[NEWS] Droid to get Flash but only for 2.1 and above

M

Matth3w

Flash 10.1 for Android Requires Additional Updates...

Adobe has released news for Android owners that Adobe Flash 10.1 for mobile for Android will only be released for devices running version 2.1 or higher of the Google mobile OS. The move would limit Android to newer handsets as owners of older models are either waiting to hear of an upgrade or waiting for their 2.x upgrades to be released; thus far, only Google's Nexus One, made by HTC, and the Motorola Droid--whose update will be released this week--will support 2.1 and be Flash 10.1-ready.

Additionally, Adrian Ludwig from the Flash team, states that Flash 10.1 requires some additional enhancements from Google, and that those updates will be rolled out as necessary. The company is committed to bringing Flash 10.1 mobile to webOS, Android, and Windows Mobile handsets within the first half of the year.

Adobe, Google, and other members of the Open Screen Project are working together to make ensure the full Web experience can be delivered on largest possible number of devices. Support for full Flash Player 10.1 requires some enhancements to existing versions of Android. These enhancements are expected to be available as an upgrade to existing devices and for new devices starting in Q2 2010.

mtbhk44

Reaction score
Do we know yet if we upgrade to 2.1, does the root access get sealed up? Or is it all speculation at this point?

OP
M

Matth3w

They will have it hacked, but yes, initially the same exploit that works on 2.0.1 is not likely to work on 2.1

Flash would be nice to me, but no where near worth unrooting. Would rather not discuss the benefits or whatever of rooting or not in this thread, that topic has been beat to death. I was just showing some news that I found that says that you will have to have 2.1

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is some positive news along with the 2.1 update....there'll be an exploit for 2.1 I'm not worrying about that...

OP
M

Matth3w

Dude the phone has barely been out 3 months.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
first q1 now q2 this is the longest wait ever

they said 1h 2010, not 1q 2010 :(

but i bet it will be delayed even further. however i also bet there will be a "leaked" beta beforehand

Reaction score
Good news. I'm hoping this "additional updates from google" help make it run smoother. I would rather have no flash than have slow framerate flash and get frustrated.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good news. I'm hoping this "additional updates from google" help make it run smoother. I would rather have no flash than have slow framerate flash and get frustrated.

Exactly, I was a little worried that Flash might make browsing lag real bad....

Or just make it slower altogether....but I think they're trying to prevent that...

kaboyd

Reaction score
Thanks for the news. I knew they would find a way to "make" me get the update. LOL. I hope it gets rooted super fast. I'm sure that the OEM won't hold a candle to what Sholes will come up with.

korp

Reaction score
Not surprised that flash will only be on 2.1 devices. Its like on blackberry when they released the 5.0 operating system.