Hands-on Video Follow-up for the HTC Thunderbolt

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;1700JYgFPLU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1700JYgFPLU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Here is the first of some hands-on video follow-ups for several Verizon phones we've talked about previously. This first video is for the HTC Thunderbolt. This video goes by rather quick, but shows off some of the HTC Thunderbolt's slickest features. What do you guys think of this one? Fan, flop, or just a good solid workhorse?

Source: Phandroid
by dgstorm

soulpatch

Reaction score
Should be a flop as it is already old technology. It is just a rehash of the Evo and compared ot the current line up of phones from LG, Samsung, and Motorola this is well behind the ball.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If I do pull the trigger, probably the Bionic. I really don't know why anyone would want the Thunderbolt unless it's priced at a deep discount to the dual cores.

That said, it's still plenty powerful for probably 80% of users. But when you see the superiority of the dual core when it comes to browsing and streaming video it's a no-brainer for anyone with a few extra bucks.

Modwild

Reaction score
Are there no phones with physical keyboards showcased at CES? I thought other versions of Thunderbolt had them. Sadness.

Jmart922

Reaction score
^^^ wow people are basing the success off a phone strictly by specs, if thats how things really worked then the Nintendo wii would of been shot down before it even launched but here we are today and its the top selling or most sold console out, the thunderbolt will succeed with well marketing and support from Verizon and HTC, people love the EVo and a modified version with Verizon's LTE and the new sense along with a 32 gig SD card is sure enough to win many people over, just because s device doesn't have out of this world power doesnt automatically classify it as a flop, I think its going to do very well

soulpatch

Reaction score
^^^ wow people are basing the success off a phone strictly by specs, if thats how things really worked then the Nintendo wii would of been shot down before it even launched but here we are today and its the top selling or most sold console out, the thunderbolt will succeed with well marketing and support from Verizon and HTC, people love the EVo and a modified version with Verizon's LTE and the new sense along with a 32 gig SD card is sure enough to win many people over, just because s device doesn't have out of this world power doesnt automatically classify it as a flop, I think its going to do very well

nintendo is great selling since it is marketed to children mainly with the game lineups and its game play at the time. Kinect and Sony Move are now flying off the shelves as better options.

So using your example the thunderbolt is the continuation of the EVO (nintendo) where as the new phones are the Kinect and move which are the hot items flying off the shelves. The Wii sales have declined in recent months due to this as well.

Will people buy this phone? Sure. But those of us on this site I imagine are more or less looking for the best phone with the best specs and thus will more then likely wait the extra month or so to get somethign like the Bionic.

soulpatch

Reaction score
Are there no phones with physical keyboards showcased at CES? I thought other versions of Thunderbolt had them. Sadness.

I had these same concerns going from the Droid to the Droid X but honestly I have never missed the keyboard since losing it especially since I have Swype. The interfaces on the screen for gaming is a lot better and the touch keyboards work better and better with each iteration.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

This is all true, but if you watch that Optimus 2X video the browser rendering destroyed the IPhone 4G (i.e. dual core will destroy pretty much any single core phone). It's kind of a pet peeve of mine to see web page with a big blank box with the down arrow. I think this is a huge selling point for dual core.

Anyone who does a comparison in the store - and most people actually do comparison shop - you're going to pick the Bionic, unless price changes the value dynamic.