Short Hands-on with Motorola RAZR (2011) and its water-resistant coating + New Teaser

Kag Pirate

Reaction score
While yes, Kevlar is used in both this phone and in bullet proof vests, I would be willing to be bet that not only will this phone not stop a bullet, but you could snap the backing in half with your bare hands (except for the fact that the backing doesn't come off because it has a non-removable battery). Doing a couple years worth of work with composites (Kevlar, Carbon Fiber, fiber glass) in school, I can confidnetly say that the use of Kevlar in this phone is nothing more than a PR pitching point and an aesthetic design feature.

I agree, plus a bullet (proof *) vest uses matted layers of woven Kevlar that do bend when struck by a bullet. The Kevlar is really only as strong in woven layers of opposite directions. With that said, the Razr backing more then likely has a resin mix. That mix along with the fiber makes it stronger in pulling but as Truss said more then likely will snap. The use of Kevlar could have been used to make smaller / thin parts not only lighter but strong enough.

* Stander Bullet Proof vest cannot stop rifle rounds. The .22 round depends on vest and closeness when fired. I do have first hand on testing and seeing the aftermath of tests.

Why I said all this in dropping this phone or thinking the backing is stronger then other backing could be false. I go with Truss on the PR pitching point and an aesthetic design feature.

Last edited:

Kag Pirate

Reaction score
I hope this kevlar silliness doesn't lead into carbon fiber on the phones, to make it that 1/8th of an ounce lighter.

Ha, it might and I was thinking of Carbon over Kevlar and Carbon might be better made for phones. :biggrin:

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
* Stander Bullet Proof vest cannot stop rifle rounds. The .22 round depends on vest and closeness when fired. I do have first hand on testing and seeing the aftermath of tests.

Which is why many ballistic vest have trauma plates that WILL stop most rifle rounds.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
* Stander Bullet Proof vest cannot stop rifle rounds. The .22 round depends on vest and closeness when fired.
it will also not stop a 5.7mm round from fn five seven hand gun, reason why they were called cop killers and a weapon of choice in the wrong circles. i prefer ceramic composites in my body armor :)

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
does anyone know how well this screen will look outside? im very interested in this phone as a replacement for my OG Droid.