HTC Thunderbolt Gets its Own Official Countdown Webspot On Verizon

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;A9h_Klwueks]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9h_Klwueks&feature=player_embedded[/video]

It seems that Verizon and HTC are trying to build up excitement for the new Thunderbolt to 'stratospheric' levels. The phone now has its own official webspot on Verizon's website, and the 'lightning' countdown commercial you see above.

This is a pretty clever marketing strategy for Verizon. The Thunderbolt is really just an improved version of the HTC EVO, but that's actually a pretty impressive thing regardless, as that phone practically single-handedly put Sprint back in the smartphone race.

Building our anticipation for this great device only makes us want it more. What do you guys think?

Source: Verizon - HTC Thunderbolt

Last edited:

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
interesting that the closing frame for the Spanish version of this video said February, but now this one says "coming soon." of course, the issues with release date are well known already. i'm waiting for a dual core.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
While the commercial grabs your attention, I still say it fails rather miserably on telling you anything.

And by the way, does this remind anyone of War of the Worlds where the girl is counting the time between the lightning and thunder? Maybe not because I don't think there was thunder with that.

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
interesting that the closing frame for the Spanish version of this video said February, but now this one says "coming soon." of course, the issues with release date are well known already. i'm waiting for a dual core.

I'm pretty sure they learned that they should lock themselves into a timeframe. If they translated it straight to February and don't deliver, fanboys would revolt.

jcbsides

Reaction score
While the commercial grabs your attention, I still say it fails rather miserably on telling you anything.

And by the way, does this remind anyone of War of the Worlds where the girl is counting the time between the lightning and thunder? Maybe not because I don't think there was thunder with that.

It's just a little teaser to get some word of mouth and what not going. I'm sure either right before or right after the release they will have some real commercials that explain why you should get your hands on this thing.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's just a little teaser to get some word of mouth and what not going. I'm sure either right before or right after the release they will have some real commercials that explain why you should get your hands on this thing.

True, and shorter commercials like this are cheaper. May just be me, but I tend to miss the the very short/quick detail at the end - you see TBolt for a brief second followed by almost just a flash of VZW. Strikes me as one of those commercials that may be memorable, but if you ask people what it was about or what product it was advertising they can't remember.

jcbsides

Reaction score

True, and shorter commercials like this are cheaper. May just be me, but I tend to miss the the very short/quick detail at the end - you see TBolt for a brief second followed by almost just a flash of VZW. Strikes me as one of those commercials that may be memorable, but if you ask people what it was about or what product it was advertising they can't remember.

hahaha Those have become a staple of ad campaigns. I loved the "Reply all" commercial during the Super Bowl but can't for the life of me remember what it was an ad for.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Remember too that we did not get the release date for the Droid 1 from Verizon until about a week before it actually dropped. I think they are setting up to make the release date know by the end of this week. I think we are on track for a 24th release. At least I really hope so, I am not a patient person and this wait is killing me.

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
Same. I'm rocking a LG Chocolate touch because my smartphone got dropped by someone (not me!). Dying for an upgrade. The touchscreen on this is a joke lol.

Anyway back to TB... I was thinking of the Bionic because I would like a dual core but after seeing Motoblur, I'm thinking otherwise. I'm not really a social networking guy so having a phone that helps display updates to me would be pointless and honestly annoying to me. Also after seeing HTCs new phones in MWC, there's really no dual core (or any new tech...)HTC phone coming out (HTC didn't hop on the dual core bandwagon?)

So yeah... never thought I would say this but... I can't wait for the Thunderbolt!

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Commercial started running here in Tucson last night. I think by all indications we are on track for a 24th release. I suspect Verizon will make the official announcement toward the end of the week if not over the weekend. They are going to try to get the most out of the hype that they can and hopefully see big sales.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Saw the commercial as well. I wonder if they are running the LTE commercials in 3G cities? That would seem a bad strategy to hype something only to have to tell customers "sorry, LTE doesn't come here for 2 more years"

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Saw the commercial as well. I wonder if they are running the LTE commercials in 3G cities? That would seem a bad strategy to hype something only to have to tell customers "sorry, LTE doesn't come here for 2 more years"

They already do it with FIOS.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).