Should I upgrade now and Keep the NE2???

altimax98

Reaction score
So what do you guys think..... heres my situation:

I bought two D1's last January 10th... My line is currently elgible for upgrade today on that one year deal. My wife doesnt care for her D1 and wants a Incredible.... SO... with verizon getting rid of NE2 im planning on:

Upgrading my line with the INC and activating it on her line (which the CS rep said i can do). Her line would then have a NE2 in 9/2012 & a 1 year upgrade that I can use 1/2012. I really want a Bionic, but I think it will be better to wait for 4g until 9/2011 when her line is elgible for upgrade... what do you think?

1: Get INC now and have a upgrade avalible 9/11, 1/12, 9/12 and wait till 9/11 to upgrade to 4g on my phone.. or

2: Dont upgrade now and have upgrades avalible 4/11 (when i upgrade my line on a bionic) and 9/11 and not have another until 4/13

...... decisions decisions.......

OP
A

altimax98

Reaction score
Yeah shes hated the D1 since I got it for her, she always complained it's bulky... Do I figured I would keep my, NE2 and one year ability to upgrade and pass on first gen 4G

Sent from one of those missing Droids

masez34

Reaction score
From my understanding of the NE2 upgrade, no matter what you do, it is going away, if you get your new plan before 1/16/2011 you get that upgrade and that is it, if you wait till after 1/16/2011 you have I think 60 days to use it, and after that it will also be gone,

I may have missunderstood the VZW tech person I was talking too and also the person at my local store, but that is what I got from it,

Beka27

Reaction score
5 things to know:
1. All customers who activate / upgrade on a qualifying plan prior to January 16th, 2011 are enrolled in NE2 (New Every 2) and eligible to use the NE2 discount for up to six months from the date they become eligible.
2. Any customer who uses an NE2 credit or Annual Upgrade after January 16, 2011 will no longer be eligible for either program. On March 6, 2011, VZW systems will be updated to reflect this.
3. All customers who exercise the NE2 or Annual Upgrade option on or after January 16th will receive a letter notifying them that it was their last NE2 or Annual Upgrade.
4. Business customers continue to receive either the two-year corporate matrix tiered device pricing or two-year retail device pricing per contract.
5. Customers will now be eligible for promotional pricing after 20 months on a 2-year contract and 10 months on a 1-year contract.
We are also hearing that the $100 credit that was included in the current NE2 deal will no longer be provided. It looks like promotional pricing is all you will get when eligible for an upgrade. We should also point out that more and more phones are offered for free these days, but still.

^^^Copy and paste from the verizon upgrade thread in "Droid news" forum. Number 1 says that if you upgrade prior to the 16th you will get one more NE2 discount when you become eligible in 20 months.

(from Beka's DX)

masez34

Reaction score
well it seems that I totally miss-understood who I was talking with, thanks for the clarification and great post,

DroidLvr73

Reaction score
Sounds like a poor business move on VW's part IMHO. Guess because it affects people like myself trying to avoid shelling out $600 on a phone every year or so. Of course there are many people who HAVE to have the newest thing out and would pay double if need be. Suppose that is what VW is banking on. I have one upgrade left then it seems. Am eligible now to use it but instead bought a used D1 and decided to save it for the Bionic. Have two other accounts that are on the NE2 program. Eligible at the end of this year and middle of Q2 of next. I take it that means those $100 credits will be lost and just will be able to get "promotion" pricing instead? Well thankfully there is Wirefly, Amazon, etc... I am sure there "promotional" pricing will be much better as it always is. dancedroid

Beka27

Reaction score
Those existing lines SHOULD still get their NE2 discounts since the discount is actually a part of the contract. I have the NE2 discount as well, and I am expecting it to be given to me June of 2012 when I am eligible for it. As long as the contract was signed PRIOR to the Jan 16th cut-off, nothing should change.

(Of course, we'll see when that time rolls around...)

OP
A

altimax98

Reaction score
I spoke with a fairly knowledgeable rep last night and he said as long as I do it before the 16th im bound by contact and have the annual upgrade on line one and two more NE2 contracts to use....

Needless to say a incredible is going to be here tomorrow

Sent from one of those missing Droids

jefbystereo

Reaction score
So this would indicate that if you are eligible for an upgrade, you should use it before the 16th so that you get one more in 2 years. Is that correct?

Beka27

Reaction score
So this would indicate that if you are eligible for an upgrade, you should use it before the 16th so that you get one more in 2 years. Is that correct?

IF you want a current phone and are not holding out for one of the new models.

(from Beka's DX)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
6 months and the NE2 is gone

From my understanding of the NE2 upgrade, no matter what you do, it is going away, if you get your new plan before 1/16/2011 you get that upgrade and that is it, if you wait till after 1/16/2011 you have I think 60 days to use it, and after that it will also be gone,

I may have missunderstood the VZW tech person I was talking too and also the person at my local store, but that is what I got from it,

DroidForums Junkie!!