HTC Merge Official Press Release - Multiple U.S. Carriers and Probably Verizon

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;zjvtwVXxd4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjvtwVXxd4A&feature=player_embedded[/video]

We haven't done too many stories on the HTC Merge lately because there was no 'official' word yet as to whether it was coming to Verizon or not; however, a 360 degree pic of the phone did show up briefly on Verizon's own website, so it seems likely it will arrive for Big Red. Also, HTC just shared a new press release which clearly indicates that it will soon be available in the U.S. on "multiple carriers", further solidifying the probability that Verizon will get it.

The only time-frame for release that was given was Spring of 2011, which may be 'nebulous' but is not too far off. This 'medium-end' phone looks to have some decent features and hopefully HTC's usual excellent build quality. Furthermore, as the video shows above, it scores a quite decent 1500 Quadrant score with its stock non-dual-core 800MHz processor. Interestingly, the device also has global 3G roaming. The press release indicated
The HTC Merge is also HTC's first Android-based CDMA world phone.

Here is its feature-set:
  • 800MHz Processor
  • 512MB Ram
  • Android 2.2 OS
  • 5 MegaPixel Camera
  • 2GB Storage
  • Full Slide-Out QWERTY keyboard
  • Global 3G Roaming
Hmmm... not bad for a mid-range phone. What do you guys think? Maybe a good phone for the significant other or kids? Maybe even a decent workhorse phone for non-power users or businessmen who travel a lot?

Source: Full Press Release - HTC Merge via Engadget and AndroidCentral

jodyberry

Reaction score
It's the phone that people who want a physical keyboard have been waiting for.

No, it's not a high-end, 4G model, but for those that prefer a physical keyboard, it's much better than the Ally.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's the phone that people who want a physical keyboard have been waiting for.

No, it's not a high-end, 4G model, but for those that prefer a physical keyboard, it's much better than the Ally.

Yeah it seems to be a decent phone though it reminds me of the EVO 4G Shift.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Specs are low, old OS, low processor, low ram. Does it have the new sense. Better be priced inexpensively. Might as well get the incredible instead.

matt2783

Reaction score
I just want a Verizon 4g phone with a qwerty keyboard... I guess I'll have to choose one or the other, and unless 4g data plans are too expensive I think I'll have to pick 4g.

dbst

Reaction score
This would be a good phone for people that don't care about specs or rooting, just a smartphone with a good keyboard

Mopdaddy

Reaction score
If I get a phone for my kids I want it to be one that does not have text, I don't think kids should have phones like these.

king_43

Reaction score
If I get a phone for my kids I want it to be one that does not have text, I don't think kids should have phones like these.
ditto, agree with you fully, if i had a daughter I would NOT want her to have one of these phones and be on facebook all the time