FRG83G Official OTA Patch

spazem

Reaction score
I'm trying to put simplystunning on my phone. I renamed it update and went to recovery using rom mgr. It keeps aborting due to signature failed. Please help

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

pudah

Reaction score
I'm trying to put simplystunning on my phone. I renamed it update and went to recovery using rom mgr. It keeps aborting due to signature failed. Please help

I think this might be for a different thread.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

yeah, I'd go to Chevy's section for that

pudah did you ever get it working? this file won't replace any data or anything like that, it's simply a patch

pudah

Reaction score

yeah, I'd go to Chevy's section for that

pudah did you ever get it working? this file won't replace any data or anything like that, it's simply a patch

No I didnt. I want just the OTA patch basically. I tried to install the OTA patch while rooted, it failed, and never came back. I unrooted, tried the patch from here, and it also fails (using an alternate recovery). Not sure what to do to get it back. I re-rooted for the time being. Id like to get the stock patch and remain rooted or re-root after patched.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The file in my original link is the exact OTA patch that was pushed to my phone to take me from FRG83D to FRG83G. I was unrooted with the stock recovery when I ran it, and it worked. I'm about to go out with family, but when I get home later I'll try flashing back to FRG22D or FRG83D and see if I can get it to run in various scenarios.

When you get this patch to run, you'll likely lose root, but you can use Motocache's method to reroot (in my sig) and it'll work. That part I do know for sure as I did it already.

So you said "alternate recovery" - when you unrooted, was it still a custom recovery, or stock recovery? It's possible they've signed the file in a way that it will only work through stock recovery... (that's what I'll want to test later... wish I could now).

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's what I've tried/tested so far, and so far it's worked every time.

First off, I re-downloaded the file from my link in the original post to make sure I was using the exact same file as you or whomever else might be having issues... then this is what I've done:

1) Stock Recovery: I flashed back to stock FRG22D, and let the system OTA to FRG83D. So I was sitting on a purely stock phone with FRG83D. I placed the file on the root of the SD Card, renamed it to "update.zip", powered down my phone, then booted into recovery (hold x while powering on). Once in Stock Recovery (triangle with exclamation point), I got to the main menu (volume-up + camera), selected "apply sdcard: update.zip", and it installed fine. Rebooted, and it worked - stock FRG83G.

So that tells me that it should install fine through Stock Recovery coming from FRG83D.

2) RZRecovery: Flashed back to stock FRG22D, let it OTA to FRG83D again. I sbf'd SPRecovery, then flashed RZRecovery through SPRecovery (one great thing about RZRecovery is that it can be installed like a ROM, through another custom recovery like SPR or Clockwork). I then installed the OTA Patch through RZRecovery, and again, it worked - rebooted to verify.

Why did I use RZRecovery? There are two reasons:
- First, if it can be flashed on RZRecovery, then there's a 99.9% chance SPRecovery will have no problems with it (though SPR requires it to be called "update.zip") and there's a 95% chance Clockwork will flash it fine as well (no titling requirement).
- Second, even if RZR is the only one that can handle it, and SPR or CW cannot for some reason, RZR is extremely easy to flash - simply treat it as a ROM and install it appropriately... as update.zip through SPR or as whatever.zip through Clockwork.

So, pudah, there's something we're missing here in your situation... what recovery are you running? Are you sure you're on stock FRG83D currently, or are you on some sort of "stock ROM" possibly? Being rooted or not rooted should have zero affect on whether or not this file installs. Your current system and recovery should be the only things that affect it.

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
It did it...

The ota failed for me... first time in three updates. It's been all day, still at 2.2.1 and no additional notification of a pending update. Am I supposed to put this zip file on the sd card? (I'm at stock, no root), or is that approach just for folks with SPRecovery etc.?

Put this file on the root of your SD card, rename it to update.zip (make sure you can see file extensions so you don't name it update.zip.zip). Power down your phone. Then, while holding down "x" on your keyboard, power back up and keep holding "x". When you see the triangle with the exclamation point, close the keyboard, then hold down the volume up key and tap the camera button. That should bring up a menu. Open up your keyboard again and use the D-pad to navigate to "apply sdcard: update.zip" and select that. Theoretically, this should work... once it's done, reboot and hopefully in your settings/about phone it says FRG83G and 2.2.2... Let me know!

So I waited until just this second to see IF I'd get an update notification... needless to say the answer is NO. Not only that, I see that there is a new flash so I think my apps are no longer updating as well. I figured 48 hours was a sufficient amount of time to wait. But I followed this procedure to the letter and it worked like a charm. Thanks. I'm now at 2.2.2. To reiterate, stock FRG83D, stock recovery... your zip file. Now I'll have to wait and see if my app notifications come back.

PainProphet

Reaction score
Woke up not too long ago and saw this thread. My OTA didn't work the other day, but this update worked for me, now at 2.2.2, FRG83G thanks jntdroid.

mg8199

Reaction score
The ota failed for me... first time in three updates. It's been all day, still at 2.2.1 and no additional notification of a pending update. Am I supposed to put this zip file on the sd card? (I'm at stock, no root), or is that approach just for folks with SPRecovery etc.?

Put this file on the root of your SD card, rename it to update.zip (make sure you can see file extensions so you don't name it update.zip.zip). Power down your phone. Then, while holding down "x" on your keyboard, power back up and keep holding "x". When you see the triangle with the exclamation point, close the keyboard, then hold down the volume up key and tap the camera button. That should bring up a menu. Open up your keyboard again and use the D-pad to navigate to "apply sdcard: update.zip" and select that. Theoretically, this should work... once it's done, reboot and hopefully in your settings/about phone it says FRG83G and 2.2.2... Let me know!

So I waited until just this second to see IF I'd get an update notification... needless to say the answer is NO. Not only that, I see that there is a new flash so I think my apps are no longer updating as well. I figured 48 hours was a sufficient amount of time to wait. But I followed this procedure to the letter and it worked like a charm. Thanks. I'm now at 2.2.2. To reiterate, stock FRG83D, stock recovery... your zip file. Now I'll have to wait and see if my app notifications come back.

Yeah that that's exactly how I manually updated to 2.2 when it first came out. Looks like I'll have to do it again...

pudah

Reaction score
I have FRG83D that was rooted manually using a command prompt and ADB, and I didn't push a "stock" ROM. I'm using clockwork as a recovery, and I installed it using RomManager. I can try going back to the stock recovery and applying the update that way.

pudah

Reaction score
Apparently I don't know an easy way to get back to the stock recovery. I thought RomManager would have an easy method, but I do not see one. I even tried to unroot using superoneclick and clockwork remained. I also could not install SP recovery using RomManager. I get an error when I attemot to do so. For what its worth the below code is part of what I see when I try to install the update.zip file using clockwork.

47c2d4adf") assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/GoogleGoggles.apk", " 1d4d0889e21e8de24d0e7c6766bf234cabe99adf", "b5ab81098c1851d90145204b872b08 947c2d4adf") E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip (Status 7) Installation aborted. Failure at line 3: install_zip SDCARD:/update.zip

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah there's not really an easy way to get back to stock recovery without flashing something that has it.

I don't know why you're seeing that error, unless the file just won't work on CW. That's odd that GoogleGoggles specifically pops up like that.

Have you tried RZRecovery? You can put it on your SD card and flash it through CW. I know it's able to flash the file. Here's the link if you want to try it: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ra...-based-update-zips-battery-charging-more.html

If that doesn't work, you could always back up all of your apps/data with Titanium or MyBackupPro (or both!), and flash back to FRG22D with the FRG22D Master OTA file (it's the last one we have that's a full master that replaces recovery, bootloader, baseband, and system of course). Look in the "unroot" link in my sig for that file if you have to go that far with it. I know that's a hassle, though... so I would try RZRecovery first.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know you probably have, but have you re-downloaded the file to make sure nothing was corrupted the first time you downloaded it?

pudah

Reaction score
Yeah there's not really an easy way to get back to stock recovery without flashing something that has it.

I don't know why you're seeing that error, unless the file just won't work on CW. That's odd that GoogleGoggles specifically pops up like that.

Have you tried RZRecovery? You can put it on your SD card and flash it through CW. I know it's able to flash the file. Here's the link if you want to try it: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ra...-based-update-zips-battery-charging-more.html

If that doesn't work, you could always back up all of your apps/data with Titanium or MyBackupPro (or both!), and flash back to FRG22D with the FRG22D Master OTA file (it's the last one we have that's a full master that replaces recovery, bootloader, baseband, and system of course). Look in the "unroot" link in my sig for that file if you have to go that far with it. I know that's a hassle, though... so I would try RZRecovery first.

Ive tried re-downloading the update. I'll try again. I'll also try RZ. I don't think I want this enough to wipe the whole system. I only intend on keeping my Droid until LTE is available, and then it's going to be upgrade time. Thanks for the continued assistance.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
No problem. LTE not available in your area yet? I just played with a thunderbolt for the first time and its awfully tempting...

Sent from my Droid