Droid X drop frequency compared to other Verizon phones?

amz

Reaction score
I'm considering the Droid X. I've been on Verizon (VZW) for five years. My first, non-smart phone used to drop so many calls in my house that I had to get a land line. Then I upgraded to the Blackberry Storm and I rarely drop calls in my house now. I'm wondering if the same will be true for the Droid X.

In your experience, has the Droid X been dropping more or less calls than other VZW phones that you've used? The ideal response would be:

"I used to drop calls quite frequently when calling from ______ (some place with a less than ideal signal). My Droid drops ____________ (more or fewer) calls when I call from this same location."

Thanks!

avt123

Reaction score
I haven't dropped a call with my Droid since I got it in December, and I haven't dropped a call on my Droid X since I got it on release day (July 15th). I live in NY. Hope this helps.

Claudia P

Reaction score
I don't do a lot of talking on the phone so have only had one call at home since I got it last week.
I live in a very flakey signal area and every other phone I've had including the BlackBerry has been really bad about dropping calls. I would have to find a decent signal area, usually upstairs, and hold really still or I would drop the call.
With my DX I was able to walk through the entire house even the basement and not lose the call. This was with no bars showing in some of the places I walked.

I'm pretty impressed with the call quality.

ben.keen

Reaction score
I've been using the DX for about 2 weeks now. During this time I drove from Philly to Pittsburgh after a family visit and made plenty of phone calls. In the past I would travel this same route and drop calls when in the valleys but I noticed that my DX maintained signal and I didn't drop any calls. I lost 3G connection for a for minutes here and there but I never lost full signal. People have told me that my calls are a lot clearer too on their end.

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
the droid x reception and sound clarity is by far better than my blackberry storm device was.

ben.keen

Reaction score
the droid x reception and sound clarity is by far better than my blackberry storm device was.

I think the one thing people should keep in mind about BlackBerrys is that they were first developed as a two way messenging device and a phone second. Moto on the other hand started with voice then moved to data. The noise cancellation microphone on the top of the DX is great. I was just outside and its pretty windy and the person on the other side said they couldn't tell. Overall, I never been happier with a smartphone as I am with the DX.r

Orio

Reaction score
I used to get dropped calls on my BlackBerry...but not very often. I have not had a single dropped call since I got my Droid X on July 15th !!! dancedroid

cypherx82

Reaction score
I've only dropped two calls...

And they were both in the middle of nowhere in the woods where nobody with any carrier gets a signal.

Usually you can't even make calls. I'll take calls that drop after a few mintues over no calls any day.

cypherx82

Reaction score

I think the one thing people should keep in mind about BlackBerrys is that they were first developed as a two way messenging device and a phone second. Moto on the other hand started with voice then moved to data. The noise cancellation microphone on the top of the DX is great. I was just outside and its pretty windy and the person on the other side said they couldn't tell. Overall, I never been happier with a smartphone as I am with the DX.r

I work in Manhattan, and I was calling someone while walking home. It was raining and traffic was backed up so there were horns, wind, and the noise from the torrential rain hitting the ground. The person on the line couldn't hear a thing.

Then a FDNY truck came through sirens and horns blaring, but I can't blame Moto for that. :p

dangerous

Reaction score
I was in Wisconsin last week on Vacation. Service there was so bad (with VZW) I NOW know what it's like to be an "IPHONE" user.

I dropped calls better than 50% of the time. In AZ it's fine though.

helmsleyl

Reaction score
keep in mind that a dropped call can also be caused by the person you're calling. and chances are they're on at&t

velvet005

Reaction score
I live in a very rural area and I used to drop calls with my BB curve all the time. I may have dropped one call since I got the DX but I'm not even sure it was my phone that dropped the call. I have had much much better reception with the DX than I have any other phone at my house.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I work in a bad reception area. My Droid would drop calls at certain areas in my building at work. My X doesnt. I feel my Droid had better reception of any phone I recently had. My X gets better reception than my Droid.

My Droid was a work horse for reception; my X is a harder working horse...lol

Last edited:

69copo

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Big Red complaining about the call quality. I took my dog for a walk and completely lost the call. I tried to call again and was unable to connect. I walk the same route every night (creature of habit), and never dropped a call on my old Storm 2. I don't mean to knock the DX but come on. I live in the suburbs and have been losing calls and signal left and right. It's to the point where if I see 3 bars I get excited. For some reason though I always get data? When I talked to VZW the had me do a reset and wipe on the phone and it didn't help. When I'm in my house it works fine. Perplexing to say the least. I just don't know what to do, I use my phone for business and make calls constantly, so much so that I bought and extra battery and often need to swap during the day. I hate to say it but if it doesn't clear up in a couple of days my daughter will get the DX and I'm going back to RIM.:frown::frown: