FRG83G Official OTA Patch

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing a few people this morning that received the OTA notification and installed it, but it didn't work, and then didn't notify again. If you want to try it again, here is the file that was just pushed to my phone, I pulled it and uploaded to my Dropbox:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4033527/5932ba328825.signed-voles-FRG83G-from-FRG83D.5932ba32.zip

This is just the patch, so you'll need to be on FRG83D already. Also, if you're running a custom recovery, you should be able to move this to the root of your SD Card, rename to update.zip (depending on your recovery) and flash it like anything else.

Last edited:
OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just wait until you get it OTA. I got it OTA yesterday.

people were posting that they got the OTA and it didn't work, then it wasn't notifying them again to update... hence the link so they could stick it on their sd card and try again

sandman2025

Reaction score
Root

Hi all I was just wondering if this update affected root (did you have to re-root afterwards)? If so do current methods still work? If so could you tell me what method you are using?

Thank you.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all I was just wondering if this update affected root (did you have to re-root afterwards)? If so do current methods still work? If so could you tell me what method you are using?

Thank you.

the method in my signature will still root it - it's the most full-proof method there is for the D1, while we're still on Froyo anyway

because of the tinkering I was doing, I actually was not rooted when I installed this update, so I can't say for sure if you'll lose root... but historically speaking, it's likely

Last edited:

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
How to use?

I'm seeing a few people this morning that received the OTA notification and installed it, but it didn't work, and then didn't notify again. If you want to try it again, here is the file that was just pushed to my phone, I pulled it and uploaded to my Dropbox:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4033527/5932ba328825.signed-voles-FRG83G-from-FRG83D.5932ba32.zip

This is just the patch, so you'll need to be on FRG83D already. Also, if you're running a custom recovery, you should be able to move this to the root of your SD Card, rename to update.zip (depending on your recovery) and flash it like anything else.

The ota failed for me... first time in three updates. It's been all day, still at 2.2.1 and no additional notification of a pending update. Am I supposed to put this zip file on the sd card? (I'm at stock, no root), or is that approach just for folks with SPRecovery etc.?

liguy257

Reaction score
Ok I looked at the flyer in the attached link but I'm not sure I get what problems it fixed (I had a very long day and my brain isn't working)... Can someone give an example of each of the two things it says are corrected? Not sure what an "unintended recipient list" is or what they mean by "correct message populates when messaging app is opened quickly"--when was it 'incorrect'?

I'm just curious if these are things I had issues with previously...

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The ota failed for me... first time in three updates. It's been all day, still at 2.2.1 and no additional notification of a pending update. Am I supposed to put this zip file on the sd card? (I'm at stock, no root), or is that approach just for folks with SPRecovery etc.?

Put this file on the root of your SD card, rename it to update.zip (make sure you can see file extensions so you don't name it update.zip.zip). Power down your phone. Then, while holding down "x" on your keyboard, power back up and keep holding "x". When you see the triangle with the exclamation point, close the keyboard, then hold down the volume up key and tap the camera button. That should bring up a menu. Open up your keyboard again and use the D-pad to navigate to "apply sdcard: update.zip" and select that. Theoretically, this should work... once it's done, reboot and hopefully in your settings/about phone it says FRG83G and 2.2.2... Let me know!

Last edited:
OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok I looked at the flyer in the attached link but I'm not sure I get what problems it fixed (I had a very long day and my brain isn't working)... Can someone give an example of each of the two things it says are corrected? Not sure what an "unintended recipient list" is or what they mean by "correct message populates when messaging app is opened quickly"--when was it 'incorrect'?

I'm just curious if these are things I had issues with previously...

I never saw these issues on my phone, but they were evidently widespread enough to cause a patch... So I honestly can't tell you exactly what it means :) I'm sure someone else has experienced it, though. *looks around*

pudah

Reaction score

Put this file on the root of your SD card, rename it to update.zip (make sure you can see file extensions so you don't name it update.zip.zip). Power down your phone. Then, while holding down "x" on your keyboard, power back up and keep holding "x". When you see the triangle with the exclamation point, close the keyboard, then hold down the volume up key and tap the camera button. That should bring up a menu. Open up your keyboard again and use the D-pad to navigate to "apply sdcard: update.zip" and select that. Theoretically, this should work... once it's done, reboot and hopefully in your settings/about phone it says FRG83G and 2.2.2... Let me know!

I tried this and the installation is aborted every time. Im attempting to install using ClockworkMod Recovery. It says assert failed: apply_patch_check and then a string with the location of googlegoggles.apk (which I think I deleted) and a line of numbers and letters. Then it says Error in /sdcard/update.zip (status 7) Installation Aborted.

Now what?

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score

I tried this and the installation is aborted every time. Im attempting to install using ClockworkMod Recovery. It says assert failed: apply_patch_check and then a string with the location of googlegoggles.apk (which I think I deleted) and a line of numbers and letters. Then it says Error in /sdcard/update.zip (status 7) Installation Aborted.

Now what?

Well I've not tried it yet... I was about to then thought: do I REALLY want this update since it didn't exactly go smoothly the first time. My wife's phone (we did the BOGO last year) did some screwy stuff when she took the update, however her phone says "2.2.2" and it still works! Right now my phone is working so do I really want to take the chance? :) I also thought I'd wait about 24 hours or so just to see what would happen...

pudah

Reaction score
Is there a better way to update (not install a full ROM replacing data) with an alternate recovery?