Thunderbolt May Be Getting Gingerbread Fairly Soon

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
tango-thunderbolt-gingerbread.png

There are two separate sources of information suggesting that the HTC Thunderbolt may be getting Gingerbread fairly soon. Originally, HTC promised that we would get Gingerbread before the end of the second Quarter. Since the update was delayed by necessary bug fixes, the primary one being the TBolt reboot issue, it may not actually hit by that deadline, which is Thursday.

However, it is still possible that we will see Gingerbread for the TBolt barely in time, or at the very least, within the next week or two. The first hint at the likely release comes in the form of the following support email from HTC,
Dear Adam XXXXX,

I understand how important it is for your Thunderbolt to function properly and I apologize that you have been experiencing rebooting of the device. HTC and Verizon are aware of this issue and an update will be released soon that will address the reboot issue, and bring the Gingerbread 2.3 upgrade on board, as well as several other enhancements. Although I don’t have an official release date to provide you, this update will be released soon. Please monitor our website for further information as the release date moves closer.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Sincerely,

Jessica

HTC
The second hint comes indirectly from some info detailed on the new update for Tango. You can see in the picture above that Tango expects to be working on the HTC Thunderbolt with Gingerbread. Perhaps HTC will squeak it out at the last second. Regardless, it's pretty exciting to hear that we can expect it very soon! dancedroid

Source: ThunderboltForums.com via Droid-Life 1 & Droid-Life 2

Reaction score
I really hope this is true. I'm most interested to see if this will allow us to finally use Skype video calling and Netflix.

SithDroid2187

Reaction score
I hope this holds true as well. It would be nice for the devs to have an official release to build off of.

GDP

Reaction score
There's a lot of issues that they need to work out, so I would be surprised if it comes out real soon. Hopefully though

Sent from my Thunderbolt

electric6

Reaction score
This is why I havnt rerooted yet. The second it releases I will root, freeze bloat, and enjoy!