Droid X Reception: is it good or bad?

joezek

Reaction score
I'm just getting out of the HTC Incredible brand and upgrading to the DX.

Originally I had an iphone, and at my house the reception sucked so bad I couldn't make a phone call without dropping calls. Finally dropped AT&T and went with Verizon since they had better coverage in my area. I started with the original Droid phone by Motorola. The reception was 100% perfect at my house and everywhere else. 3 weeks later the DINC came out, and I had to have it. So I exchanged it and brought home the new Incredible.

Well that turned out to be the absolute dumbest/worst thing I've ever done in regards to buying a cell phone. The DINC doesn't even connect to the verizon network from my house- even though the Droid does, and 3 other friends verizon phones connect 100% signal.

I just wasted 4 months fighting with Verizon to replace the incredible, no luck until they recently gave me another refurbished unit. It still didn't work until I gave up and installed Froyo on it with the newest radio/baseband. Now it partially works from home.

I've been asking around and so far no complaints about the reception with the DX, and Motorola says its the same antenna as the Droid 1.

Last weekend at a party, side by side my DINC vs a DX, the DX had full antenna strength and the DINC had zero bars, and I couldn't even understand my voice mail because the reception sucked so badly. This is with Froyo installed on mine.

So hows the reception on the Droid X?

F

fabricred

i came from a D1 which was a great phone but then moved to the DX so i could have the latest and greatest its been about a month now and as far as i can tell its just as good if not better. im still running 2.1

E.J.

Reaction score
You will definately be happy with the DX and it's reception. I've had numerous verizon phones that didn't work that great in my house. But this DX works well anywhere in the house and no dropped calls since I've had it....about a month.

Nadious

Reaction score
Can only speak coming from a Storm 1, but my X hasn't dropped a call yet where my Storm used to ALWAYS drop calls in the same spots on the way home. I don't know if VZW upgraded the coverage in my area, but I have a feeling that the reception on the phone is MUCH better than what I had. I hardly EVER get dropped calls since moving to the X, period.

donaldkunze

Reaction score
Yep. The reception is very good with the X. I have done a few comparisons because I use the phone for internet for everybody in my whole house. It gets better coverage with both data and talk than the eris, D1 and the blackberry storm. Easily.

Using it as a WIFI hotspot is awesome.

droidphreak

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem you had with the Dinc. I could hardly understand people on the other end of a call. I found myself asking them to repeat what they said often. I now have the DX... WOW its night and day. The DX is so clear and easy to hear not to mention my signal is full where the Dinc would fail. Im very happy I made the switch. Im sure you will too.

Last edited:
OP
joezek

joezek

Reaction score
Thats great info guys, awesome. Tomorrow I should have my new phone. If the guy paid the extra $12 for sunday delivery like I paid him to, then I may have it Sunday instead of tuesday if not tomorrow.

cshellyg

Reaction score
I have the incredible and have been sent at least 2 replacements and a net work adapter since I've had an unimaginable no of dropped calls. So for me it's horrible. I love the everything about it but the phone.
Now since the update, my emails are disappearing and my calendar won't let me edit.
It's so frustrating.
I now know Verizon's no. buy heart.
After countless calls I finally got word that there is no plan to upgrade the towers for at least 5 years.
I can see the tower from my house. It's 2 1/2 or 3 miles away. That's it. It's the mountains.
What I want to know is if there is another phone similar that will work as a phone as well because this does not.
I can have 10 dropped calls a day.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
if you have a bad reception in your house you can contact verizon and have them check the network in your area. in many cases they'll send you a free signal amplifier for your home.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
The X is slightly better on reception than my D1, which was great...
About 10x better than the DI I had.

pumbaa

Reaction score
Well of course if you hold it the wrong way your reception will be really bad...

Oh wait....

Wrong phone... BUt if you beleive what Steve is saying....

Nahhhhhhhh....

:blackdroid:

Reaction score
I too had a D.Inc. *no reception in my house. *The X is much better. *I wouldn't say great, but definitely better than the Incredible. *I can at least use it as a phone. *:)

I do miss my Incredible though... :(

OP
joezek

joezek

Reaction score
I finally received my DX last week and it's frikin awesome. It works perfectly everywhere I travel on a daily basis. It works from home, with no dropped calls and no unclear signals. The incredible would NOT even make phone calls from home, it was a piece of crap. All the places that my incredible got zero signal or 1 bar, the DX has almost full signal. Not that the bars really matter, but the proof lies in the fact that I can now make unlimited calls without being dropped and without the other person only hearing every other word. The incredible was soo bad that I had to get in my car and drive 2-3 miles north to get a signal from the nearest tower, or else not make calls from home...

I'm so glad I got the DX, will never look back or regret getting rid of the "incredible". The incredible is a toy compared to the DX. So far I see absolutely nothing better about the incredible, DX has everything I want, including being able to make a simple phone call without having dropped calls.

The huge display is great for watching movies and playing games. And the HDMI output is a major plus. When we go camping I can use the NFL app to watch games, and use the HDMI output to hook up to our TV.

The battery seems better than the incredible, I get two days between charging if I don't play too many games/internet etc. I still don't have 2.2 yet but soon enough.

The HD camcorder is awesome as well, great pics and video especially with the 3 microphones built in.

anyways, it's too easy to ramble on about the DX, so that's it- phone reception is 10X better than the incredible and I proved it to myself.