Google's Android 2.1: How It'll Change Your Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
where is everyone getting these dates from?
Fortune cookies, Magic 8-Balls, hats..... pretty much anywhere you can pull something from :)

Speculation. Jan 22nd is the most consistent date... I don't know where any of the others originated. Left in the dark til the day comes I guess :mad:

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
They are assume the Jan 22nd date that the next update was scheduled for will be the date they push out 2.1

It's all based on hope and speculation. No one knows.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I have no real info but I have a feeling we will start seeing updates trickling out as soon as Monday.

If you recall, the last Update was rumored for Dec 11th and the updates started trickling out 5 days before the 11th so everyone would have it by the 11th.

Given that logic, if the rummored date is the 22nd, plus some others stated "senior techs" at Verizon said they could start on or before the 17th (5 days before the 22nd), then it would make perfect sense that we could see the updates roll out all thru this coming week.

That's my theory and I am sticking too it... at least until Monday afternoon :)

BUT of course, we won't know for sure until someone reports actually getting an update notice..... Fingers crossed!!

JFDroid

Reaction score
I have no real info but I have a feeling we will start seeing updates trickling out as soon as Monday.

If you recall, the last Update was rumored for Dec 11th and the updates started trickling out 5 days before the 11th so everyone would have it by the 11th.

Given that logic, if the rummored date is the 22nd, plus some others stated "senior techs" at Verizon said they could start on or before the 17th (5 days before the 22nd), then it would make perfect sense that we could see the updates roll out all thru this coming week.

That's my theory and I am sticking too it... at least until Monday afternoon :)

BUT of course, we won't know for sure until someone reports actually getting an update notice..... Fingers crossed!!

Verizon and Google have a specific way of doing updates. This is how it works:

They push the update to a small percentage to "test" it and check that it works well with people's phones. Google has a way to monitor the progress remotely and how well the update works, and they work with VZW customer service on complaints from users about the update to make sure everything is working as intended.

After this small batch of people get the update, there's a 48 hour window where no one gets any update at all, so that Verizon and Google have time to check for problems as detailed in the above paragraph.

If all is going well, then updates are pushed to mass amounts of people after the 48 hour period of no updates, continuing until everyone has upgraded.

Battery level needs to be 40% or higher when the phone checks for the update, and usage of network resources must be low. So, if you really want an update and you know the day(s) when it's coming, I suggest using your phone for browsing, etc. as little as possible.

Each phone only checks for the update two (2) times per day (not sure if it's at like 12:01pm and 12:01am or some other time - that part I don't know, just that it only checks twice for the update).

Updates are done by Google, and Verizon works with them to work out any problems. This makes sense since Google authors the software in partnership with Verizon Wireless.

The process of updating is the same for both Droid phones, the Eris and the Motorola Droid. The Eris just had a small update and 15k-25k people are getting a 2.0.1 update to fix Facebook right now, and I would imagine this is how updates will be handles henceforth.

---

So the theory of 5 days before the 22nd might be true, since that is how it happened in December. 5 days before the 11th, a small amount (maybe 5%) will get the 2.1 update, and then a 48 hour window where no one gets any update. Then over day 4, 5, and 6 if needed, everyone else will get their update.

The 22nd is a rumor, of course, and not set in stone, but most people seem to think it's the most solid date of any out there. I tend to agree, though I certainly err on the side of caution and don't let myself get my hopes up too much. I assume we will get 2.1 at the latest by the end of February, though I hope for it much sooner :)

Sodner

Reaction score
I got the 2.0.1 OTA but I do not remember what all the button choices were. WHEN they push 2.1 I need to first uninstall all my 2.1 apps. Is there a choice that will let me uninstall the apps first and then click "YES" or wil I have to hit cancel?

gallumbits

Reaction score
The 22nd of January is definitely just a rumor. Based on rumors from the web the Milestone was supposed to get 2.0.1 on the 13th of January - it's 3 days *after* that and still no update.
Bottom line is - it doesn't matter if it's going to come on the 22nd, before or after that - the important thing is that it is coming so you'll just have to wait like everybody else...

P.S. Still waiting for the f*king 2.0.1 on the Milestone :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The 22nd of January is definitely just a rumor. Based on rumors from the web the Milestone was supposed to get 2.0.1 on the 13th of January - it's 3 days *after* that and still no update.
Bottom line is - it doesn't matter if it's going to come on the 22nd, before or after that - the important thing is that it is coming so you'll just have to wait like everybody else...

P.S. Still waiting for the f*king 2.0.1 on the Milestone :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:
The Droid is VZW... carrier can push out 2.1 before the Milestone gets it.

Jzaga053

Reaction score
nice. sooo ready for this. using home ++ because of the home screens...

but its mad glitchy now, slow to respond, etc. looking forward to this

Status
Not open for further replies.