Questions for Droid X owners

pool_shark

Reaction score
ive had 5 dx's since feb. every single one has had manufactures problems.

from nonworking hard buttons, to constant reboots, to screen distortion issues.

- gee what a great phone.....

none of them has ever dropped a call tho.:icon_ banana:

I have had ONE X my entire time, the one I got when I upgraded.
Not one issue with the hardware, software has been kept to the OTA non-rooted. No issues, why muck with it???

I've only had one also, I did root because I wanted to take screenshots and wanted to install busybox. I don't have any interest in new ROMs or themes though.

xan

Reaction score
i guess if you luck out and get a good one the first time around your golden...but if you have to use your warranty (or asurion for that matter) your screwed.
im so sick of losing at refurb roulette.

only the first droid got rooted, but that was to get some soft keys installed cause the hard buttons broke.

izzo540

Reaction score
i guess if you luck out and get a good one the first time around your golden...but if you have to use your warranty (or asurion for that matter) your screwed.
im so sick of losing at refurb roulette.

only the first droid got rooted, but that was to get some soft keys installed cause the hard buttons broke.

1) Headphone jack does suck ass, its got contact pins on the left and right side of the jack, but for some reason the pins lose contact here and there, unfortunately your music doesnt tag back in because when the headphone is pulled [loses contact] the phone is set to turn off the music.. It gets a little annoying but just give the jack a good shift and blow here and there and ive lived with it.
2) Never dropped a call before, not unless I was in a tunnel or hiding out in a rural area, rarely do I see 1X unless I'm in a building [which i recently found out can use copper wire and such to restrict access to 3G and in some cases 1X as well]
3) I have had the phone since august, this is my first one. what a phone. you drop an iphone on marshmellows and the screen cracks like you hit it with a bus, not the droid.. concrete drop left it with 2 scratches on the side screen unscathed..

4) ROOT ROOT ROOT ROOT: You can do so much with this phone aside from the locked bootloader the developers find something new and retarded or awesome to do everyday, if youre someone who likes to play around with your stuff all the time and you know how to fix it if you mess up and your patient. GET THIS PHONE

And last but not least:
i owned a lot of LG phones and moto phones for that matter, they all had that bug where after a while they just shut randomly or reboot on a regular basis.. droid X - never happened.

peacepeace

Natey2

Reaction score

Technoman

Reaction score
Have you had issues with the phone randomly freezing or dropped calls? The reason I wonder is because of a few reviews I've read on the Verizon site.

Depends. Do you reboot your phone daily?
The stock DroidX does have some memory/resource leaks if left running for extended periods. See
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...what-my-android-apps-doing-behind-scenes.html

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Funny, because I never just reboot my phone, and I don't exhibit any of those problems. Like I said, it could be a rouge APP, or something due to rooting and themes.

gmb92

Reaction score
Any Android or even iPhones for the matter should be rebooted every 2 days or so. This will help the operating system to run more efficient. This is not just a DX thing. I have a D1 which is the same way.
While I have had very little to no problems with my DX, my father's freezes alot and reboot. I am going to flash the GB leak on his and see if that fixes it. Mine is running soooo good on it. Fast and reliable..... also while not essential, I like to run fix permissions and then reboot every 2 days just to keep it happy!

GP56

Reaction score
How do you do this with nexus s mobiles

Sent from my Nexus S using DroidForums

gmb92

Reaction score
How do you do this with nexus s mobiles

Sent from my Nexus S using DroidForums

If you are asking how to fix permissions, you must be rooted.
The easiest way is to use the fix permissions option in an app like rom manager, or Root Tools by jrummy16. These are the ones I normally use. There are also scripts you can run in a terminal emulator, but you would need to look in the forums. I don't remember any of them.

Technoman

Reaction score
Any Android or even iPhones for the matter should be rebooted every 2 days or so. This will help the operating system to run more efficient. This is not just a DX thing. I have a D1 which is the same way.
While I have had very little to no problems with my DX, my father's freezes alot and reboot. I am going to flash the GB leak on his and see if that fixes it. Mine is running soooo good on it. Fast and reliable..... also while not essential, I like to run fix permissions and then reboot every 2 days just to keep it happy!

Had the OG Droid, rooted it, installed different ROM's... got burned out on all that. Got my Droid X, and it kicked the OG Droid to hell with the speed, overall operation, and "NEED to REBOOT". My X will reboot itself if and when the system needs to. That happens approximately 1 or 2 times per week. Other than that, it runs just fine. I am stock Froyo and not rooted.

Perhaps the problems are with ROOT and themes... and not the hardware or stock OS. Just saying it amazes me how many complain, and when you get the details they have the phone rooted, themes installed, and APP's that require root installed. Could be some conflicts between software happening there.

Last edited:

gmb92

Reaction score

Had the OG Droid, rooted it, installed different ROM's... got burned out on all that. Got my Droid X, and it kicked the OG Droid to hell with the speed, overall operation, and "NEED to REBOOT". My X will reboot itself if and when the system needs to. That happens approximately 1 or 2 times per week. Other than that, it runs just fine. I am stock Froyo and not rooted.

Perhaps the problems are with ROOT and themes... and not the hardware or stock OS. Just saying it amazes me how many complain, and when you get the details they have the phone rooted, themes installed, and APP's that require root installed. Could be some conflicts between software happening there.

I agree this is often the case.. my DX worked great out of the box.
I too got burned out on custom roms. I went back to stock for a while, but couldn't help but try the new Gingerbread leak. I love it and so far haven't had any problems... knock on Wood. It doesn't even need overclocking. Just my 4 cents
:)
PS.... My father's X is bone stock and does have the issues I mentioned above.

Last edited:

Natey2

Reaction score
Have you had issues with the phone randomly freezing or dropped calls? The reason I wonder is because of a few reviews I've read on the Verizon site.

Depends. Do you reboot your phone daily?
The stock DroidX does have some memory/resource leaks if left running for extended periods. See
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...what-my-android-apps-doing-behind-scenes.html

Funny, because I never just reboot my phone, and I don't exhibit any of those problems. Like I said, it could be a rouge APP, or something due to rooting and themes.

I am not rooted or themed. I even have animations turned off.

Resource leaks appear to be happening on background data sync.

A rogue app destabilizing the Android Operating System? Sounds like the OS better find a way to arrest the rogue app and recover "lost" resources. You know, maybe a little more like Windows 7, instead of like Windows 3.x :)

What is the max uptime on your phone?

Add your input here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-forum/123460-how-long-since-last-restart.html

Last edited:

Natey2

Reaction score

My previous Windows Mobile 6 phone SGH-i617 did not need to be rebooted like this.
What you are suggesting is that Android and iOS are like Microsoft Windows 3.x back in those days.

Snow02

Reaction score
There is an issue with the stock software that will cause most phones to reboot at least occasionally. Some definitely more than others. Motorola seems to have fixed this in their gingerbread release. It's ridiculously stable and fast.

reuuin88

Reaction score
Picked mine up release day and I can say its the best phone I've ever bought. It was my first "smart" phone and it has not let me down one single bit. I never have connectivity problems(3g). Since discovering rooting and custom roms its become even better, still scoring in benchmarks amongst some of the newest technology. Go for it man. You won't be disappointed.

Natey2

Reaction score
There is an issue with the stock software that will cause most phones to reboot at least occasionally. Some definitely more than others. Motorola seems to have fixed this in their gingerbread release. It's ridiculously stable and fast.

As soon as I get my OTA 2.3 update, I'll be running aLogcat to see what GB is up to, and report any similar problems to what I saw in 2.2.1 here.