Droid to Incredible? Should I and how to do it.

chmcclellan

Reaction score
This touches on so many topics, had no idea where to post.

Since finding these forums last week, I have rooted my droid and upgraded to Kangerade Froyo - its amazing, like a new phone.

Anyway, I also found out that my fiancee (on our shared plan) is up for an upgrade, I am considering giving her my droid (which she is constantly using) and getting an incredible - I don't care about the slide keyboard all that much and the faster chip would be awesome. So, the questions:

- Should I go for the incredible, or wait for the X or 2?

- If I do, when I bring the droid in to have it switched to her line, will the fact that I rooted it get me in trouble?

- If yes, can I unroot it? To re-root for her can I just go to a backup or will the line change make that impossible?

- Apps: will they be transferrable or will I need to re-purchase?

Sorry for the omnibus post, feel free to yell at for not searching and point me to threads for the various points. Just about to go out of comission for a few hours and was hoping to generate some discussion to read when I land in DC.

Best,
Christian

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

cpjr

Reaction score
Wait for the X.

Verizon wont even notice its rooted, just to swap #'s, it doesnt matter.

Your apps are connected to your gmail account - not the phone.

dclutter1

Reaction score
This touches on so many topics, had no idea where to post.

Since finding these forums last week, I have rooted my droid and upgraded to Kangerade Froyo - its amazing, like a new phone.

Anyway, I also found out that my fiancee (on our shared plan) is up for an upgrade, I am considering giving her my droid (which she is constantly using) and getting an incredible - I don't care about the slide keyboard all that much and the faster chip would be awesome. So, the questions:

- If I do, when I bring the droid in to have it switched to her line, will the fact that I rooted it get me in trouble?

- If yes, can I unroot it? To re-root for her can I just go to a backup or will the line change make that impossible?

Sorry for the omnibus post, feel free to yell at for not searching and point me to threads for the various points. Just about to go out of comission for a few hours and was hoping to generate some discussion to read when I land in DC.

Best,
Christian

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Wait. At the very least, you should take a look at the DX and D2. Don't lock yourself in to an Inc when new and, potentially, better things are right around the corner.

Switch the Droid to her number online or over the phone.

Last edited:

brando56894

Reaction score

id say wait, since the incredible is pretty much out of commission now (theyre not selling it anymore and will probably phase it out eventually) so id say wait and get the droid 2 if you love your current droid or get the x if you want something better.

you will have to go back to stock, AFAIK you wont get into any (legal) trouble but theyll refuse to touch it if its rooted.

you can definitely unroot but as far as switching i doubt you could since theres different drivers needed for each phone, you would probably only be able to transfer /data at the most (and obviously the sdcard)

theyre linked to your google account, so if you use the same account on both phones then yes theyre transferable, if not than no :)

Bdog

Reaction score
Wait for the Droid X, definitely. Incredible seems better specs-wise, but it's not a Droid. It's an HTC. What the Eris SHOULD have been..

And when you go in to switch numbers, make sure you flash back to stock and unroot. VZW reps are being trained to check your settings to find out if you're rooted or not, and there'e been word of them cancelling accounts because of it.

cpjr

Reaction score
I swapped from a droid to incredible few weeks ago...in store, didnt even pull the fully rooted, custom ROM droid out of my pocket to swap #'s

Bdog

Reaction score
Oh yeah. You can do that too. Just do not place a rooted Droid into a Verizon representative's hand.

cpjr

Reaction score
They really cant to anything at all but refuse warranty service, thats it.

Bdog

Reaction score
Evidently, now they flag your account, and tell you they can't help you with your phone, and suggest you call some help number, and on there, they cancel your account, and still charge you the cancellation fee.

cpjr

Reaction score
Thats a scare tactic, they cant cancel your account for screwing with your phone.

They can void your warranty, thats all.

Bdog

Reaction score
Well, I know 3 VZW reps, and they've all said the same thing about this training. Scare tactic or not, I wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

doesn't help they are very tricky about getting you to hand them your phone either. yestrerday I went with my brother to pay his bill to a new store that didn't have the kiosk, and they tried to get ahold of his phone to use it to get the password to his account.. Something I've NEVER heard of before, and I've been with VZW for a good 6 years now

Yodes

Reaction score
id say wait, since the incredible is pretty much out of commission now (theyre not selling it anymore and will probably phase it out eventually).

There is absolutely no proven truth to this statement. That document floating around on the web has been deemed a fake by both XDA and HoFo. If they were no longer selling them my friend couldn't have just ordered one this morning. Please get your facts straight before taking speculation as statements of fact.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Bdog

Reaction score
Yodes, that could have meant that they it has been discontinued, and are just selling off what's left in stock. I've heard about Incredible dying off already as well.

Yodes

Reaction score
Well if we are speculating on dying phones... I heard the Droid is.going to stop selling tomorrow. Doesn't matter what you say. I heard it so it must be true.

Just because you heard it doesn't prove its validity. And if they were just going to sell out remaining stock you couldn't even order it anymore. Because it is currently out of stock. If Verizon were going to sell of remaining inventory they wouldn't let you order it forcing them to repurchase inventory.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk