HTC Releases Kernel Source Code for the Thunderbolt!

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I think moto will soon follow this move..

Hopefully they do. Its pretty much the only thing that will keep me from getting a Bionic. well that and a May release date, but even then if I knew they were going to do this I could probally wait.

At least on paper if you could do this with a Bionic it should be capable of smoking the TB.

You read my mind, i am after the bionic as well...

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com

What makes you say that? From every source so far about any moto phone that's going to be released they're locking even more, not unlocking....

Sent from my Liberated D2G

Just positive thinking honestly... i am still on the OG and i love it, i would want to stick to moto and move up to the bionic soon and an unlocked bootloader would insure i will...

52brandon

Reaction score
that's amazing news. It's also a great business decision. It does absolutely nothing negative and gives them a lot higher appeal to folks that enjoy tweaking their phone to get the most out of it. Kudos HTC, hope the other manufacturers follow suit

If only moto would understand this..... drod already has a kernel almost done for tb according to twitter.

If not, I'm afraid I would have to jump ship to HTC after I run my D1 into the ground (getting pretty close lol). I appreciate their business moves more
In a creepy development to this post. I woke up bright and early this afternoon to a text from verizon offering me the t-bolt for $249. I'm gonna go check it out now... may be jumping ship earlier than expected :icon_ banana:

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Would be nice...... would be even nicer (imo because im stuck with this thing for 20 months) if they would also release the keys to unlock current models. However I seriously doubt that this will happen....

52brandon

Reaction score
ship has been jumped. Should have a shiny new 4G fully unlockable monster friday. They use a sim card which I found odd...

loki993

Reaction score

Hopefully they do. Its pretty much the only thing that will keep me from getting a Bionic. well that and a May release date, but even then if I knew they were going to do this I could probally wait.

At least on paper if you could do this with a Bionic it should be capable of smoking the TB.

Yes, but if its a Bionic with a locked and encrypted bootloader vs a basically unlocked TB, Ill probally go TB.

rumors on the Bionic are all over the place. From having a totally unlocked bootloader to one that so locked down no one will ever be able to do anything with it.

jr313

Reaction score

Yes, but if its a Bionic with a locked and encrypted bootloader vs a basically unlocked TB, Ill probally go TB.

rumors on the Bionic are all over the place. From having a totally unlocked bootloader to one that so locked down no one will ever be able to do anything with it.

Itll b locked dwn like fort knox...maybe more so them Droid X

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
that's amazing news. It's also a great business decision. It does absolutely nothing negative and gives them a lot higher appeal to folks that enjoy tweaking their phone to get the most out of it. Kudos HTC, hope the other manufacturers follow suit

HTC was required by an agreement to release the kernel source, this was not an option for them to do. They were actually not in compliance after the release of the TB, as the source was supposed to be released by the time the phone was available.

The TB is the most locked down HTC phone to date. They had a signed kernel, and bootloader. It just wasnt encrypted. HTC is moving in the direction of MOTO, we may see future handsets more locked down than the TB.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

HTC was required by an agreement to release the kernel source, this was not an option for them to do. They were actually not in compliance after the release of the TB, as the source was supposed to be released by the time the phone was available.

The way I understood it was that they had 90 days from the release date to release the source code. That could be wrong though so please correct me if it is.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score

The way I understood it was that they had 90 days from the release date to release the source code. That could be wrong though so please correct me if it is.

I'm no legal expert, but check out this thread posts 13 & 14 http://www.droidforums.net/forum/thunderbolt-hacks/136683-kernal-source.html

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Not sure..... I was mostly going by what the devs like Drod and Bgill had tweeted about it tbh lol