Features, and Bug-Fixes, and Themes, OH MY! Sapphire - 0.8.4

Luxferro

Reaction score
Just a suggestion, download just the base Rom first then make a backup so you can fall back to a clean install. Then download from this post all the extras.
On version 0.7 there were a few people myself included who could not install the Gapps fix at the same time as the Rom.

People have also had problems not wiping when coming from 0.7.0. Mainly not being able to get passed the green android to sign in. Though people have had more problems with ROM Manager, so I suggest booting into either SPR or clockwork and manually installing that way.

Last night I posted a really dumb question - where is GEM settings? However, I had (I thought) installed .8.4. Checked all the boxes in ROM Manager, including backup and data and cache wipe. Came up with a phone with no apps, none of them reloaded but I thought I had .8.4 - hence the dumb question. However, GEM Settings were nowhere to be found and the phone was acting weird. Restored from a backup and did the whole thing again. Restored again because the phone was acting odd and I needed some sleep.

Got up this morning and tried it 2 more times through ROM Manager - carefully checking all the right boxes. Lost root and - finally - checked the version. I had Sapphire .7 unrooted with no apps :icon_evil:.

Finally went through Clockwork - installed .84 and GAPPS. Wow - everything worked and most of my apps installed. Flashed Nextang and all is well again.

So - sorry for the really dumb question last night but I was really baffled as to why I could not find GEM settings.

Love Sapphire, glad that it all works, and would suggest that no one try to use ROM manager to install the update.

I had similar problems with the 0.8.4 update. My initial attempt was when I got a notification in the status bar about sapphire 0.8.4 update. clicking the update from the notification drop down takes you through the script to download the rom, kernel, and gapps, ect. But I think something is wrong with that script the notification uses, since after trying to update via the notification 2x resulted in my version still being 0.7.0... basically it didn't downloaded the rom, cause I could not find it in any of the clockwork subfolders. So it just reflashed gapps, kernel, and market fixes right over previous versions (when flashing a rom, /system is wiped out... in this case it wasn't since a rom was never flashed).

after clearing cache in rom manager, and retrying to download the rom from within rom managager (and not from the notification), it downloaded the rom. but upon flashing my market would instantly FC, and it wouldn't let me install some select apps from titanium backups. fix permissions didn't work. so i restored to my 0.7.0 nandroid backup. note that it finally flashed to 0.8.4 after 2 previous failed attempts.

today, i decided to make one more attempt. this time no issues flashing over 0.7.0 w/o wipe. I suspect that the first 2 failed attempts (from update notification) messed it up the previous night.

ITguy11

Reaction score
0.8.4 running smooth as silk!
1246 on Quadrant with the included kernel

Great job cvpcs dancedroid

Diordna

Reaction score
Doesn't seem like anything really changed for me in this upgrade except it totally took away my market??
You got to apply the Gapps, and if you check the changelog you would see that a lot has changed since 0.7.0.
huh??

And I looked through the phone for the market but couldn't find anything.
And I know the changelog but just saying it feels exactly the same I was saying, except I'm without a market.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like anything really changed for me in this upgrade except it totally took away my market??
You got to apply the Gapps, and if you check the changelog you would see that a lot has changed since 0.7.0.
huh??

And I know the changelog but just saying it feels exactly the same I was saying, except I'm without a market.

Please, please read the release page for 0.8.4.

releases:sapphire-0.8.4 [CVPCS Sapphire Wiki]

Google apps are a separate install now.

mightybrick

Reaction score
huh??

So if you read the changelog, then you would know that google apps were removed, and need to be installed through a separate zip, which is listed in the sapphire wiki.

Mikejl

Reaction score
See post just above yours. Nice and easy. If you do it through terminal on the phone then type in su instead of adb shell in the instruction.
I will give this a shot. I haven't used adb yet. This is a good reason to install and fire it up.

Thanks,
Mike

Good luck... Before typing in exit and rebooting your phone you can type in ls -l to see the files in /system/etc/init.d permissions should show -r-xr-xr-x
This worked!!. Compcache is starting at bootup on automatically now!

Plus as an extra bonus, playing with adb looks like it is going to be a lot of fun.

Thanks,
Mike

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
huh??

Please, please read the release page for 0.8.4.

releases:sapphire-0.8.4 [CVPCS Sapphire Wiki]

Google apps are a separate install now.

huh??

So if you read the changelog, then you would know that google apps were removed, and need to be installed through a separate zip, which is listed in the sapphire wiki.

THIS is what I meant by reading the changelog....

njs1190

Reaction score
ok so i am running the latest version but i still do not see adobe flash 10.1. What i do see is an app called adobe flash showcase. is something wrong or is this an issue in google's hands? or is the showcase app essentially the same thing?

subsynth

Reaction score
Did you apply the market fix? Becase if so you probably wouldn't see flash in the market because it changes the build prop to reflect 2.1 in the market.

Adobe flash showcase is just a bookmark to m.flash.com

njs1190

Reaction score
no i have not applied the market fix. when i search for flash the only adobe application that appears as of now is the showcase.

jrod2183

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm still rocking .6.2 and was wondering if its worth it to make the jump. Loving my setup right now (although sd card is extremely slow to load app data on boot up) and don't want to redo all my icons etc. if theres not a whole lot going on with .8.4.

kevdog

Reaction score
Where can I find themes to install over the top of this ROM? Ive done a base install with no theme and everything looks good?

Also is the process of changing the eri.xml file the same as usual (hex editor along with 7zip or winrar or similar program)? I was hoping the process of altering the eri.xml file to change "verizon wireless" would be included within the gems package!!

Any plans to add the haptic feedback hack as mentioned here???:
Haptic feedback 5.0.8 - full rom or patch - CyanogenMod Forum

It looks like this would be a great edition.

Any plans for dropbear ssh or similar such implementation?

Last edited: