Tethering?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
......Where as on the storm you could choose that option if you wanted to. Once they get the program up and working then you should be able to add that option back on.

As a side note to this statement: Talk to any BB Storm user who upgraded to OS 5.0. VZAccess doesn't work for them either. (unless you install a version that is almost 2 years old)(I am one of them)

Well scratch another point off for BB, and they are now trailing by about 10 million.

randomyzed

Reaction score
Android developer here. Free tethering will come in full when the device can be rooted and we have low-level access. I assume most of you are familiar with the Wifi Tether android app?

adol7

Reaction score
PDANet has a new version out:
"New! Version 2.02 PR supports all new Android phones including Motorola Droid/Cliq, Samsung Galaxy/Moment and HTC Hero/Eris."

andjarnic

Reaction score
As the android developer above said.. there are ways to do this using the 3G network and USB connection. Since the phone itself can handle 3G and wifi, it's just a matter of routing the internal network guts to the USB connector and probably some sort of driver possibly on the computer to tether it to. Anything is possible. It's basically like sharing a network amongst two PCs... just has to be written. Someone mentioned jailbreak.. I am guessing you don't need to jailbreak an Android phone.. although to put a custom kernel on it, I am not sure what is required. It will most likely require a custom kernel update tho that Verizon wont offer, to get around the monthly fees for this feature.

biggestmexi

Reaction score
Android developer here. Free tethering will come in full when the device can be rooted and we have low-level access. I assume most of you are familiar with the Wifi Tether android app?
im not...please advise.

smin41

Reaction score
Of course not, those pigs at verizon are going to bang you for another $15 for tethering

dpw2atox

Reaction score
So i got Bluetooth Tethering working on my Mac using PdaNet, however i was unable to get it working via USB.

Has anyone had any success getting it to work over USB on a mac?

I dont think i should encounter too many issues, i do plan on paying for it when it becomes available. In the mean time i only need to use it on the weekends for some basic surfing and minor gaming during any downtime at work.

smilepak

Reaction score
So i got Bluetooth Tethering working on my Mac using PdaNet, however i was unable to get it working via USB.

Has anyone had any success getting it to work over USB on a mac?

I dont think i should encounter too many issues, i do plan on paying for it when it becomes available. In the mean time i only need to use it on the weekends for some basic surfing and minor gaming during any downtime at work.

So how stable is your bluetooth tethering?

dpw2atox

Reaction score
It seemed pretty stable, however i noticed that when i tried to go to some sites or load up world of warcraft to play online, i wasnt able to get to them. Maybe verizon is blocking some stuff for the Droid to discourage people from not paying for "official" tethering?

abooch1

Reaction score
I would love instructions on how you got bluetooth to work for you..

dpw2atox

Reaction score
sure, i installed PdaNet, launched the app, set the bluetooth dun option. Then on my mac i went to the system preferences, clicked the bluetooth preferences. Then i setup the device, did the pairing, etc. Once that was done, i went to the network manager, added a new connection as a bluetooth dun, put in my phone number @vzw3g.com for the username, vzw as the password and the number to call as #777. For my modem script i used Motorola, Generic Dialup. Then after that was done i hit connect, it connected and worked. Took all of 5 min.

edit: typo

Last edited:

bigbrewww1

Reaction score
there is a video on youtube on how to connect the droid to your computer using pdanet [video=youtube;DVuV65E5YtQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVuV65E5YtQ&feature=related]YouTube - How-to: Setup and use tethering (through PDAnet) on the Motorola Droid[/video] there's the link hope it helps

bcg33478

Reaction score
Tethering will not be offered by VZW at launch, but has not be permanently excluded. Currently there is no 3rd party apps supporting the android 2.0 api's. However this is likely to come. When it does it should be about $30 one time vs. $15, $30 or more a month. I suspect VZW will be on the lookout for this usage, and based on their stance on net neutrality, will make you pay with reduced access speed if you tether "unofficially." However, they supposedly support "any device any program" so who knows.... it could get very interesting. So, officially no tethering on the Moto Droid from VZW, but it will certainly come once rooted from third party developers. It will never be in the Android Market.

There is a program called PDAnet which allows tethering of BB and other smart phones. They have a program for the Droid (see link below). This program is installed on you PC laptop and adds an app on the Droid. To use, activate the app on the Droid and then tell your laptop to connect. I was able to get 2.4 Mbps connection through the Droid. There is a trial for free, full version is about $30. Found this app from a previous post in this link.

While this does provide tethering for the droid, I would becareful WRT downloads. I'm sure VZW could jack you data plan rate if they thought you were using the Droid to tether your PC.

PdaNet -- Use your Android as a USB Modem