[How-To] Force Motorola Droid 2.1 OTA Update (ESE81)

Getaphixx

Reaction score
Credit to Fabolous @

Download this file:

https://android.clients.google.com/updates/voles/signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6.zip <--- Direct from Google's Servers!

OR

signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6.zip

Put on the root of your sdcard (not in a folder)

Rename to update.zip

Power phone off

Boot into recovery (power phone on while holding down x)

When you see the triangle with the exclamation point, press (& hold) the volume up key and camera button key (only press the camera key down half way)

Navigate to “apply update.zip” and press the gold center button on the keyboard to select it. It will start the update process

Reboot

If your installation is 'aborted', it's probably because you named the file update.zip in Windows, which results in a file called update.zip.zip. Try renaming it to just 'update'

EDIT: You can do all this from your phone without using the USB cable.. Using Astro just move the file from your download folder on SD, to the Root of SD..

Installing this will remove root access! It will kill wifi tethering. It ONLY installs over 2.01 and all of your apps/ personal info will remain untouched.

If your phone's Firmare Version reads "2.1-update1".. You're done! Congrats! Everything is fine!

Special Thanks To...

-ugot2go123 and Speeddymon for the update.zip file

Last edited:
OP
Getaphixx

Getaphixx

Reaction score
Yes..

Also ignore the site certificate warning..

Download the file anyway..

RoNYC

Reaction score
hello
got to the exclamation point and pressed volume up and camera but nothing????did i miss anything?

RoNYC

Reaction score
manage to install and reboot........nothing?!?!?!? checked phone info and still 2.0

frayed

Reaction score
So if I force the update is it exactly the same as if I wait for it ota or will o not get the next update

RoNYC

Reaction score
after "apply sdcard:update.zip" it gave me a "installation aborted".....help

samiusmc

Reaction score
after "apply sdcard:update.zip" it gave me a "installation aborted".....help

Make sure the file is named "update.zip" and not "update.zip.zip" If you're using Windows 7, just name it "update" and Windows will add the ".zip" extension.

RoNYC

Reaction score
on a mac g4, file name is update.zip.....thanks

Moonraker

Reaction score
Bad'****ing'Ass. It worked like a charm.. Just as an OTA update would be I believe.

Live wallpapers, updated galley, updated pinch and zoom. All here in my hands.. No more "Ill see it when I believe it". Its here, you just have to download and do this procedure.. or wait.