Tethering?

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
I don't think the Droid would serve me well as a dial up device. I use a VZW "Unlimited Broadband Access" device for my laptop. I have been lucky enough to not run into the 5GB cap that most new users run into. My account was opened a long time ago. I occasionally go over the 5Gig cap too. But as of today, they still haven't slapped my wrist, but I do think they throttle me down once in a while. I am Using it right now. But only when I am on the road. When I am home I use my High Speed Cable for internet. I would think, if they ever do offer it on the Droid, you would pay full price to use it as a tethered device.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Droid would serve me well as a dial up device. I use a VZW "Unlimited Broadband Access" device for my laptop. I have been lucky enough to not run into the 5GB cap that most new users run into. My account was opened a long time ago. I occasionally go over the 5Gig cap too. But as of today, they still haven't slapped my wrist, but I do think they throttle me down once in a while. I am Using it right now. But only when I am on the road. When I am home I use my High Speed Cable for internet. I would think, if they ever do offer it on the Droid, you would pay full price to use it as a tethered device.[/QUOTE]

I think an extra $30 a month with your data of $30 a month already. I think thats how it is for BB

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah to tether a device with verizon atm, is an extra 30 on top of whatever it is that you are paying currently.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
59.99 is the going rate for VZW Unlimited Broadband Access. SO when you add it together, this is where you will be.

thomwithah

Reaction score
Tethering will not be offered by VZW at launch, but has not be permanently excluded. Currently there is no 3rd party apps supporting the android 2.0 api's. However this is likely to come. When it does it should be about $30 one time vs. $15, $30 or more a month. I suspect VZW will be on the lookout for this usage, and based on their stance on net neutrality, will make you pay with reduced access speed if you tether "unofficially." However, they supposedly support "any device any program" so who knows.... it could get very interesting. So, officially no tethering on the Moto Droid from VZW, but it will certainly come once rooted from third party developers. It will never be in the Android Market.

cgaliffi

Reaction score
Based on what I'm hearing I'll need to keep my BB as a backup and continue using it to tether until they get the Droid ready.

Getaphixx

Reaction score
I would guess YES, there will be tethering..

Weither that is from hacking/jailbreaking the droid

or

From an application written for it

or BOTH.. I'm clueless about.. But I'm positive it will happen as people don't like spendinig Extra money for something they know they can get for free...

;)

RVnut

Reaction score
No tethering will kill this phone for me! I can not believe they missed the boat again!!!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They didn't miss it persay, it will have it, it has the capability, it's just that the app that verizon uses to track the usage of it, has not been worked out 100%, i would expect to see it within the first month.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this will work with Android 2.0?

USB tethering will be built into the next CyanogenMod release. Zinx ported the code from the Hero kernel, I did the rest. It’s as simple as hitting a checkbox and plugging in a cable. -Cyanogen

usbtether.png

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, but for areas where WIFI is not possible, tethering becomes your best friend.

dean.collins

Reaction score
what? lame. ban. j/k how do you know? if you don't mind me asking...

Because I went through training this week and in our training materials it said that it is not compatible with Mobile Broadband Connect.

So I'm assuming no support for it yet, but hopefully it will be later down the road if it receives support for VZ Access Manager.

So in these "Training Manuals" did it say how Verizon is going to prevent people rooting their android device and opening up wifi?

I think Verizon should get out of the Android business if they dont think this is going to be happening from Day 1.

Feeding information to droid'etts' like you saying anything else is foolish.

Cheers,
Dean

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
what? lame. ban. j/k how do you know? if you don't mind me asking...

Because I went through training this week and in our training materials it said that it is not compatible with Mobile Broadband Connect.

So I'm assuming no support for it yet, but hopefully it will be later down the road if it receives support for VZ Access Manager.

So in these "Training Manuals" did it say how Verizon is going to prevent people rooting their android device and opening up wifi?

I think Verizon should get out of the Android business if they dont think this is going to be happening from Day 1.

Feeding information to droid'etts' like you saying anything else is foolish.

Cheers,
Dean

dean, wifi has not been disabled by verizon. the device is not compatible with mobile broadband connect yet, likely because verizon isn't sure about the security of the android OS.

dean.collins

Reaction score
ha ha - who said anything about wifi being diabled.

this is going to happen to Droid regardless of whether Verizon want it to or not.

(lol can we add a new function to this forum where you can rate up or down super moderators...some of you are just posting incorrect information.

....let me guess Sam - this is your first Android device right??