Droid Tether Speed

Screenit

Reaction score
I know it's not officially available yet, but does anyone know or has anyone heard what the connection speeds will be for the tethered connection on the Motorola Droid (will it be the same as Internet browsing within the phone, or will it be slowed down when using the Droid as a modem for a laptop)?

the3dolla

Reaction score
i've tried it..

I've tried it on my Voyager and got 1.5Mbit down via the USB cable and 769Kbit down using bluetooth. This is with EVDO Rev.A. You can check this by going into settings and then I believe about phone and status, the scroll down to network type.

I'm guessing it can very, depending on use of people around you and how many bars you have. I've used the Speedtest app and it gave me 800Kbit minumum and up to 1.5Mbit. 800Kbit would be about 100KB/sec, so not too bad. Webpages will more or less load with ease.

nite 0wl

Reaction score
If you're running Linux try out Proxoid. There's a helpful thread on androidforums (Droid Tethering for all Operating Systems! (tested in Linux) - Android Forums) with links to a good Linux Magazine article which should get you going pretty quickly.

I got it setup and running on my EeePC 901 Linux edition in about ten minutes (including the time I spent waiting for the Android SDK and Eclipse plugins to download) with nothing more complicated than creating a couple of text files.

The newest version of Proxoid has the added bonus of being able to replace your PC's browser's user-agent string (the code that your browser sends to identify itself) with a dummy or a user specified string.

Last edited: