Using a Droid as a Tethered Modem

MRK

Reaction score
Anyone tried it? I was hoping to use my droid as a modem for some internet browsing today.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
You can use PDAnet to do that....

Just be aware you are violating the TOS with VZW by doing so....

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
By using PDAnet, can Verizon tell that you are teathering without paying for it?

yes and no....if you are smart and use it for light surfing you'll be fine....
Go Crazy....and you might pop up on their radar....

OP
MRK

MRK

Reaction score
Do they not already get enough out of us! Those vultures!!! What are the consequences? ?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Do they not already get enough out of us! Those vultures!!! What are the consequences? ?

It's an additional feature that when officially released for the Droid will required an additional fee... want to use it pay for it....

By going around the horn so to speak and using PDAnet they could charge yo u for all data that you Droid uses. All of it. since there is no way to tell what was phone use and what was PDAnet use...

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you tried this software

Thanks for supplying the PdaNet information. I googled and read the info on their site.

Have any of you used the software? If so, have you experienced any issues with you laptop? I'm not as worried about having to rebuild my phone. I would not wish to have to do so with my laptop.

Prior to retiring, I was an IT director and security was paramount!. Therefore, I'm cautious about any third party software that I install.

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Mike

Griffin

Reaction score
Lame.

I
It's an additional feature that when officially released for the Droid will required an additional fee... want to use it pay for it....

By going around the horn so to speak and using PDAnet they could charge yo u for all data that you Droid uses. All of it. since there is no way to tell what was phone use and what was PDAnet use...

I gotta roll with MRK on this one. Enough is enough. Charging us for tethering is just free money for them. These pricing structures are getting ridiculous. These companies are living in the past. Look at the music industry. They fought music downloads tooth and nail. Apple comes along and gives people what they want at a reasonable price and changes everything. Not too far in the future WiMax or something similar will be everywhere and you will pay one fee for access. Phone, TV, Internet, everything. The company that offers that will rule the world. Will they get sued by all the other companies who want to keep doing things the old way? Absolutely. Just like Apple has been. Right now this device is like the Napster. You say it's illegal and we must pay Verizon for every little thing they want. Why? Because they say so? Because you signed a contract? Have you read that contract? It basically says they can do whatever they want and you can't. Someone will say well just don't sign a contract, but that's not realistic when you need a cell phone and all the major carriers are dealing in the same backwards bully way. I'm not talking anarchy here. I work for the government! But there has to be a balance. This is a free market. And the market is speaking. We are speaking. Let the Droid revolution begin...

Last edited:

Darkbleed

Reaction score
If you are feeling adventurous, you can install the sholes.info ROM on your Droid and use your Droid as a mobile Wifi hotspot. Assuming you have a wireless card on your laptop, you can connect through that without making any changes to your laptop's configuration.

You can download the ROM from Sholes. Good luck!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Thanks for supplying the PdaNet information. I googled and read the info on their site.

Have any of you used the software? If so, have you experienced any issues with you laptop? I'm not as worried about having to rebuild my phone. I would not wish to have to do so with my laptop.

Prior to retiring, I was an IT director and security was paramount!. Therefore, I'm cautious about any third party software that I install.

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Mike

I have used it on several phones and never an issue with security.

PJ_ED

Reaction score
I have been using pdanet, to tether to my netbook, for about a week now. It works great! I think as long as I don't try downloading large files and just stick to surfing, VZ should never even know. I guess we will see.

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have used it for over a month now. I use it on my desktop computer, because I live in a rural community where we are just lucky to have DSL. The speed on my phone is 3 times faster then the DSL. So, I cancelled my DSL and just connect my phone when I want to surf on my desktop. I don't download anything, and have heard other people using around 10 G a month with nothing happening to them.

Shad0w325

Reaction score
I tried out PDANet last night for a bit. It worked great and the speed was very good. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and I didn't have to reconfigure anything. PDANet Modem popped up as a WiFi connection and you just connect to it just like you would connect to WiFi anywhere else. I wouldn't try downloading anything huge because of the whole VZW ToS stuff, but for normal surfing it seems ideal.

xtreme

Reaction score
i use it and have been using it, i had it on my blackberry never saw a charge for it, cause verizon has no real idea bout how your using your phone, for all they know you could be spending all day on youtube watchin videos