom going back to stock speed, no chance in hell. What I'm saying the iPhone doesn't require you to overclock it in order for it to perform smoothly. I've seen the D2, the X and the Incredible and they all lag horribly at some point. I've never once seen an iPhone lag. That's all I mean. I'm not making a blanket assumption that no iPhone lags, I'm simply saying I've never seen it, and I've sure as hell seen plenty of lag on android phones (who have way better technical specs than the iPhone)

Why would Apple create an iPhone 5? Is that a real question? Because technology progresses and so will the iPhone. Two years from now the iPhone4 will still be receiving updates, whereas the D1 will have to rely solely on custom ROMs, and the X will probably be stuck on Gingerbread still. Just because it "works" out of the box, doesn't mean there is no way it can't add new tech. Again...was that a real question? Why wouldn't they release an iPhone 5 or 6 or 20?

illmatic636

Reaction score
I see a lot of Android Fans listing everything they like about the OS, yet Apple fans are not coming up with a list......

I would like to see a list of things that the IPhone can do, that the droid can't.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
I mentioned the question of releasing the iPhone 5 because I've heard several times that there is no need to overclock an iPhone. To OC enthusiasts there.is AlWAYS a good reason to overclock as gaining a performance gain is always welcome. I guess it was a very hypothetical question meaning that if no one seems to appreciate or think that overclocking would make a difference then why would Apple have any incentive to release anything with improved hardware specs. Take it as more of a lighthearted questioning of why overclocking an iPhone isn't a good thing, and I understand what you are talking about after reading what you just said.

And removable storage would make all the difference to me. It's not about the extra storage but having to do with having my data seperate from the phone. If I am losing my jailbreaked data on updates then being able to save my data somewhere where iOS won't format is a good thing.

I will take what you say about the maturity levels with a grain of salt and respect your opinion :)

Last edited:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
J mentioned the question of releasing an iPhone 5 because I've heard several times that there is no need to overclock an iPhone. To OC enthusiasts there.is AlWAYS a good reason to overclock as gaining a performance gain is always welcome. I guess it was a very hypothetical question meaning that if no one seems to appreciate or think that overclocking would make a difference then why would Apple have any incentive to release anything with improved hardware specs. Take it as more of a lighthearted questioning of why overclocking an iPhone isn't a good thing.

And removable storage would make all the difference to me. It's not about the extra storage but having to do with having my data seperate from the phone. If I am losing my jailbreaked data on updates then being able to save my data somewhere where iOS won't format is a good thing.

I will take what you say about the maturity levels with a grain of salt and respect your opinion :)

All fair points.

OP
T

tsitalon1

Reaction score
I agree with some of this as well. In fact my my motivation for even thinking about switching to the iphone is because of the semi random lag. If anyone tells you that their rom or android device doesn't lag at all, anytime, is probably lying.

I have tried almost every rom, and yes I wiped before trying them. Every one of the roms I have tried, even the stocker sometimes lags, sometimes for a few seconds at a time. It's very annoying because it always happens when your in a hurry.

Back on topic, I forgot to add another item to the list of qustions I had.

Doesn't google offer their turn by turn NAV for the iphone as well?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree with some of this as well. In fact my my motivation for even thinking about switching to the iphone is because of the semi random lag. If anyone tells you that their rom or android device doesn't lag at all, anytime, is probably lying.

I have tried almost every rom, and yes I wiped before trying them. Every one of the roms I have tried, even the stocker sometimes lags, sometimes for a few seconds at a time. It's very annoying because it always happens when your in a hurry.

Back on topic, I forgot to add another item to the list of qustions I had.

Doesn't google offer their turn by turn NAV for the iphone as well?

Yes, the lag is unbearable at times, and it's not just with the D1. I've seen the X lag plenty.

and no. If anything you can say that android undoubtedly trumps ios it would be the free turn by turn directions. iPhone does have a navigation app i believe for $30 one time fee though.

EDIT: There are a couple of navi apps for the iphone and differnt prices...no Google Navigation though AFAIK

B

bigsapz

I have a D1. I love my D1. Everyday I'll learn something new about it. But if I wasn't able to root and overclock it I would throw it against a wall. I could not fathom going back to stock speed, no chance in hell.
LOL! That was pretty funny. I couldn't fathom stock either for my incredible. It was never slow nor did it lag once, it was just plain and boring.

I've seen the D2, the X and the Incredible and they all lag horribly at some point. I've never once seen an iPhone lag. That's all I mean. I'm not making a blanket assumption
It's a blanket statement, and a BOLD one at that. Post this statement bout no lag on an iphone on any iphone forum. See what they say. My iphone would lag like crazy. Esp once I jailbroke it. One of the main reasons I went to an incredible. Nevr lags or slow. The lag u exp was most likely user error.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a D1. I love my D1. Everyday I'll learn something new about it. But if I wasn't able to root and overclock it I would throw it against a wall. I could not fathom going back to stock speed, no chance in hell.
LOL! That was pretty funny. I couldn't fathom stock either for my incredible. It was never slow nor did it lag once, it was just plain and boring.

I've seen the D2, the X and the Incredible and they all lag horribly at some point. I've never once seen an iPhone lag. That's all I mean. I'm not making a blanket assumption
It's a blanket statement, and a BOLD one at that. Post this statement bout no lag on an iphone on any iphone forum. See what they say. My iphone would lag like crazy. Esp once I jailbroke it. One of the main reasons I went to an incredible. Nevr lags or slow. The lag u exp was most likely user error.

lol no. lag on android devices is something that is clearly there. like the OP said, people who deny this are lying and I have zero reason to believe that you're not lying given the foolish things you've already said in this thread (fangina, idiot, go to sleep, scrub toilets, owned, witts, and other 8 year old type statements)

B

bigsapz

You keep trying to make me mad and ill keep puttin u in your place all day. Just like your daddy used to...

Status
Not open for further replies.