"Google Experience" and future Android updates

jdubbs23

Reaction score
So since this phone is a Google Experience device, that means when Google releases updates to the Android OS we can get them right away and update the Droid correct?

Does this also mean that as Google OS matures over the next year to say 3.0 or something, that we would be able to get that right away?

Aren't there other phones that are Google Experience devices out now, and have they all been pushed to Android 2.0 automatically? I was trying to find this out and I stumbled upon this article at Android and Me <http://androidandme.com/2009/10/news/g1-owners-could-miss-out-on-android-2-0/>. So my concern is that I could get this phone, and then in 6 months there is a better version of Android released that I'd miss out on. Am I wrong?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
yes and no. you will be able to get whatever software updates that are compatible with your phone. but, for example, android 2.0 is not compatible with the G1. but yeah, you will get whatever updates for a while at least, but by that point, your version of the OS will likely have the bugs ironed out

jwd45244

Reaction score
yes and no. you will be able to get whatever software updates that are compatible with your phone. but, for example, android 2.0 is not compatible with the G1. but yeah, you will get whatever updates for a while at least, but by that point, your version of the OS will likely have the bugs ironed out

Android 2.0 is compatible with the G1. There is someone nf the net that has a video of 2.0 running on it.

OP
J

jdubbs23

Reaction score

Android 2.0 is compatible with the G1. There is someone nf the net that has a video of 2.0 running on it.

I think that is an "unofficial" hack of Android 2.0 running on the G1. And I realize that if I can "root" my phone (prob won't do this) I could do much more customization of the OS. What I'm interested in though is making sure that my phone can and will receive Android updates officially from Google when they are released.

OP
J

jdubbs23

Reaction score
Here's another article that concerns me: Sprint: No OTA updates for Android phones – Android and Me

They say here that Sprint hasn't updated their Android phones since Android 1.5! Apparently Sprint is trying to figure out how to issue the OTA updates, or it will be OTA at all (probably wired as mentioned in the article).

The main issue for Sprint being unable to handle this OTA update is do to Sprint's CDMA network being unable to handle voice and data at the same time...this would be a problem on Verizon as well!

jwd45244

Reaction score
Here's another article that concerns me: Sprint: No OTA updates for Android phones – Android and Me

They say here that Sprint hasn't updated their Android phones since Android 1.5! Apparently Sprint is trying to figure out how to issue the OTA updates, or it will be OTA at all (probably wired as mentioned in the article).

The main issue for Sprint being unable to handle this OTA update is do to Sprint's CDMA network being unable to handle voice and data at the same time...this would be a problem on Verizon as well!

What Sprint can or cannot do on their network may have absolutely no bearing on what Verizon can and cannot do. But, let's say you are right. I 100% expect you will be able apply updates via a USB attachment or Wifi.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is actually a very good thing to find out for those who want to get an android phone on sprint. This forum isn't just for the MOTO droid from verizon. To me this is a VERY big concern if i ever wanted to get a phone from sprint. So if this is true it's a very big find.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
While the forum you are talking about is correct, this thread needs to be moved, because it's my understanding the whole "google experience and future android updates" not is specific to verizon. THREAD MOVED!