Upgrade Confusion

GrillMouster

Reaction score
Background: Wife and I have family share plan with contract ending 11/2011. I'm the primary with a Droid. She's secondary with a regular phone, but she wants a smartphone. I promised one as a Mothers Day/ birthday gift and I've been dragging my feet hoping that an upgrade promotion would come along.

I tried several times, unsuccessfully, to get an early upgrade with the last few promos VZW has had. I called VZW this morning and was told by the rep that we both would be eligible for an early upgrade, but he needed to clear something with his supervisor and he'd call me back. I wasn't sure if what he told me was correct, because I shouldn't be eligible for an annual upgrade until November, and because my wife is a secondary line, she shouldn't be eligible until her NE2 early upgrade in 7/2011. I wasn't going to look a gift-horse in the mouth, so I kept my mouth shut and waited to hear back. The rep just called and said that we'd both be eligible for an upgrade in August, not now.

Now I don't really understand what's going on. August is neither the 12th, 20th, or 24th month of our contract (those are the months I should be eligible for an annual upgrade, NE2 early upgrade, and the contract end month). I dont understand the significance of August and why we'd both be eligible then. I wouldn't call us "high value" or "high risk" customers. If we were, then we should be eligible for an upgrade now, with the current promotion.

The only thing I can think of is that there will be a special promotion (maybe for current droid owners) coinciding with the release of the Droid 2 in August.

Last edited:
OP
G

GrillMouster

Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking. I'll call back in August and be told that I have to wait until my annual upgrade date in November. :icon_evil:

If that happens I'll just get the 2Ghz LTE beast and give my droid to my wife. She can then upgrade eight months later with NE2.

Last edited: