Should I hang up my Droid, for the incredible??

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
By the way, using LauncherPro along with being OCed to 1.25 ghz, my Droid now moves between homescreens just as smoothly as the Incredible does.

OP
G

geronimogman

Reaction score
I think the gpu made me appreciate my droid...when i went to the sales rep he looked at the keyboard on my droid and said that i am lucky, i have one of the rare...(bubbly Keyboards) apparently everyone elses is flat and harder to use..where mine are round and standout..I guess my droid is SUPER SPECIAL!

mcapozzi

Reaction score
Totally digging the Droid, I'd hold off.

Heck, I just bought my Droid two days ago, I don't see any lag whatsoever. I don't get why people think the Droid is slow. I just upgraded from an HTC Hero, I KNOW what lag is...

-Mike

tameone

Reaction score
Don't waste your upgrade on a phone that's only marginally (debatable) better. If you haven't yet, root and overclock and you'll forget all about the Incredible.

Wait to see what the summer has in store (Droid 2, Shadow, etc).

mcapozzi

Reaction score
Boy you should have seen the flamewar that started on Android Central when I basically stated that the Incredible is a marginal upgrade over the Droid.

+1 to rooting and overclocking.

-Mike

GrillMouster

Reaction score
I wouldn't upgrade my droid to the incredible. Running BBv1 at 1000 mhz my home screen switching feels pretty smooth to me. I don't see a big enough improvement to upgrade now. Plus, if upgrading meant pushing back my contract end date and the date I'm eligible for another upgrade, I definitely wouldn't do it. I don't want to miss out on the Droid 2, Droid Extreme, Droid Pro, or whatever it will be because I jumped for a marginal improvement to the Incredible.

My current dilemma is whether I should get the droid or incredible for my wife, who now wants to upgrade from a regular (non-smart) phone.

mcapozzi

Reaction score
I wouldn't upgrade my droid to the incredible. Running BBv1 at 1000 mhz my home screen switching feels pretty smooth to me. I don't see a big enough improvement to upgrade now. Plus, if upgrading meant pushing back my contract end date and the date I'm eligible for another upgrade, I definitely wouldn't do it. I don't want to miss out on the Droid 2, Droid Extreme, Droid Pro, or whatever it will be because I jumped for a marginal improvement to the Incredible.

My current dilemma is whether I should get the droid or incredible for my wife, who now wants to upgrade from a regular (non-smart) phone.

Well, she always has 30 days to decide for sure.

I find that people who have fingernails (i.e. women) prefer hardware keyboards.

-Mike

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Droid overclocked to 1.2 with LauncherPro, there is no lag...seriously. lol

griswolds53

Reaction score
i switched and am glad i did. It may not be a huge performance boost...but it is light years better for me. It is lighter, pocketable, and has much better call quality. I went through 2 motodroids. the call quality was still sucky. Most important to me is that it does not feel like a brick in my pocket. Sure its not metal like the motodroid, but i do not miss that and feel that it has good build quality.

I never used the keyboard anyway...and really never met anyone in person that does. Just the people on these boards who "swear" that they use it. That said, i guess it matters as to why you want to switch. It was the right choice for me...others will disagree. :)

nyijedi

Reaction score
I too was considering switching from my Droid to the Incredible, but these 3 points are what made me decide to stay with my Moto Droid. If none of these are an issue for you, I'd probably suggest switching:

1) I really like having my physical keyboard, and I use it all the time. I would miss it.

2) With my Droid rooted, overclocked to 1 GHz, and running Bugless Beast 1.0, my Droid flies compared to my stock setup. I'm not saying it's faster than the Incredible, but the speed bump certainly puts it right on the same page as the Incredible. I'd love that extra RAM that the Incredible has, but it's not a big enough deal that would make me upgrade.

3) I do not want Sense. I like stock Android, and I like the fact that stock Android phones will most likely be updated (ahem...Froyo please?) faster than skinned phones. Actually, I've been seriously contemplating switching to Sprint for the EVO ( I LOVE the 4.3" screen), but I really don't want a Sense device.

Summation: If you don't use the physical keyboard, don't mind Sense, and don't want to overclock, I'd suggest getting the Incredible. Otherwise, I'd stay put with the Droid until a phone having a bigger leap in specs comes along.

Droid_3.0

Reaction score
I would never sell my Droid with ultimate droid new Era with P3 Droids 800 kennel sure the incredible is lighter but i like it if i droid my phone i know it wouldn't break in two but hay thats just me is you money you choice.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
i think the Moto Droid is going to have a long life past its cycle, mainly due to its large following (see the G1, still being modded and hacked to this day!)

the incredible may have a better cpu (debatable) and has a nicer form factor (Also debatable), but it will end up becoming just another phone. the incredible is also faster within homescreens, but not faster in most apps...

i would save your upgrade for a 4g phone :D (or the droid II)

all imho

I agree with the conclusion, i.e. waiting for a 4G phone, but not the premise. In fact, I'm old enough to recall arguments over whether MS-DOS would replace CP/M. At the time it was obvious that the HUGE installed base of CP/M couldn't be overcome with an upstart like DOS.

CP/M disappeared in six months. (Though to be fair, there were still CP/M fans for some years until they all died.)

Bottom line. If you're satisfied with the Droid (as I am), there's little reason to upgrade to the Incredible. But if you're coming to the android platform for the first time, the old rule of buying the most up-to-date hardware applies.