Features, and Bug-Fixes, and Themes, OH MY! Sapphire - 0.8.4

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
How is everyones battery life so far with this Rom. My phone been on since 930am today and now its 330pm and its at 70%. I am using stock kernel. dancedroid

DeeMat

Reaction score
How is everyones battery life so far with this Rom. My phone been on since 930am today and now its 330pm and its at 70%. I am using stock kernel. dancedroid

I took mine off the charger around 6AM and came home around 6PM with it showing 50%. I am very happy with this ROM - using stock kernel.

captdroid

Reaction score
I apologize if I missed this somewhere. Is there some easy way of making compcache start automatically upon reboot (rather than having to start it from a terminal every time)?

How about making a file called 90_compcache and dropping it in the /system/etc/init.d directory:
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
/system/xbin/compcache on

Thanks! Did this via ADB. ED is your friend :)

dan.wright

Reaction score
i am not sure what the issue is, but if someone can file a bug at Bugzilla Main Page and include the logcat output during a FC (start adb logcat, run market, after the FC stop adb logcat, copy the output to a file and attach it to the bug), that would make me determining the problem much easier, as i cannot see it on my device.

Sorry for my delayed response. I was all ready to capture logs, but after redownloading all files on my comp and overwriting the phone downloads just in case, it loaded without issue. I'm going to attribute it to a bum file, but it's probably just my phone, or just me :icon_eek:, although I followed the same steps I had the previous 10 times.

Either way, things are working great now, thanks for another great release.

Dan

captdroid

Reaction score
Just got back to the forum. I didn't mean to create a big issue with my question about compcache.

It is definitely working for me. Over several reboots, I have checked compcache stats and gotten stats for a running compcache.

To address a couple of the recent questions: I have the file named 90_compcache as per Se7enLC's original suggestion.

For those of you with problems, the main things I would check are to make sure that your file is in PLAIN text (not Rich Text or some other format), that it does not have any extension (such as .txt) and that the permissions are correct.

User, group and others need to have permission to execute and read the file. User, group and others should be set to not have permission to write the file for safety. I looked it up and kevdog is correct. To change the permissions from the terminal it would be:

su
chmod 555 /system/etc/init.d/90_compcache

the permissions should then be rx-rx-rx if you check.

Good luck!

Via ADB with your phone plugged into the computer.

Type:

adb shell
cd /system/etc/init.d

Enter pwd and make sure it shows folder /system/etc/init.d

Now enter:

sysrw
ed

Then enter:

a
#!/system/bin/sh
/system/xbin/compcache on
w 90_compcache

Then enter: cat ./90_compcache

You should see the script file contents you typed into ed and saved as 90_compcache file.

Finally enter: chmod 555 ./90_compcache

Then type exit and reboot your phone.

You can also do this through terminal on the phone of course. I just prefer using a pc keyboard.

:)

Mikejl

Reaction score
Just got back to the forum. I didn't mean to create a big issue with my question about compcache.

It is definitely working for me. Over several reboots, I have checked compcache stats and gotten stats for a running compcache.

To address a couple of the recent questions: I have the file named 90_compcache as per Se7enLC's original suggestion.

For those of you with problems, the main things I would check are to make sure that your file is in PLAIN text (not Rich Text or some other format), that it does not have any extension (such as .txt) and that the permissions are correct.

User, group and others need to have permission to execute and read the file. User, group and others should be set to not have permission to write the file for safety. I looked it up and kevdog is correct. To change the permissions from the terminal it would be:

su

Good luck!
I've been trying to get this to work on and off all afternoon. It just doesn't want to take.

I created the text file with notepad in windows 7. There are no carriage returns. The syntax is perfect. the permissions are correct. I used Root Explorer to move the file to init.d directory.

It shouldn't make any difference that I'm using Better Terminal Editor.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

captdroid

Reaction score

su

Good luck!
I've been trying to get this to work on and off all afternoon. It just doesn't want to take.

I created the text file with notepad in windows 7. There are no carriage returns. The syntax is perfect. the permissions are correct. I used Root Explorer to move the file to init.d directory.

It shouldn't make any difference that I'm using Better Terminal Editor, right?

Thanks,
Mike

See post just above yours. Nice and easy. If you do it through terminal on the phone then type in su instead of adb shell in the instruction.

Mikejl

Reaction score

su

Good luck!

Thanks,
Mike

See post just above yours. Nice and easy. If you do it through terminal on the phone then type in su instead of adb shell in the instruction.
I will give this a shot. I haven't used adb yet. This is a good reason to install and fire it up.

Thanks,
Mike

captdroid

Reaction score

Thanks,
Mike

I will give this a shot. I haven't used adb yet. This is a good reason to install and fire it up.

Thanks,
Mike

Good luck... Before typing in exit and rebooting your phone you can type in ls -l to see the files in /system/etc/init.d permissions should show -r-xr-xr-x

fgw

Reaction score
ROM Manager completely messed up my upgrade

Just a suggestion, download just the base Rom first then make a backup so you can fall back to a clean install. Then download from this post all the extras.
On version 0.7 there were a few people myself included who could not install the Gapps fix at the same time as the Rom.

Hmm....looks awesome...flashing now through Rom Manager....Thanx guys...you never disappoint

EDIT: downloaded through Rom Manager with black bar, p3s lv 1.2ghz kernel, gapps and market fix...it booted and started to sync but began rebooting...apparently my phone doesnt like the p3lv kernels

People have also had problems not wiping when coming from 0.7.0. Mainly not being able to get passed the green android to sign in. Though people have had more problems with ROM Manager, so I suggest booting into either SPR or clockwork and manually installing that way.

Last night I posted a really dumb question - where is GEM settings? However, I had (I thought) installed .8.4. Checked all the boxes in ROM Manager, including backup and data and cache wipe. Came up with a phone with no apps, none of them reloaded but I thought I had .8.4 - hence the dumb question. However, GEM Settings were nowhere to be found and the phone was acting weird. Restored from a backup and did the whole thing again. Restored again because the phone was acting odd and I needed some sleep.

Got up this morning and tried it 2 more times through ROM Manager - carefully checking all the right boxes. Lost root and - finally - checked the version. I had Sapphire .7 unrooted with no apps :icon_evil:.

Finally went through Clockwork - installed .84 and GAPPS. Wow - everything worked and most of my apps installed. Flashed Nextang and all is well again.

So - sorry for the really dumb question last night but I was really baffled as to why I could not find GEM settings.

Love Sapphire, glad that it all works, and would suggest that no one try to use ROM manager to install the update.

captdroid

Reaction score
Just a suggestion, download just the base Rom first then make a backup so you can fall back to a clean install. Then download from this post all the extras.
On version 0.7 there were a few people myself included who could not install the Gapps fix at the same time as the Rom.

People have also had problems not wiping when coming from 0.7.0. Mainly not being able to get passed the green android to sign in. Though people have had more problems with ROM Manager, so I suggest booting into either SPR or clockwork and manually installing that way.

Last night I posted a really dumb question - where is GEM settings? However, I had (I thought) installed .8.4. Checked all the boxes in ROM Manager, including backup and data and cache wipe. Came up with a phone with no apps, none of them reloaded but I thought I had .8.4 - hence the dumb question. However, GEM Settings were nowhere to be found and the phone was acting weird. Restored from a backup and did the whole thing again. Restored again because the phone was acting odd and I needed some sleep.

Got up this morning and tried it 2 more times through ROM Manager - carefully checking all the right boxes. Lost root and - finally - checked the version. I had Sapphire .7 unrooted with no apps :icon_evil:.

Finally went through Clockwork - installed .84 and GAPPS. Wow - everything worked and most of my apps installed. Flashed Nextang and all is well again.

So - sorry for the really dumb question last night but I was really baffled as to why I could not find GEM settings.

Love Sapphire, glad that it all works, and would suggest that no one try to use ROM manager to install the update.

I installed Sapphire 0.8.4 using ROM Manager checking off selections... clearing data/cache, kernel choice, market hack, install gapps... it then rebooted and installed first time no problem all apps synced and loaded from the market place.

jimmiet

Reaction score

It's been my experience that ROM Manager, SPRecovery and Clockwork Mod work on phones like using different kernals, on some phones they work fine, on others they just don't mix well. So telling people not to use it at all takes away from the people who have spent countless hours creating them for the community, and without them we'd be S.O.L.. Just my opinion anyway.

fgw

Reaction score
Jimmiet - you are right and what I said was a little strong. I have used ROM Manager successfully multiple times and really enjoy using it. That was one of the reasons that I never suspected I was having a problem.

No intent to insult the developer because I like ROM Manager. Instead, I will say that if you are having a problem after using ROM Manager, might want to try an alternative method.

RevivaL

Reaction score
so how can I install the google apps update? this is a little knew to me, I installed .8.4 but now am lost on installing the gapps

edit - nevermind, figured it out

Last edited: