HTC Releases Kernel Source Code for the Thunderbolt!

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I REALLY hope somebody in the developer community can use this to extend the battery life. It's the only thing holding me back from moving on to a TB. I just can't have a phone that lasts 6 hrs, tops...
i posted a thread on how to disable 4g if ur in a non4g area...its in the hacks section of the THUNDERBOLT forum

Droid66

Reaction score
I'm starting to be very proud of my move from Motorola to HTC. Motorola wants us rooters to go elsewhere? OK, I did. And so will a lot of people I know and ask me for phone advice :).

+1. I really liked my D1 but I like my Thunderbolt even better.

52brandon

Reaction score
that's amazing news. It's also a great business decision. It does absolutely nothing negative and gives them a lot higher appeal to folks that enjoy tweaking their phone to get the most out of it. Kudos HTC, hope the other manufacturers follow suit

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
that's amazing news. It's also a great business decision. It does absolutely nothing negative and gives them a lot higher appeal to folks that enjoy tweaking their phone to get the most out of it. Kudos HTC, hope the other manufacturers follow suit

If only moto would understand this..... drod already has a kernel almost done for tb according to twitter.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

52brandon

Reaction score

If only moto would understand this..... drod already has a kernel almost done for tb according to twitter.

If not, I'm afraid I would have to jump ship to HTC after I run my D1 into the ground (getting pretty close lol). I appreciate their business moves more

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

If not, I'm afraid I would have to jump ship to HTC after I run my D1 into the ground (getting pretty close lol). I appreciate their business moves more

Id advise it anyways after their recent crap lol.

CharlieDog

Reaction score

Absolutely agree. I left my OG Droid with a bit of regret (especially since I dropped the f*cker and cracked the screen to hell, lol) and went to the TB. I wasn't a huge fan of the Sense UI, but after the first couple hours, I haven't looked back.

Rooted it too, and got rid of the bloat. I'm definitely loving it, and wanting to start putting some ROMs on it. Running it stock now, but this is great news.

Its TwiX

Reaction score
So... With a "1 click" root now there's pretty much no risk in bricking?

Tempting to root this beast now... Could really use the battery savings. I charge my phone during lunch to 98% and by the time I got back to the car it was at 87%

Sorry for the offtopicness... What exactly does the kernel code help with? I'm a noob.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums App

CharlieDog

Reaction score

Tempting to root this beast now... Could really use the battery savings. I charge my phone during lunch to 98% and by the time I got back to the car it was at 87%

Sorry for the offtopicness... What exactly does the kernel code help with? I'm a noob.

I used DBZ's three step root, it took a few times for the third step to take, but aside from the nerveracking part, it was relatively painless.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

As far as I know there haven't been any tbolts bricked while rooting. There was a few that had problems but they managed to help fix it.

The kernel is basically the OS. Tweaking that allows overclocking/undervolting and so much more. Its really kind of hard to give a deffinate answer because of how much the kernel affects.

GSXRADDICT

Reaction score
Anyone try the kernels in Rom manager?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

loki993

Reaction score
I think moto will soon follow this move..

Hopefully they do. Its pretty much the only thing that will keep me from getting a Bionic. well that and a May release date, but even then if I knew they were going to do this I could probally wait.

At least on paper if you could do this with a Bionic it should be capable of smoking the TB.